Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

New Fisher in the Works?

John LA said:
Someone on another Forum said Fisher is working on a new detector. Anyone hear this rumor?

Fisher always has new detectors under development. And we've never been reluctant to say so. Been that way for at least 35 years that I know about.

--Dave J.

I would like to see Fisher develop and release a new multi-frequency machine to knock Minlab off the top run of the ladder. Faster recovery than the Etrac and CTX and as light as the LTD.

I like all those things you said, Mark. Unfortunately, I have already filed my request for a new CZ style detector. Maybe after they get my new one done, they can work on yours. I guess a blending of the two lines would give us both what we wanted. :clap: Keep 'em busy Dave, the Fisher nation is saving their money for your new offering.

Don
HH

Well Fisher the handwriting is on the wall. ball has been bounced in your court.

Blending of the two lines sounds good to me also...build it and they will buy......

I think it will be called a Euro, Ron B.

markg said:
I would like to see Fisher develop and release a new multi-frequency machine to knock Minlab off the top run of the ladder. Faster recovery than the Etrac and CTX and as light as the LTD.

I'm curious why you guys think multi-frequency machines are better than single frequency machines? The only place I have seen where they have any advantage is in heavily mineralized soils. While they all seem to be slower at recovery times just because it takes longer to process multiple frequencies than it does to process just 1. Plus they all seem to be battery hogs compared to top of the line single frequency machines. I've got over 1000 hours in on Minelab Explorers and Whites DFX and VX3 am I missing something?

Also salt water , Hi and low conductors.
Some say single freq is better in iron.
As for battery life and process speed , i think Fisher is ahead of the curve.

I have and use the Etrac and the ID numbers are more stable with a multi-frequency machine in my area.

Most of us are getting older..and a big..and I mean "BIG" Colored screen would be the cats meow !!!!!.......

I would love that feature added to what ever Fisher is building in the future... I have confidence that what they build will be deep.

IF it does not have a large screen..then have available as an upgrade the Big Colored Screen..

Thanks Dave J .If your reading and considering any of these ideas...... were all waiting Sir...

Dave J. said:
John LA said:
Someone on another Forum said Fisher is working on a new detector. Anyone hear this rumor?

Fisher always has new detectors under development. And we've never been reluctant to say so. Been that way for at least 35 years that I know about.

--Dave J.

We are all excited Dave!

I like the TDI. I think adding some more computing power could take it to totally new dimensions. Just do it Fisher style and call it the F9-DPS (Discriminating Pulse Scan).

Add a processor to automatically sample at various pulse delays and display based upon where the target vanishes or starts to diminish. Do some visualization, kind of like the spectragrah, on the pulse delay target response. It could be as simple a line with a dip at the vanishing point.

Add a pulse delay range switch so that I could have a 8 to 12 ms pulse delay sampling range or switch to a 12 to 25 ms pulse delay sampling range.

Add the ability to switch back and forth from a pulse time domain instrument to a VLF instrument. With the dual field coils, the wire is already there, so you could use it.

Keep the dual ground balance as found on the TDI pro but call the Fine control "Iron Reject". Give a visualization of the balance point.

Give a visualizatio of the stability. Tuning threshold, ground balance and pulse delay can be somewhat difficult to get just right. But a display with the three components as fuzzy lines that come together in a single 'defined' line would make a good visual telling you when you got it just perfect.

Some thoughts.

Some may naysay the displays, but the displays make things fun. Functional and Fun make the hobby great.

HH
Mike

Yes, I'm in.
When do we get it?
I need a PI machine for my bad lands.
:thumbup:

Mike Hillis said:
I like the TDI. I think adding some more computing power could take it to totally new dimensions. Just do it Fisher style and call it the F9-DPS (Discriminating Pulse Scan). [etc, etc.]
HH
Mike

Thanks, Mike. What you describe would be a very good machine in some people's hands. However since the whole way of thinking about it takes conventional pulse induction as a "given", the most logical company to develop a thing like that would be White's, not us. After all, they already have the TDI and they're good at "adding some more computing power".

Heck, I've never even prototyped (!) a conventional pulse induction machine. The Fisher Impulse was non-conventional, but it ain't comin' back.

--Dave J.

Dave J. said:
Mike Hillis said:
I like the TDI. I think adding some more computing power could take it to totally new dimensions. Just do it Fisher style and call it the F9-DPS (Discriminating Pulse Scan). [etc, etc.]
HH
Mike

Thanks, Mike. What you describe would be a very good machine in some people's hands. However since the whole way of thinking about it takes conventional pulse induction as a "given", the most logical company to develop a thing like that would be White's, not us. After all, they already have the TDI and they're good at "adding some more computing power".

Heck, I've never even prototyped (!) a conventional pulse induction machine. The Fisher Impulse was non-conventional, but it ain't comin' back.

--Dave J.

You just have to Respect an HONEST MAN !! .... :thumbup: Your the best Dave J.

Oh hell, just saw the fins off the 11"dd and water proof that F70 to 15' and lets call it a day!
Mud

In an interview with Dave J and John Gardiner that was posted on the Fisher and Tek websites 2 and half or 3 years ago now, Dave mentioned that they had in mind some new processes that although they would seem like they were an extension of the T2 type processes, would be based on different principles and would surpass anything available with current technology, or something to that effect. I have been drooling over getting my hands on such a machine ever since. The T2/F75 are already among the best machines on the market and can stand shoulder to shoulder with machines costing twice as much. Extending that platform so it surpasses the top of the line from other manufacturers seems like it would be just fine with me.

I know and appreciate the focus of the design team at FT to keep the user interface simple and easy to understand and work with, but I also think that there is some room for improvement in the way metal detectors present the data they collect to the operator. We have been using meters and VDI numbers as a way to sum up the results of the signal analysis of the target signal for decades now. It you look at the innovations that others have been making in this area, it seems like the most useful thing is that there are now ways to see how the target signal changes over time on the display. Specifically I am talking about the spetragraph displays on the Whites 3 frequency machines and the analysis screen on the V3i, plus the way Minelab shows how signal changes over time on the CTX. Both of these display systems show how target strength and target ID change over time as they accumulate the results of multiple swings over the target. These can be very useful when circling a target to get a better look at it from different angles and also when you have two targets in close proximity. I am sure Dave, John and Jorge have probably given this much thought already so I am not going to presume I can suggest something better after giving it a short amount of thought, but that spectragraph display does seem very useful on my White's VX3.

The final thing I would say isn't so much about detector features and design but more in conveying information to the operator about what effect different processes have on the machine's operation. This could just be an expanded section in the user manuals. Specifically what I mean is that now the process are discussed more in general terms of what to use the processes for instead of in terms of what they actually do. I know there is a valid concern on FT's part on protecting propriatary information about their designs, but sharing more info like in such a such a mode, we increase the recovery time and run some additional ground filtering and target analysis and boost the pre-amp gain so you should get better target ID at depth, better results in more mineralized soils but you will loose some recovery time so you should swing a bit slower. Knowing that kind of stuff in more details would make it easier to make better informed decisions about when to use different processes. I know that FT has posted some of Dave's white papers on processes but just having that infomation in more specific detail and in the manual would be better than what is posted on the web sites now.

Plus of course keep the great ergonomics !