Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

New light E-Trac on the Horizon?

earthmansurfer

Seems like Minelab has a semi 4 year release date schedule. The CTX will have been out 4 years in May of 2016.
I loved the E-Trac but my back couldn't handle it nor the CTX. I've seen quite a few say the same. E-Trac has been my favorite machine all said and done. Patiently waiting for a light one to come out.
I believe Fisher has been working on a new CZ for years now, and AKA is about to release a dual frequency machine as well. I'd take a light and up to date E-Trac over anything though.

So, are we getting close to what many have been asking for - a light Explorer/E-Trac/CTX machine?
They do have something to work from with the portable Go-Find, but they need to put some real brains in it and add to the platform, of course.

Best,
EMS

I love my eTrac and can swing it all day,,, but had to get the right harness for it... I bought a Detecting Buddy... very simple,,, hook your belt through it and up over your shoulder... now all I have to do it guide it with by arm... no weight...All of the weight is on my belt... :)

masterjedi said:
I love my eTrac and can swing it all day,,, but had to get the right harness for it... I bought a Detecting Buddy... very simple,,, hook your belt through it and up over your shoulder... now all I have to do it guide it with by arm... no weight...All of the weight is on my belt... :)
I use the Minelab Pro Swing 45 and now and never have any weight issues or sore arms . Very Happy now !

I have a detecting harness and it sure does pretty much fix the weight issue for my back. But it also feels like I am wearing a contraption. I do a lot of filming - quite a few E-Trac videos Youtube Channell 4 Earthmansurfer69 - and it really gets in the way.
After having used quite a few lite and ergonomic machines, I would expect nothing less from the company with probably more money than the others combined.

Anyway, I wasn't looking for a solution to the weight problem but thanks for the suggestion. Really, has helped many people. I am saying we are due, both in time (4 years) and "reward" :detecting:
Really, they have followed that 4 year window a lot, so I am really expecting a machine sometime next year.

Your 4 year window may be correct but the Go Find's introduction will be the beginning of the next period so don't hold your breath.
Making a "lightweight etrac" would require admitting there is something unacceptable with the existing model , and while there are detectors that are easier to swing , there are many more detectorists capable of swinging one than there are detectorists who are not up to it.
How could any company justify the expense of R&D to cater to such a micro niche of their industry?

sprchng said:
Your 4 year window may be correct but the Go Find's introduction will be the beginning of the next period so don't hold your breath.
Making a "lightweight etrac" would require admitting there is something unacceptable with the existing model , and while there are detectors that are easier to swing , there are many more detectorists capable of swinging one than there are detectorists who are not up to it.
How could any company justify the expense of R&D to cater to such a micro niche of their industry?

Well, I'm not holding my breath, I've already sold my E-Trac and CTX and switched to a lighter machine. But I admit, the E-Trac/CTX was a blast to use. I even get better performance from my new machine at half the cost but it is not as fun to hunt with (e.g. 2D screen, sounds!)
I can use the E-Trac, but for long hunts it is too much, and I seem to like longer hunts. If I just did 3 hour hunts, it would be fine. But all day hunts, ouch.

I think a new machine is just that. It is a natural progression. No need to read into things with admissions of guilt, etc. More about progress and just releasing new machines.

Not meaning to make this into an argument. Was just saying, that 4 year window is coming and they probably are going to release a new machine. The timing of an extreme bottom line of Go Finds is telling imo.
The CTX just isn't selling well and the E-Trac is getting up there, just business sense to keep up with all these new light machines coming out from other manufacturers.

Best to you,
EMS

sprchng said:

Whether people are capable of swinging a heavy machine or not , it isn't necessary in this day and age to make such a heavy machine .
Look at the Deus , a machine that is so light you could swing all day and not even notice it , it is as good as most Minelab's a probably better than all non PI Minelab's on some sites .
In the European theatre of detecting it is almost endemic on digs and even though the amount of CTX is higher than a year ago it cant be doing any good to all those people that are using one .
Wonder if those people could sue for damages :) , they could if they were working for them !
Minelab have a fixation for heavy machines , except for the plastic Go Find . The Terra is fine but the bigger coils unbalance it a bit.

