Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Need settings for depth!

MEV

Hello everyone yesterday i was detecting and was not going well, i decided to make some tests , i buried a thick copper coin about 6 inches, me settings were, ferros , sensitivity 30, zero descrimiation,and combined, the ctx would not find the coin. The only way it would detect the coin is passing the coil really but really slow but i mean really slow, what am i doing wrong ?

Stock 11" coil Manual Sens at 30? Something isn't right...

Strange, clean under your coil cover? Reset connections? Try a different coil?

Perhaps a factory reset in case you made some other change.

the problem is you are trying to detect a freshly buried coin! You have to give the ground time to re-settle and compact with good contact on the coin.

think of the ground like an insulator. If a material is dense, engery passes through it easy. If you make it less dense, the energy doesn't have a solid path and does not travel as far. Your detector coil is putting out radio wave energy and listening to radio wave energy. If that energy has a harder time getting down to the coin, its going to have a MUCH harder time coming back from coin because there is so much less power to start with.

Go out and water your buried coin. stomp on it, jump on it, water it some more. give it a few months and then see what response you get.

A freshly buried coin will be picked up by the detector a six inches, especially if he is running at 30 and even more likely if it is a thick copper coin (large cent?). Now you can swing too slow to possibly not hear a deep coin, I have been over that in other threads. What about in pinpoint MEV?

Hello everyone, thanks for your response, i did not pinpoint, but as i remember i didnt had fast on, could that be the ansewer ? Next time i will make with more time tests

GKMan said:
A freshly buried coin will be picked up by the detector a six inches, especially if he is running at 30 and even more likely if it is a thick copper coin (large cent?). Now you can swing too slow to possibly not hear a deep coin, I have been over that in other threads. What about in pinpoint MEV?

You are making assumptions about his soil mineralizations, and his local background EMI. Just because a 6" coin is easy to detect for you doesn't necessarily mean the same for him.

If he can run sensitivity at 30 and the machine is running fairly stable, then I would make the same assumptions that he should be able to detect such large coin at 6". A simple noise cancel should get rid of the worst of EMI. Something is not right. Try burying coin in another spot and repeat the test just to be sure that there was nothing in the ground that could interfere with the coin signal. Try auto sensitivity and see what the machine is recommending. Lower numbers mean worse mineralization. When you say that the machine could not detect the coin, do you mean no signal at all, or a low skewed signal? Just trying to figure this one out.

I had to pass the coil really slow i mean really slow, so that the ctx 3030 will detect the coin and yes it was a skewed slow signal. I will have to make many tests , i was with 11 inch coil

I had an issue like this last year and I do believe it has to do with it being a fresh bury, but one other thing I hadn't even considered until somebody mentioned it to me was making sure the coil was screwed in the whole way. I typically would only screw mine in a few turns - just enough to keep it from coming loose. Turns out it was limiting my depth. I screwed it all the way in tight and it increased my depth immediately.

Umm what does the CTX do with the coin in an air test?
All of the standard config modes with default settings should find it.
If not, try an alternative coil.
If it works ok then the soil is highly mineralized. I would think it would still work though - but if not, try setting NC manually to 11.
If EMI noise, live with it and see if it works. Drop Sens back manually as an experiment, but not less than 21.
As suggested above your ground balance could be enabled and screwing you up. It is kind of tricky the way it has to be set for disabled.

Any update MEV? Are you getting a good target trace? Are the volume settings messed up, try no headphones?

Hello Gkman , i havent been out yet , when i do i will make all kind of tests , not only with copper coins. I will post it here!

Try a manual NC setting of 11 - or let us know what auto NC comes up with. If a low number it seems to cut out some targets - especially in ferrous mode like you are.
Try playing with a bobby pin, ferrous mode, and NC manually 11 down to one - wait several seconds for the setting to take. I found that 11 seems most open and 1 most restrictive.
The other suggestion is just find another CTX to compare to as it is a quick test.
Another thing - try boosting Audio Gain up to 30 or so.

I would take a look at where you are doing your test and try a different spot as the CTX should do about three times that depth. As well it will always go deeper the less reject you use--as with any detector. A Sensitivity of "30" is too high as well--interference from nearby power sources will create noise that will prevent the machine from hearing targets. "22" is a good setting to see what this machine will do. Slow your sweep down. Try some air testing on a bench with the coil suspended away from any metal. This will give you a better idea of what to expect in the field.
cjc
clivesgoldpage.com

Thought of a couple other possibilities:
1) you might not be able to hear the detect frequency as well as other frequencies. I've read that some people have notches out of their hearing, so might be a good idea to try several different types of targets at that depth to see if some you hear and some not - look at the screen to see if all are detected but just don't sound off well.
2) Check to see what your Volume Gain is set at. Try boosting it up to 30 for this testing. If too low level, deeper targets could get missed. What headset you use could make a difference here too.

It sounds like MEV is just looking for settings for depth. That's all. I have run my ctx for 2yrs. and I haven't seen that answer.
Ray

What the heck is a manual NC 11.
I can't figure what that setting is and I no all the settings.
So what are you saying hear without the abbreviation's