Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

New Bandido II umax

fematrailer

Won a Tesoro Bandido II umax off of eBay.
I've wanted one for years and now it's being shipped.
What I need are some seasoned users of this model to give me some tips and info on hunting techniques.

Depends on where and what you will be hunting with it.

fematrailer said:
Won a Tesoro Bandido II umax off of eBay.
I've wanted one for years and now it's being shipped.
What I need are some seasoned users of this model to give me some tips and info on hunting techniques.

Did you get the one with the extra coil, or the one with 8" only? If you bought the one with the 5.75" + 8", then you're set up. If you got the one with 8" only, you may want to get the 5.75 for it too. Those two coils, 8" and 5.75" are my two favorites and most used. Use 8" in the cleaner and less mineralized spots, and 5.75 in more trashy places.

As far as using it, set threshold to a low, steady hum. If not in highly mineralized soil (gravel, hotrocks, red clay, etc..) start with sensitivity about 10, then ground balance using Monte's "power balance" method. You can then adjust sensitivity and GB slightly as needed. Once ground balanced, I generally turn sensitivity up 'till it just gives an occasional chirp as I'm swinging; usually with knob pointer about the edge to middle of the faceplate screw. Run as little discrimination as you can stand... I usually set mine about "4", as that's where .22 shells break up (lots of them where I've been going). One of the nicest things about Bandidos is that steel bottle caps are more or less GONE well before nickels break up; much better than with several other Tesoros I have. Not a whole lot you need to know about the Bandido; they just WORK!

I mostly use Welgund's "backup" Bandido II μmax that I bought from him a while back. It's presently my favorite Tesoro, many places I go. It found me another couple silver dimes and wheat cents yesterday afternoon, and I'm hoping it'll find more this afternoon (if I can get out).

Ground Balance in all metal mode... I run mine in Auto Re-tune, Discrimination set as low as you choose, with a medium speed easy sweep,... I run mine just below nickles, There are few places here that jewelry would be recovered, so that's as low as I run my Disc., and setting there eliminates a great deal of trash... Some suggest running your discrimination turned all the way down to zero, you' will have to decide that based on your hunt sites and what you are hunting for and how many pieces of trash you are willing to dig..., aside from that, you and crank the sensitivity until it begins to false or chatter, then dial it back a touch. I usually tune both threshold, and Sensitivity to somewhere around the 3-4 O'clock position, and I have found that of all the search coils the stock 8" brown do-nut, it's a very nice all around coil even when compared to aftermarket options, its hard to beat, but the Tesoro 5.75" concentric is what i use, ... if you were to ever consider an alternate coil, that 5.75" concentric would be the one. I have found the B2µMax runs good with the clean sweep coil also, ... You will definitely enjoy that machine, It's really is one of my favorites.

Yes I got the one with the extra coil. I spoke to Alan at Tesoro and he said since it has the two tie wraps it may have never been used. I am excited!

Since there are no numbers on the discrimination I'm guessing you just have to do it manually with a nickel?

thats funny.... yeah what Pinenut said...we must have been typing at the same time.

yeah I have Mine Marked where 5¢ filter out... and also a mark that shows where the smallest piece of gold I own registers in at. I run at the 5¢ mark when coin shooting, and @ the lower setting if I were after jewelry... I have no idea how one would set it up for relic hunting, I suppose in all metal mode, but I haven't had the Chance to get into that too much, ... those two coils are all you'll ever really need. enjoy.

There is a graph in the manual you can download from tesoros websight that will show general numbers where things disc out but it's only a guide. But good to use to start off until you learn the machine.
I printed these out for each of my older detectors with the number scheme.
U have a feeling you'll like the audio frequency. It's my favorite part of the older tesoros.

Also when bench testing you'll notice you can disc out a dime but still hit a clad quarter and silver. You can then go up until the clad quarter discs out and still hit silver.y second favorite thing about this machine. Because of the 120 disc and the specific way they spread it, the top and middle are spread out more than, say, a 180 unit where none of the above can be disced out and ring in at max. For a coin a jewelry detector it's really nice.

And the other coil you got, it was listed as a 6.25 which I'm not familiar with so it may be a discontinued coil. The 5.75 now doesn't come with the sticker that was pictured.

I suggest downloading the manual and understanding the machine, especially the retune feature for the no motion all metal, because you will need to periodically return it depending on how you jump between modes and if you use the retune button in no motion for super pinpointing. The outlaw has the same features except it's a button instead of a toggle as well as the outlaws button allows for momentary switch to no motion or auto return in disc mode by half pressing or full pressing the button in disc.
With the Bandido the confusion isn't there so much but still need to hold the coil up to retune (detune in this case which means reset the threshold hum) to get it back to normal.

It sounds complicated but it's really not and to be honest I do t use the retune hardly at all because I just x the target in disc to pinpoint, but it's a cool feature (super pinpointing) that the bandido II micromax and outlaw share if you like to use it.

But mostly you won't need to play with it but a good idea to familiarize yourself with it in case you need to reset it for some reason.

Remember to fill us in on how it's working out for you!!!

Thanks. I will let y'all know.

fematrailer said:
Since there are no numbers on the discrimination I'm guessing you just have to do it manually with a nickel?

Should be a 1-10 scale for discrimination dial.
The normal knob looked to be replaced with a bigger one if I remember the photos right.

Yes here's a pic. Tabmans pic from another thread...

I will just have to bench test it to know where I'm at. Thanks

I just figured it out. He swapped the ground balance knob with the descriminate knob!!! That's why there is no marking for the discrimination

Just looked and your disc knob is large so you can't see the numbers. Maybe switch your threshold knob with your disc knob. It's the only small knob you have left lol. You can set the knob to disc out something you want to set it to and tighten it there.

Looks like the GB knob is the large too.
Looks like he bought new knobs but bought the large ones from Tesoro. The tejon had at least one larger one

I'll have to look at it when I get it. I hope I don't have to send it in to Tesoro

Heck no you don't!!!
Any Tesoro dealer sells the knobs lol.
The cost of shipping may suck but you can find a place that will throw them in a cheaper padded envelope.
But setting it is up to you. You get to pick what number you want whatever target you choose discs out. Or keep it how it is by putting a sticky label on the housing, moving it all the way to whichever side you put the label, make a mark where the knob stops and the white line is, then loosen the knob via the set screw on the side of the knob. Then you put the new one on, align the line on the new knob with your mark you made on the sticky label and tighten the set screw on that one and then remove the sticky label and you're done.
Sounds complex but not really.

Or you move the pot to a target discing out with the knob off, put the new knob on to the number you want it to disc out on, then tighten it.
If needed we can tell you where something like a zinc disc out and you can still it to that.

It's all up to you. It's your machine!!!
But the numbers helped me to be able to see and remember

Those are great ideas. I think I'll do the tape and mark thing. Thanks!!