Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

My thoughts

rodbuster

I enjoy reading the forum and all the ideas shared but the one thing I don't ever see is this thought. I by no means consider myself a expert on detecting but I have spent thousands of hours over 40 + years in the field and find that sometimes the newest detector isn't the answers, it a new location. I read were a manufacturer will say in their ad you will be able to go to those hunted out places and uncover deeper or mast treasure missed by others, and I agree that the technology is always improving but latest and greatest isn't always the answer. I do believe you never find it all, I have been thru this many times in the past. When I look back over the great finds that I have been lucky enough to uncover it has made some terrific treasure stories, I look at my log and still relive that day or season when I had some unbelievable good luck. When I started detecting there were BFO or TR units and just a few companies making detectors, now the market has really expanded. Some companies are still here and others are gone. I still enjoy researching and my time detecting or sharing treasure stories, I have always kept a log to reference what site has payed off or not. When someone has asked I even have a list off all the detector I have owned over the years , some good and some not so. It is so important to know your machine than to have the newest on the market , thinking outside the box and using your imagination. Hunt the path less traveled, take your time and know your equipment. Looking at my log book the other day I thought back to 1985 and lake michigan water levels where at a all time high. At the time I thought no more beach hunting, the water is eroding the beach not realizing it was uncovering treasure that has not been exposed for a hundred years, what a bonanza. That opened up other new but old locations, the sidewalks that needed repair, the curb strips that were damaged and so on. This was done with the same detector, not a new detector just a new location. There are countless new locations in the same areas you have looked for years but maybe never connected the dots. The newest detector doesn't give you any advantage if the treasure you seek isn't there to find. Sometimes the journey is more fun than the destination.

All good information, thanks for sharing. Location is definitely the most important part of the puzzle when your metal detecting, just this last year I noticed this scraping going on in the park where we've hunted many times before and never found any silver there, they were planning on putting a new play ground in at this new location so they scraped off about a foot of top soil to get it level. Well, you guessed it, we found several nice silver coins in there before they got started putting the play ground up.
You definitely need to keep your eyes open for any new opportunities like this.

So true. Getting caught up in the new gear marketing frenzy is sometimes hard to resist. In the end we can only use one machine at a time and the more we know about the one we have, the better the outcome.

dfmike said:
So true. Getting caught up in the new gear marketing frenzy is sometimes hard to resist. In the end we can only use one machine at a time and the more we know about the one we have, the better the outcome.
Beware of the man who owns just one gun, he probably knows how to use it.

Yes.....brilliant post and so so accurate.I laugh when i hear somebody's field has come alive after they have bought the latest technological marvel.....all i can say is the detector they were using before was either useless or they hadn't got a clue how to use it.
Also,40 years experience gives your words quite a lot of weight......it's so good to hear somebody talking sense.

Nauti Neil said:
Yes.....brilliant post and so so accurate.I laugh when i hear somebody's field has come alive after they have bought the latest technological marvel.....all i can say is the detector they were using before was either useless or they hadn't got a clue how to use it.
Also,40 years experience gives your words quite a lot of weight......it's so good to hear somebody talking sense.

I agree 100%. I've been swinging the same detector for 8 years and it continues to bring new life back to my same old dead sites over and over again.

This notion is only realized by hunters who have been at it awhile,and likely with a very good machine to start. LEARNING EVERY ASPECT of the machine will bring more targets,including what coils to use with it! There are very few targets that will hit cleanly with one machine but not at all with another,UNLESS settings are all wrong or you downright MISS it. There is a point at which some older machines which aren’t very capable will be outpaced by newer tech, but the location really is everything,as stated. My high end machine won’t find ANYTHING in a site with nothing,but my Compadre will do quite well in a virgin old yard in town! It only makes sense,but we each only have certain options. The OP says to expand your options....it’s great advice!

I am living proof that the latest, greatest detector does not mean success nor competency. I’ve only been in the hobby for a short time and am convinced there is no replacement for experience with your machine and location.

I have to somewhat disagree..... Used a Tesoro GSII for 22years and made a lot of great finds. It's the only machine I'd ever used at that time. Started to realize that the older coins were a little deeper than the GSII was capable of so being very happy with Tesoro I stepped up to a brand new Tejon. What I noticed real quick was the Tejon was a much deeper machine than the GSII....BUT, the machine didn't give me the extra info needed to help my decision of whether to dig or not? So the time I waisted digging deeper crap actually slowed me down over the course of a hunt and less GOOD targets dug? So after following the forums here I started to notice more GOOD old coin finds on the eTrac forum so I took the spendy plunge on the eTrac. If I wouldn't have spent so much dough on the eTrac I might have wrapped it around a tree in the beginning....lol Once I started to learn the machine my finds (old coins) jumped dramatically and I kept saying to myself.....WHY didn't I do this change years ago!!!!!!! I no longer coin shoot as I have to travel too far so I've switched over to nugget shooting but I'll never part with the eTrac. With me it boils down to the fact that my hunt time is valuable and limited and the extra info the eTrac gives me allows me to be much more productive with the limited time I have. My trash to treasure ratio did a complete 180 turn once I learned (still learning) the extra info the eTrac gave...…. jmho

