Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Need Threshold Help.

fastdraw

Ok... After 16 months of detecting with my Nox-600 I think I have a good handle on ALL the functions, except Threshold. I have read the Manuel (Page-44) and I still don't really get it..! I kinda do... But I kinda don't. How many of you out there "Actively" use and fully understand this function. Teach Me..!

I sometimes use the threshold in the Park, Field and Beach modes IF I am tired of listening to iron responses. In Park, Field and Beach modes the threshold tone is a reference tone which means it will give you a steady tone in the background that will go silent over any target that responds with a target ID that has been rejected in your search pattern. If you are hunting with nothing rejected in your search pattern in Park, Field or Beach mode the threshold tone will not do you any good. It will not amplify weak signals in those modes and it will not go silent over any targets if none are rejected.

There have been many VLF detectors that had a threshold tone for search modes that are discrimination modes. Some were just for going silent over rejected targets and some actually gave a boosted volume level to the target tones on weaker signals even if you kept the threshold tone on a low setting.

The threshold tone for the Gold modes has a little of both of the features described above. Most gold prospectors will hunt with nothing or as little as possible rejected if their detector will let them even do that. The Equinox Gold modes will let you reject and accept target IDs just the same as in Park, Field and Beach. The only ones I sometimes reject are -9 and maybe -8 if hot rocks and ground noise are just too much for me to audibly handle. If a target falls on -8 or -9 in that case, the threshold tone will go silent momentarily just like it does in Park, Field and Beach modes. On really weak targets that may be very small or very deep and aren't being rejected by discrimination, the Gold mode threshold setting will amplify the target tone even if the threshold tone is set at 3 or 4 which means it is basically inaudible. You won't hear the constant threshold hum but your weak targets will be easier to hear. Usually, since I only reject -9 most of the time, I keep my threshold tone in the Gold modes on 7 or 8 so I can just barely hear it. It really helps to hear tiny gold pickers and small gold nuggets that may be mostly masked by the iron mineralization and volcanic hot rocks. These small pieces of gold will respond with positive numbers on or near the surface but will have negative number responses just like iron when they are deeper due to the mineralization pulling their conductivity down. Even a fairly low setting for the threshold will help these target signals a lot.

So, to sum it up, the Equinox constant threshold tone will go silent over rejected targets in all of the search modes. It will also boost the target tone in the Gold modes if the target is really small and/or fairly deep. It has little effect on larger targets.

If I was hunting in an area like you hunt in for really deep silver or relics, I might try using the Gold modes with -9 and -8 rejected with the threshold on 8 or so. Any really deep targets with faint whisper signals that give a gold/lead/brass range VDIs or high VDIs in the upper 20s to upper 30s would be worth investigating. If those numbers stay constant in all swing directions I would be digging. I would try this in an area that has already been hunted for the shallower easy stuff or in an area that seems like it might have some really deep targets.

I think most don't really "get" Threshold. I use it all day every day in the field. Threshold is that background hum that you hear once you engage it But more importantly its the coming and going of the threshold that is the information that you want. When it drops out to silence it's telling you about something being there. It drops out for a reason. You can dig extremely deep targets with just the Threshold. Guys have been doing it and using it since the old days. I am more inclined to leave all metal off and just hunt with the hum of the threshold coming and going. Try it at a low level. I hunt threshold tone 2 volume 4. just a quiet hum barely audible but enough to listen to. When I'm on a old site the iron signals are a given so why bother listening to them grunt grunt grunt it's not helping you. Leave that out. Use the threshold nice and quiet and concentrate on faint deep signals. Get out there.

Attachments

• deep.jpg
    deep.jpg
    124.6 KB · Views: 105
I sometimes use the threshold in the Park, Field and Beach modes IF I am tired of listening to iron responses. In Park, Field and Beach modes the threshold tone is a reference tone which means it will give you a steady tone in the background that will go silent over any target that responds with a target ID that has been rejected in your search pattern. If you are hunting with nothing rejected in your search pattern in Park, Field or Beach mode the threshold tone will not do you any good. It will not amplify weak signals in those modes and it will not go silent over any targets if none are rejected.

There have been many VLF detectors that had a threshold tone for search modes that are discrimination modes. Some were just for going silent over rejected targets and some actually gave a boosted volume level to the target tones on weaker signals even if you kept the threshold tone on a low setting.

The threshold tone for the Gold modes has a little of both of the features described above. Most gold prospectors will hunt with nothing or as little as possible rejected if their detector will let them even do that. The Equinox Gold modes will let you reject and accept target IDs just the same as in Park, Field and Beach. The only ones I sometimes reject are -9 and maybe -8 if hot rocks and ground noise are just too much for me to audibly handle. If a target falls on -8 or -9 in that case, the threshold tone will go silent momentarily just like it does in Park, Field and Beach modes. On really weak targets that may be very small or very deep and aren't being rejected by discrimination, the Gold mode threshold setting will amplify the target tone even if the threshold tone is set at 3 or 4 which means it is basically inaudible. You won't hear the constant threshold hum but your weak targets will be easier to hear. Usually, since I only reject -9 most of the time, I keep my threshold tone in the Gold modes on 7 or 8 so I can just barely hear it. It really helps to hear tiny gold pickers and small gold nuggets that may be mostly masked by the iron mineralization and volcanic hot rocks. These small pieces of gold will respond with positive numbers on or near the surface but will have negative number responses just like iron when they are deeper due to the mineralization pulling their conductivity down. Even a fairly low setting for the threshold will help these target signals a lot.

So, to sum it up, the Equinox constant threshold tone will go silent over rejected targets in all of the search modes. It will also boost the target tone in the Gold modes if the target is really small and/or fairly deep. It has little effect on larger targets.

If I was hunting in an area like you hunt in for really deep silver or relics, I might try using the Gold modes with -9 and -8 rejected with the threshold on 8 or so. Any really deep targets with faint whisper signals that give a gold/lead/brass range VDIs or high VDIs in the upper 20s to upper 30s would be worth investigating. If those numbers stay constant in all swing directions I would be digging. I would try this in an area that has already been hunted for the shallower easy stuff or in an area that seems like it might have some really deep targets.
Wow... That's a mouthful. But it's a great answer. I guess I'm going to have to re-read what you posted several times before it sinks in

I think most don't really "get" Threshold. I use it all day every day in the field. Threshold is that background hum that you hear once you engage it But more importantly its the coming and going of the threshold that is the information that you want. When it drops out to silence it's telling you about something being there. It drops out for a reason. You can dig extremely deep targets with just the Threshold. Guys have been doing it and using it since the old days. I am more inclined to leave all metal off and just hunt with the hum of the threshold coming and going. Try it at a low level. I hunt threshold tone 2 volume 4. just a quiet hum barely audible but enough to listen to. When I'm on a old site the iron signals are a given so why bother listening to them grunt grunt grunt it's not helping you. Leave that out. Use the threshold nice and quiet and concentrate on faint deep signals. Get out there.
Good answer... I'll give it a try

Isn't threshold only adjustable on the 800?
Off/On and volume level are adjustable on the 600. Pitch in addition, is adjustable on the 800.

Threshold between the 600 and 800 is basically the same in ability to adjust, the pitch changes are a bell and whistle only.

I always use threshold. It gives realtime info of the trashy conditions but mostly, it quickly tells about instability.