Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Need some advice for hunting an old dump site.

I currently have the Equinox 800 with the all three coils. I know that I will be using the 6 inch coil in the dumpsite. Could anyone give me some suggestions on what settings might be best for a dumpsite? This will be at the Garrett Memorial hunt which has a historical dumpsite that covers many acres on the property. There have been many nice coins and relics pulled out of the site in the past.

Thanks in advance for any help!

Hard to say , i guess it would really depend on how trashy and how much iron you have to deal with. . I have a sight near me which was a dump sight where the honey dipper would dump waste from peoples outhouses...i know sounds gross but long before i knew of this sight some people dug some awesome old bottles from 1850s to early 1900s... so i got to thinking,if the process used to scoop out these outhouses back in the 1800s did a thorough job of scraping the bottom out then a would stand to reason there should be some coins in the mix..i tried hunting it years back without any success mostly due to too much iron mixed with mineralized ash and what not ,just plain too rich with stuff i dont want my detector to sound off on...cant hurt to try i guess... good luck...

Garrett Memorial Hunt is a old dump site? This sounds hilarious! You’ve got some good equipment, so just use your best instincts. I’ve hunted some places I’ve described as a dump, but not the actual real deal. Will be anxious to hear how it went. Good luck!

If I hunt it the nox will be set to cherry pick coins

The free range area is the old dump site and the seeded area is regular. The dump site has produce a bunch of great finds. The trash isn’t just piled up it is spread through many acres of land. There was civil war activity in the area. My buddy pulled a Texas civil war button and I found a pocket watch spill (8 in one hole) the first year. It has been a really good time the first two years.

Best advice I could give ya for hunting a old dump site would be to buy a Etrac...you’ll dig minimal trash..

Felderhoff if this is indeed a period dump there is no such thing trash, if there is a mix of modern then its a different story because of the time constraint. You mentioned the spread and acreage so target saturation could vary quite a bit. During the hunt I would recommend running with slight threshold or all metal {with iron volume tuned down} to determine the ferrous level. As the iron level intensifies speed up your recovery and increase your iron bias. Field one would be my default mode based on coke in the ground from coal being burned in that era. The six incher is lethal in this environment just don't over speed your sweep because I find it to be a little overwhelming trying to sort all the targets that this combo will see. Just a few thoughts IMO.
Jeff

The Felderhoff said:
Thank you Jeff! I appreciate the advice
Hope it helps out, I would love to be in your shoes at that hunt or hunting along side. Work calls :nopity: A report would be great to see how you get along.
Jeff

the dump is located on the edge of the property. The area has some trashy spots but the entire place is not a dump I found a V nickle there last year and lots of iron.

At the Garret hunt in East Texas, you NEED to dig every signal. They have iron cannon balls, iron rifle barrels, pistols, lead bullets, brass items, copper, etc., so dont discriminate anything and dig it all.