Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Need help with Excalibur 2

I have a excalibur 2 with 10'' coil. I bought it to use at Myrtle Beach. I am having trouble using it. Pinpointing is very difficult for me and I only recover 1/2 the items that I locate. Pinpoint also is not as deep as discriminate. I can locate something in disc and switch to pinpoint and I get no indication of anything at all until I remove some sand, this does happen every time but is but happens a lot. I have tried different settings and this doesn't seem to help. normally run disc at o sensitivity 3 or 4 volume max threshold barely audible. I have varied them all around and it doesn't seem to help. I have been detecting about 40 years and have used a lot of different detectors. In addition to the Excal, I have a Etrac,Explorer Se Pro and a garrett 550 GTAx. My main detector for the last 4 years was a Explorer 2. So I don't feel like an amateur but the excal is giving me a tough time. I am using it now in a local fresh water lake. Any suggestions or advice would be appreciated. Email acsmith6@verizon.net Thanks Charles

From your post I would say that something is wrong. Pinpoint to me is wayyyyyy deeper than discriminate. Is your machine still under warranty? If so, send it to Minelab and have them look at it. It could be any number of problems. Bad coil, bad pots, bad etc....

Not recovering half the items you locate is odd. Maybe your machine is falsing to the point of making it useless. I would tend to think that it is a mechanical / electrical problem from your description of your problem.

My Excalibur II 1000 is awesome. It pinpoints perfectly and it is deep.

I am finding that pinpoint is great for the ocean beaches but is not as good when detecting on dry land with lots of trash. Makes me HAVE to get used to using sound to figure out if it is a digger or not.

My experience at the ocean is that there is a lot less trash in most cases that pin point is the way to go. Seems all the aluminum and steel trash just corrodes away and so the beaches are fairly clean. I have found rings and such at depths in pinpoint that discriminate just cannot touch.

Post your settings, it could give us a clue as to the problem

See the SEF thread. Just posted a message there on how I pinpoint with the 10" using the tail end of the coil. Otherwise it's a problem for me as well doing it with the center. Don't think your machine is broken if pinpoint isn't as deep as discriminate. Many of us also find the same to be true. There's an old debate still raging on which is deeper on the Sovereigns and Excals. I've never found pinpoint to be deeper at various sites on my GT. I wouldn't send a machine in based on somebody's opinion because they fall on one side of this arguement.

Critterhunter said:
See the SEF thread. Just posted a message there on how I pinpoint with the 10" using the tail end of the coil. Otherwise it's a problem for me as well doing it with the center. Don't think your machine is broken if pinpoint isn't as deep as discriminate. Many of us also find the same to be true. There's an old debate still raging on which is deeper on the Sovereigns and Excals. I've never found pinpoint to be deeper at various sites on my GT. I wouldn't send a machine in based on somebody's opinion because they fall on one side of this arguement.
Maybe you did not read his whole post.

He said he was using an Excalibur II 1000. We are not talking about the Sovereign GT and so that is not even an issue here. The Sovereign GT is one kick butt machine and to that I agree. I bet that SEF coil on your GT really covers the area fast. The Excalibur although the same electronics, is in my opinion, different. It is not as land friendly as the GT but it sure makes up for it in the water.

He said he cannot find half the finds which to me means to me that he is getting false readings. I never said that the machine was broke because he is deeper with discriminate. He is not finding anything in the hole half the time. If the machine is falsing......which I figured from what he said....then it is time to send it in. My comments to him was not based on my opinion. It was based on his comments. No sense suffering with a bad machine or coil. GET IT FIXED.

His standard 10 inch coil should pin point dead center as mine does. He is having problems pin pointing and finding targets. So......it could very well be that he has a bad coil. I had a coil go bad on me once and it would not pin point worth a darn. As it turned out it had a small crack on the side (must have happened when I dropped the Excalibur on the concrete. I was also having problems with spurious signals. Salt water got in and that was all she wrote.

