Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

new detectors for kids?

mncricket

Anyone know anything about the teknetics digitek or the minelab gofind? Need a detector for kids....had a tesoro, but she decided she wanted a display to look at.....

DON"T GET A GO FIND! I would pick the digitek any day. The go finds only have four target id/discrimination segments which would make it almost impossible to hunt in a trashy park or similar area. They also don't have interchangeable search coils which limits their versatility. The digitek has 9 disc segments plus a 0-99 vdi number system and can change coils. I personally would pick an ace 250, but then again, I am biased since I have only used garretts;)

I keep seeing a few random posts about why people shouldn't get a go-find but i think those same people are really missing the key areas of the machine...most people getting an Ace 250, Digitek or the Go-Find are not getting a serious detector they plan on swapping coils or hitting all kinds of different grounds every day. Obviously if you are looking for a detector for that type of detecting, anyone would tell you to stay away from the low end detectors and just spend the $500+ on a versatile "professional" detector. The Go-find has barley even seen the light of day so far beyond a handful of You Tube videos, i would make your argument 6 months from now when people get a chance to really use it. The thing with the Go-Find that makes it so appealing is the fact that anyone can collapse it and throw it under their drivers seat in a matter of seconds. Add on top of that automatic ground tracking, back-lit display, 4 discrimination modes, pin pointing, depth reading, water proof coil, multi tone and 4 step sensitivity. All this for $300 is not too shabby. The big thing here though is the blue-tooth functionality. The ability to pair this up with any smart phone to document and share finds, as well as play music makes it really stand out. Among a lot of new detectorists this feature will be really cool and make it a lot more fun to use.

I own a Safari, Ace 250, and a bounty hunter and i still plan on getting this little compact detector for those spur of the moment random spots i drive by or on the beach in cape cod. For $300..you really can't go wrong with all these features....

The auto tracking would be the only (useful) feature the go find has that the digitek or ace doesn't. I myself would be very skeptical of it since many manufacturers have advertised automatic ground balance when it's really a preset.I really don't like how aluminum is lumped together with nickels and zincs on the display. The digitek and ace don't do that and you get vdi numbers on the digitek. Both have pinpointing, depth reading, interchangeable waterproof coils, multi trone, and 8 step sensitivity on the ace, and ten step on the digitek. As Far as disc modes, find out how many combinations of twelve segments are possible for the ace, and nine segments on the digitek. Plus they can have notch disc, which the go find doesn't have. All this for $200 means a better value than the go find.

Exactly my question.....I have multiple "professional" level detectors....this is for my tiny 7 year old. Got the ace250.....too heavy for her. Went much lighter and got a tesoro silver umax....she got bored....no screen to try to interpret. Had a quicksilver but it didn't work very well. Looking for a decent machine for her to start with that she won't grow out of like a toy. Right now I am mostly considering the bounty hunter quickdraw pro, the digitek (which I think is really the same thing, just smaller), and the go find because she likes the pictures on the screen (and she can put it under her bunk in the camper totake it along......thanks for the input!

I hate to tell you, and this coming from a guy that owns the Ace 250, those segments on the ace are more visual than anything. any of those steps tends to be any of the other notches next to it. The machine is very noisy also and the multi tone is horrible compared to minelabs "singing". Also, remember this is a VLF machine...not a Beat Frequency like the ace 250. This is the first VLF detector in this price range making it a huge bonus as well (that i can't believe i didn't even include in my last post). Higher frequency = smaller targets are more accurate. Have you ever noticed on an Ace 250 if you are even the same 2 foot area of a coin the thing is binging and bonging like sound of the door in a very busy 7/11 store? Even the pinpoint is not the most accurate on it being a Beat Frequency machine. The ace will most likely give you more depth, but that's about it.

The auto ground tracking is also the real deal. Minelab has mastered this technology better than most, this is what usually sets a lot of their machines apart as well.

Like mnricket said too...this is for his 7 year old. I agree with him my Ace 250 is very heavy (clunky) compared to this lightweight fully adjustable machine. Also like i said prior, if she is 7...then the blue-tooth feature would totally make the Go-Find the winner. Do you now how the Go-Find even got Blue-tooth while being developed? The engineer told his young daughter she would love the new metal detector he is designing because it's so compact and light weight. She responded to him "dad, the only way you are getting me to go detecting with you is when the thing works with my cell phone", after that the blue-tooth was added. True story you can hear him talk about it in the Go-Find unveiling video on You Tube that is about an hour long.

You watch...this machine being a VLF with it's ease of use, features, size, portability and cost..is going to be the new Ace 250 killer.

BOTH the ace and digitek are vlf machines. And anyway he said the ace is to heavy.

Call Garrett and see what they say. The ace is a 6.59 kHz operating frequency vlf detector. BFO's haven't been made since the 1980's by any major manufacturer. BFO's use mono coils, the vlf ace uses dd and concentric coils that are required for induction balance(vlf) detectors to work. On the other hand, the go finds use mono coils which cannot be used on a vlf detector. This leaves three choices, one it's a BFO detector, two its a pi detector, three Minelab came up with something new

Everyone here (minus 1) knows that the ACE 250 is VLF, not BFO. Strider, why on earth do you post such stuff?

The Digitek and the QDP appear to be the same. The D has a 7" coil and shorter lower rod that should make it even lighter than the QDP's 2.3 lbs with battery. The Tek has the youth appeal of some psychedelic colors.

If the Ace seems heavy at 2.7 lbs, the QDP isn't going to be that much lighter.

In 4 days the F11 or F22 might be an option as well. 2.3 lbs.

Good luck with the Digitek. I think that or the Go Find would be fun for her to use! Not sure why there is so much vitriol being tossed at the new little Minelabs. They have their place as a decent, low priced machine. I have one on the way now, and I see it as the perfect scout detector for when I backpack into areas for reasons other than metal detecting, but may want to have something small packed away if I come across an interesting area. It is never going to replace my front line units, but I think it is great to have for scouting trips and as an easy to use machine for introducing guests to our great hobby.

Digitek arrived today...,she still prefers the pinpointer lol! Hard for her to get a full even swing she is so tiny....hopefully she will grow into it! I am thinking s Gofind just to keep in my car for my lunch break and stuff or to take camping when space is a premium....let me know what you think of it....was looking at the 40 unless I can get a great price on a 60.

striderida1 said:
No..you are wrong...Ace 250 is a Beat Frequency Oscilator detector....the Teknetics is a VLF....

What???? Bfos haven't been made in decades. Geesh.