Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

New Coil

Acornhead

Hey everyone. Just wanted to get suggestions on a coil. I only have the stock right now. If people had to choose only one other than the stock, what would you go with? Realize it's a bit of personal choice and what I want to find, sniper vs larger coil for depth. Will eventually get more than one more, but can only afford one now. Des in Buffalo. Oh yeah, a bit of snow here!!

I here allot of good reports on the Detech Ultimate 13...What people are saying is it hit's harder on deeper coins or coins on edge than
the 11" pro coil...I'm sure someone will chime in and confirm what i said or correct me...I've been looking for another coil myself and
will either go with the ultimate 13 or the Coiltek WOT...Decisions....Decisions :shrug:

I've owned the SEF in 6 x 8 and 10 x 12. The 10 x 12 can really get heavy after a couple hours. I still have my stock 11" coil in the box. The last coil i purchased was a 13" ultimate.
All i carry in my bag is the Detech 6 x 8 and the Ultimate 13". All coils have their specialty. The stock coil is a great all around coil, but the Ultimate is definately deeper.
the 6 x 8 works great in tight spots, the 10 x 12 is close to the standard coil maybe a little deeper but pinpoints a little better than the stock coil. I owned a sunray x5 but newer used it.

just my opinion i guess

I have logged hundreds of hours on the ultimate 13 and the sunray X-8 and they are my preference depending on what type of site you are working.
I believe I get a slight depth increase over the stock coil with the ultimate 13 and the weight of the coil is still light enough to maintain a controlled swing.
The X-8 is excellent for junkier sites like fairgrounds and some parks. Its depth capability will surprise you.
With that being said it I think the stock coil is excellent also.

I believe I get a slight depth increase over the stock coil with the ultimate 13

floodplaindetector
What is the advantage of the Ultimate 13 over the Standard pro coil?

Coiltek 10x5 is my go to coil

duggr said:
I believe I get a slight depth increase over the stock coil with the ultimate 13

floodplaindetector
What is the advantage of the Ultimate 13 over the Standard pro coil?

Obviously you get a little more coverage so it is good for large wide open sites. I have noticed more deep nickels as they bang a little harder and silver hits a little harder than
the stock coil. I also noticed the coins on edge sometimes get noticed better on this coil.
I recently worked a site with the stock until all my signals were exhausted for the last 3 hours and I didn't get another hit. I switched to the ultimate 13 and was able to pull 4 very deep mercs and
a super deep 1914 wheat penny within the next hour. They were just whispers but I noticed them enough to make me want to dig them. I was a little surprised I picked up more.

Acornhead said:
Hey everyone. Just wanted to get suggestions on a coil. I only have the stock right now. If people had to choose only one other than the stock, what would you go with? Realize it's a bit of personal choice and what I want to find, sniper vs larger coil for depth. Will eventually get more than one more, but can only afford one now. Des in Buffalo. Oh yeah, a bit of snow here!!

The ultimate's a slight step up from stock but not much . the 6 x 8 was a winner for me until it crapped out 5 months after the one year warranty expired even though I use the stock and the WOT more than it. Because of that meager warranty and it's poor durablity in my instance i opted to get what is rapidly becoming my new goto coil---the NEL Sharpshooter,,,,just as deep , very crisp , very light , very fast with a bit more coverage than the 6 x 8 and with a 2 year warranty for 40 bucks less. :super:

If I was in your shoes I'd opt for a small coil to give you all around versitility...???? you would'nt gain all that much with the Ultimate over the stock pro (although I definately prefer the Ultimate over the pro myself). I have the 6" Eq2 and LOVE it for trashy areas but it's hard to cover ground if time is limited. I just bought the 6x8 sef and haven't used it yet. I bought it thinking the extra 2" would help me a little bit to cover more ground more thorough than the 6", but after measuring it I see it's actually only 1" bigger than my 6" so I didn't gain as much coverage as I thought I would? We'll give it a shot next spring and see how it does. Once again....I think you'd get more bang for buck going with a small coil to add with your Pro and end up with a pretty versitile setup.....jmo

The 4.5x7 Excelerator is on my machine 99% of the time. Reduces the weight factor of the Etrac somewhat and seems to me to be almost as deep as the stock coil! Love it!!!

I'm mainly a small coil user - hunt a lot of heavy iron sites - never used a 13" Ultmate coil - but I know a lot of people really like them !

The 6" EQ2 coil is nothing short of fantastic - used mine for approx. 1500 hrs. - till it shorted out.
Use a 4.5" x 7 " and a 8" Sunray Stealth X-8 now.
For me - the X-8 is the perfect mid sized coil - good in junkie areas - hits deep - a good a amount of ground coverage and it's very light weight - a winner all the way around !
As far as the 4.5" x 7" coil goes - I don't think it hits quite as deep as the 6" EQ2 - but it has to be the best coil ever made for getting in to the tight spots !

Good luck !

E-TRAC-OHIO said:
I'm mainly a small coil user - hunt a lot of heavy iron sites - never used a 13" Ultmate coil - but I know a lot of people really like them !

The 6" EQ2 coil is nothing short of fantastic - used mine for approx. 1500 hrs. - till it shorted out.
Use a 4.5" x 7 " and a 8" Sunray Stealth X-8 now.
For me - the X-8 is the perfect mid sized coil - good in junkie areas - hits deep - a good a amount of ground coverage and it's very light weight - a winner all the way around !
As far as the 4.5" x 7" coil goes - I don't think it hits quite as deep as the 6" EQ2 - but it has to be the best coil ever made for getting in to the tight spots !

Good luck !
If you like the Sun Ray Stealth X8 ( and I do as well) the X5 Sun Ray small coil is nothing short of fantastic !

Location, location, location. Since i primarily hunt trashy farm sites and fields the SEF 6X8 is the coil that gets used most. The stock coil goes back on if the trash gets thin...seldom in my case. Also have a Sun Ray X5 for the worst cases.

I'm no expert and haven't tried a bunch of coils but I put on the NEL Tornado12"x13" in March and haven't touched the stock coil since. Right away I noticed an improvement in sensitivity and as you would expect with a larger coil gained couple inches in depth. I also picked up a FBS 800 coil for trashy sites but if was to pick one coil it would be the NEL Tornado. The Tornado is noticeably heavier but my arm adjusted because my brain wont let me take it off.