I have been reading the postings in regards to pin point (AM) versus discriminate. All I can say is this......I have hunted the Gulf Beaches for many years with the Excalibur machines. I can prove that pin point is way better in the saltwater beach and water environment. I do that every day I hunt the beaches and water. I would not recommend using all metal on dry land or fresh water as there is just too much trash. The sea reclaims aluminum and steel so there is less of it near salt water and so pin point is ideal.

Finderskeeper: I'm with you and so is most people that hunt salt water beaches with the Excall. Maybe Minelab got the knob on wrong but PP is way!!! deeper than disc. but some GT owners say no and that's fine. If that fellow can't find half his targets with the experience and machines he has used it has to be something broken. JMHO HH :minelab:

Kered, I will post my settings again. I normally hunt in discriminate, Because it is much deeper than pinpoint. If I locate something in disc a lot of the time pinpoint will not even make any sound at all until i remove material from the top. Threshold barley audible. volume max. sensitivity 2 to 3. Disc 1.
concerning the other replies. I appreciate every one's comments. One thing on the recovery of only 50% of my targets, I don't think they are false signals as I just move them around and they are still there, I just finally give up and move on to another signal. Sending the unit for repair is not an option at this point. We are going to the beach in a couple of weeks and plan to stay a the beach for at least two weeks and possibly three. I understand that Minelabs turn around time is very long at this time. Thanks everyone. Charles

Which beach are you going to? VB?

Settings look ok to me although the sensitivity seams a bit low but that is relative to the beach, i thought maybe you had it up full and were getting falses, cutting back on the volume slightly may help smooth out the all metal threshold and stabalise it a bit. Maybe Finderskeepers is right and it has a fault. Mine is way deeper in All Metal too and i mostly hunt that way, although my Sovereign XS2aPro is about the same in both modes. I would take the Etrac or Explorer with you as well as they work much better than the excalibur on the wet/dry (out of the water) for me and if you meet anyone with an excalibur try to compare yours with thiers and see the difference, this may help you decide if it needs a trip to minelab or not.

With out getting in to the debate of which mode is deeper :argue:I would stick with it over your holidays and let us know how you went.Also i noticed that the other machines you have owned have display screens that help a bit by giving you target depth and and a rough idea of what you are looking for in the hole,it took me a while to learn the difference by sound only.
My advice is get use to the sound of the different targets and buy yourself a BIG SCOOP. aaaand one more thing my excal is deeper in disc!!! sorry I couldn't help myself:lol:

Cheers Ron:ausflag:

Im at a loss on this one.

Charles you have a lot of experience using widescan coils(explorer II) and the excal should pinpoint the same way.

my only suggestion would be to remove the coil cover and see if that helps it at all. sand and water in the cover can cause it to false as it moves around.

Neil

I don't want to go into the PP versus Discriminate debate again either, so I'll just keep it short and say my friend's Excalibur is not as deep in PP as it is in discriminate, just like my GT. What I can tell you is that more than likely you are suffering the same learning curve on pinpointing a target that I did with the Sovereign. To me it's NOT the same as the Explorers I've owned. Those machines were just plain out and out lousy and a hand held pinpointer was a must to recovery any kind of target at a reasonable speed. I had the Sunray probe on two of them I think and it was worth it to have one. With the Sovereign at first I thought it was just as bad and the same in respect to how the Explorer pinpointed, but after 4 or 5 hunts I realized it was different than how it worked on the Explorer. Being different meant learning to use it a different way, and luckily it also meant that it was better at pinpointing than my Explorers. Using the center of the coil I could get pretty decent accuracy on targets, with the exception of false coin hits off the side of iron. Until you learn those you'll dig a few empty holes. Even though pinpointing was pretty good with the 10" using the center of the coil, I found my 15x12 was laser accurate using the tip of the coil at the base of the "V". So, when I switched back to the 10" this week for the first time in months I was no longer happy with using the center of the coil. It just wasn't as accurate as my SEF and I wanted more. Tried the tip of the 10" and it doesn't seem to work. Way too hot. Tried the tail of the coil and it works just like the SEF for the most part. Maybe still not quite as percise but much more than I can do with the center of the coil. Now I'm finding my targets within the diameter of a pop can's bottom versus having to dig holes about as big around as a medium soup can.