oneguy said:
I have to somewhat disagree..... Used a Tesoro GSII for 22years and made a lot of great finds. It's the only machine I'd ever used at that time. Started to realize that the older coins were a little deeper than the GSII was capable of so being very happy with Tesoro I stepped up to a brand new Tejon. What I noticed real quick was the Tejon was a much deeper machine than the GSII....BUT, the machine didn't give me the extra info needed to help my decision of whether to dig or not? So the time I waisted digging deeper crap actually slowed me down over the course of a hunt and less GOOD targets dug? So after following the forums here I started to notice more GOOD old coin finds on the eTrac forum so I took the spendy plunge on the eTrac. If I wouldn't have spent so much dough on the eTrac I might have wrapped it around a tree in the beginning....lol Once I started to learn the machine my finds (old coins) jumped dramatically and I kept saying to myself.....WHY didn't I do this change years ago!!!!!!! I no longer coin shoot as I have to travel too far so I've switched over to nugget shooting but I'll never part with the eTrac. With me it boils down to the fact that my hunt time is valuable and limited and the extra info the eTrac gives me allows me to be much more productive with the limited time I have. My trash to treasure ratio did a complete 180 turn once I learned (still learning) the extra info the eTrac gave...…. jmho

The Etrac is an awesome detector. But main stream folks now consider it, along with many other units, old school or old tech. Right now if your not swinging an Equinox, XP Deus, or an Anfibio you're not with the program. In next few months those will probably be considered out dated and if you don't get with program you not gonna be successful. lol. :rage:

2 Much Trash said:

The Etrac is an awesome detector. But main stream folks now consider it, along with many other units, old school or old tech. Right now if your not swinging an Equinox, XP Deus, or an Anfibio you're not with the program. In next few months those will probably be considered out dated and if you don't get with program you not gonna be successful. lol. :rage:

I mentioned "I no longer coin shoot and switched to nugget hunting".....so I could care less about a Nox, Deus, or?..... wake up McFly!!!!!! The eTrac will also hold it's place in history as one of the best coin shooters of all time for many years to come regardless of what else comes along...….imo. This thread kinda leaned toward "it's not the machine but the operator & the location". My point was basically that not all machines are created equally...….

All things being equal, such as everyone being on the same site, I feel that experience is the most important factor. Most of these guys on here can beat the pants off of me even if they use an old detector, and I use the latest and greatest detector. (!)
One reason for this is because they know thier machine so well. Anytime you get a new machine, the learning curve will be pretty steep. So for a while, while you are learning your new machine (which seems to get more complex all the time), the guys with thier old machines will beat you every time.
When they start coming out with the MRI Xray type machines, where you can actually see the target, I'm getting one. Even if it takes me a while to master it. I don't care how good the older machines are supposed to be. Even then, experience will be most important factor, such as what sites to hunt, etc.

This is one of the best threads I've read. One can tell the replies were made by veteran hunters. It takes time to feel your on the same page as your machine.
The modern machines I believe are made to interest the younger computer savie guys. Taking time to sift threw programs before you dig. I dunno about that.

I’m relatively new at detecting 3 years and have owed 4 different detectors 1 was brand new my nox I see a lot of guys going to fast coil to high above the ground just not taking their time I’m no expert but I pull some serious silver and my first gold coin but I’m a slow and meticulous hunter and always circle a questionable signal and it pays off.
Just take your time get to know your machine a lot of the areas I hunt were hunted for years hard and they still produce sometimes with the nox or the Deus.

Helloeverybody.
The Buddha realized that a man can have 40 Yrs. of experience,and only come to find, it was Delusional
stoneshirt...

Yes, a very experienced user with his $500.00 metal detector will dig a lot more good finds than a new user will with a $2500.00 machine.

As already mentioned - these days, way to much attention is being paid to owning the "next new greatest detector" - it's settings - what frequencies to run in, what coil to use, etc.

The formula for making great finds is simpler than most people realize -

(1) Operator skill level is critical - know your detector inside out by spending a lot of time in the field using it.
(2) Research is key - taking the time to do research will often lead you to sites that have not been hunted to death.
(3) Any good operator - even with a mid quality detector will make great find at these sites.

Good Hunting !

Thanks everyone for reading or replying to My Thoughts, reading your comment's I have learned a lot from you. What keeps us going in this sport is the unknown, what adventures are waiting for us around the next corner. The wonder of what the next signal will bring and the opportunity to be able to have that new adventure each time we go out. After all these years it is still exciting, the wonder has not faded and that next signal puts a smile on your face. The adventure never gets old, stay safe and enjoy this great hobby.