Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

New coil

SwampeR

Hello everyone new Etrac owner from NEW JERSEY, most of the trash here is IRON ORE and RUSTY NAILS and lots of it. Question is which coil do I order first, the coil with the most votes is the one I will try first, then I will purchase a second and possibly a third. I will post my OPINIONS with time, please remember I am NEW with the ETrac and I look for help from all of you good people. Thanks kindly SwampeR.

There is a great recent thread here you should look up. Really, what you are asking has been asked many times.

The consensus small coil is the 6X8 SEF it seems and if trash is really heavy then guys are going with the 5" or there abouts. I think the E-Trac and it's coils are pretty much like other detectors I have run. No magic but some great coils used in typical fashion - super trashy a 5" or there abouts, little bit less then the 6X8 SEF or sharpshooter, Normal everyday use - the stock is GREAT.

Good luck,
Albert

Swampy, I second the recommendations of the SEF 6x8.

Would you do us a favour?

Can you give us a reading of the Auto 'sens' level, (Right hand side level), with your manual sense as a reference point at 20 (Left hand side level) , of an area that is typical of the description you've supplied?

Simply pump the search-head up and down several or more times, (relatively slowly) until you're sure it is truly representative. (It doesn't respond instantly).

Normal is about 16 in my locality.

To read the 'right-hand-side' auto-gauge level, manually adjust the left hand one to match, and thereby quote this equivalent reading......Matt.

I use the 6 x 8 SEF coil and TTF program in iron laden spots.....just netted me a pretty good prize too. :super:

I like the 6x8 for most sites but in real trashy sites I put the X5 on and work between all the trash.

A 5 inch Excellerator best in super duper trashy areas. A 6 inch Excellerator same thing just a bit bigger, A sunray X-8 which is my overall favorite (was used most of the time on my old Explorer) and the stock Pro coil. You're welcome to come out here and see what you like/dislike before you buy.

Jeff

If you are new to Etrac you will never see the difference what is good what is bad, you just dont need any other new coil except you already have, its perfect coil to get maximum. Learn Etrac in the field.

I've found a few dozen 1800's coins in what is what you could call an underground junk yard of iron with my 6" Excellerator Coil - I love it !
Many of the old coins I found at these locations have had (an actual count ) of 10 to 15 rusty nails and other pieces of junk metal in each hole.
I've also hit plenty of dimes at 8" + with this little coil - the reason I went with the 6" Excellerator coil instead of the 6" X 8" is because of the closed - no spoke design.
You can hunt over brush stubble ( something I do all the time ) and really get in tight spots without it hanging up - this is a major plus if you hunt in the woods and in mowed fields !

I've never used one myself - but I've read countless rave reviews on the 6" x 8 coil - I'm sure it's a fantastic.

Here's a link to Bryce Brown's ( Moderator of the Findmall Minelab Explorer forum) on field tests of different coils he's used.
This page has already had over 14,000 views - lots of great info. here !

http://www.findmall.com/read.php?19,1055627

HH --- Mark

I would get..... Oh nevermind. Free speech is not allowed here and I don't want to get banned. For some reason I like it here too much:shrug:

6X8 SEF. It still gets some depth while getting around junk. I want an x-5 too.

Is it iron slag or iron ore.

I'm a Sunray X-5 fan. I like the closed design as I seem to find my fair share of stubble and high trash together. It separates incredibly well and it's very light. How well can it work? I pulled a Merc at 7' that was 1" under a flat laying AA battery and had a small bent nail next to it. The numbers were off because of the mix but there was that special sound on the edges of the slow swing and we brought it up.

I went through a spot with the 6X8 SEF today that I had been through at least 4 or 5 times with the stock coil and just kept pulling coins with the 6X8 SEF today. It was like hunting a new spot and those targets were pretty hard, at least some of them. Amazing in iron.