Don't try to use PP on the Sovereign like on the Explorer. It gave me FITS until I learned otherwise. I was in the same boat as you for a while and really starting to wonder. Others may differ but at least for me until I learned that the technique was unique for both machines that's when things got much better, and it's now much more precise for me than I was able to do with the Explorer. I'd say the SEF is more accurate at PP than any coil I've used on any machine now, and I'd say PP on the 10" is as good as most other machines I've used. Just have to find which technique works best for you and learn it with practice. Some can hear the PP get highest more easily by using the center of the coil and prefer that. Others, like me, prefer to not hear PP react until it's right near the edge of the coil using the above methods. You just want to hear the first beginnings of the threshold start to react and then you know the target is right off the edge of the coil. How far is based on how deep and large it is, which comes with a little practice.

Then there's deep stuff that PP simply won't hear. When that happens I use discriminate to PP the target in the same fashion as above. It's a little different and I'm still learning it but it's decent and will improve with more experience. Just wiggle the coil over the target as you move the coil forward or backward (depending on which coil) and find it that way. Once done I go 90 degrees and re-do it to get even a little more precise. I'm still giving up on targets too that PP can't hear and are real deep but in a sea of trash where I can't seem to get right on them with PP in discriminate. That's rare because I don't like walking by a target, but if I've been up and down hills in the woods for 8 hours my will power is at it's limits and I'm not going to kneel down for 20 minutes trying to chase things down. On the other hand, in real heavy trash using discriminate might be the only way to PP a target, as PP will react with anything nearby and throw you off, where as discriminate will clue you off to which target you are after.

Well i think i read every ones post here, and if i may say without being there to try your machine. I don't think you have a problem with the detector, 1 I would turn your sens. up higher unless you are in black sand and even then you still should be on at least sens.6.

2. The best response and pinpointing a target is when it is about a 1/4 of the way back from the front center.

3. From my experience and talking to others many people feel PP is not as deep as disc on the Excal II. But it is much deeper then disc. but that only can be determined by site location. Some places disc. is deeper again site location. The other reason people feel it is not as deep is because it will not sound as loud as disc. But experienced hunters who learn and use PP understand there listing for faint sounds.

4. I know you said you have been detecting for 40 yrs. but your first scoop has to be placed right and at the right angle or it makes target recovery difficult.
I myself have hunted with people who have way more detecting experience then i do and i still see some of them digging all over to find a target. Also very deep targets tend to be hard to PP but still can be done. Please don't take what i say the wrong way i,m just trying to help you.

5. You may want to check out some of OldBeechnut and Surfdiggers videos

Check out this video you will see how deep i dig with all metal PP I,m wearing the Black jacket and running the camera is Brian (Surfdigger)
Really watch from 3:53 in video. The reason i,m digging a wide hole is because the target is so deep i,m trying to get the coil closer then check in disc.
If you just got the Excal take a target and lay it right on the surface were you can see it, while sweeping over it correlate that to your signal response.

Spots and techniques that produce on those winter sanded in beaches
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v2h9JXqY9OE&feature=player_embedded

Several of the early excal 2's had coil problems...small hairline cracks..Mr Gold Master had 2 excal 2's that he had to replace the coils. Hope yours is a newer model.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-WxXBhPAZAw

Also, just because you've got years of detecting experience doesn't mean it isn't going to be a pain to learn how to PP with an Excalibur or Sovereign. It was for me, and like said I also had to re-learn false coin hits from iron that would cause me to dig phantom holes. Another potential problem is that even a good target can vanish once the ground is disturbed. If it's still in the hole then it might not sound off any more. That's not a problem for me since I use a ProPointer. Even if it's on the surface it might not make a noise. I've seen coins laying right on the surface that wouldn't sound off when swept over, mainly because FBS and BBS machines might not be able to "see" it with the ground load no longer present.

OBN, thanks for the PP video for the excalibur, that can be used for the sovereign users also. GH, Don