As for a new Light ET , it wont be light , it will most likely be a CTX without the GPS and connected stuff , maybe without as much water proofing , without cordless headphones ?
That would drop the price but will they leave the FBS 2 alone or water that down ? if so i will stay with my ET and Explorer 11 and Deus .

The Etrac is nothin' compared to the Nautilus IIBa on a S-Rod! I swing that for a few hours and then pick up My Etrac or CZ-3D and it seems lite as a feather! Lucky I was able to pick up some rare brackets to do a Whites rod conversion this Winter as I will swing as is with 8'' coil for rest of the year.

I just mentioned this is another thread. An "E-trac II" would be a hot seller for most people. They wouldn't really have to change a thing except the weight and weight distribution. I'm considering upgrading to a CTX (if I can sell my etrac) just because my arm gets tired with the E-trac and the CTX is so much better balanced. There is no other reason, seriously. I've been completely content with the beast that is the Minelab e-trac considering everything, except where the weight is concerned. Hopefully they Minelab "rewards" us with one soon. I'd totally buy one.

Eyeage said:
I just mentioned this is another thread. An "E-trac II" would be a hot seller for most people. They wouldn't really have to change a thing except the weight and weight distribution. I'm considering upgrading to a CTX (if I can sell my etrac) just because my arm gets tired with the E-trac and the CTX is so much better balanced. There is no other reason, seriously. I've been completely content with the beast that is the Minelab e-trac considering everything, except where the weight is concerned. Hopefully they Minelab "rewards" us with one soon. I'd totally buy one.

I think an ET 2 would sell more than they could make but they need to get it right .

As for buying a CTX , i wouldn't . Been there and wont repeat .
It may be balanced differently but i dont think its better , its balance is to far back to the back of the machine which forces you to wear an arm strap .
The Menu did my head in as well . Seen You Tube video's where someone said as much . Both machines are about evenly matched with advantages on both sides, in the end why pay around £2k for the CTX with limited coils and expensive parts when the ET is around £1k with many after market coils and the RNB battery that lasts nearly 40 hours and parts are cheaper ?
Its a pity Minelab dont just make a new machine to replace the CTX and ET but they have a bad reputation for hiking the price too high.

Until they come out with a machine that has the capability of the ET / CTX but more like the weight of the Deus they are unlikely to catch up with XP on sales, especially in the European market.

I dont know what the sales of the CTX are like in the U.S. but i wonder if they are as high as the ET was when that was released ?

Still i like the ET and Explorer and will put up with my Tennis elbow till the new machine comes.

I have a lot of back problems and am able to use the E-TRAC longer than any other detector. I find that if I tweak the length of the shaft just a little whenever it begins to bother me it helps a LOT... and with the lever locks it is SO easy.. try it. I think you'll find it makes a huge difference. My F75 and T2 hurt me more than the E-TRAC (if I adjust the length).
HTH.
J

So, was I close? (Equinox) :detecting:

earthmansurfer said:
I have a detecting harness and it sure does pretty much fix the weight issue for my back. But it also feels like I am wearing a contraption. I do a lot of filming - quite a few E-Trac videos Youtube Channell 4 Earthmansurfer69 - and it really gets in the way.
After having used quite a few lite and ergonomic machines, I would expect nothing less from the company with probably more money than the others combined.

Anyway, I wasn't looking for a solution to the weight problem but thanks for the suggestion. Really, has helped many people. I am saying we are due, both in time (4 years) and "reward" :detecting:
Really, they have followed that 4 year window a lot, so I am really expecting a machine sometime next year.

Hello Earthmansurfer, I would just like to take this opportunity to say that your videos with the E-trac are among the very best, I recommend them to anyone who asks for help with the machine.

GazinUK said:
earthmansurfer said:

Hello Earthmansurfer, I would just like to take this opportunity to say that your videos with the E-trac are among the very best, I recommend them to anyone who asks for help with the machine.

Thanks GazinUK, very nice of you to say. Been a while since I made videos or detected. (3 years) E-Trac and CTX hurt my already hurt back, so I took a break. Used other non Minelab detectors but the fun wasn't quite there. (And I love the FBS sounds)
So, I'm stoked to see that there is a new and LIGHT Minelab coming. No 2D screen, but that is ok, perhaps it won't be needed.

I do hope they bring out an emulated E-Trac on the Equinox, would be nice...

Anyway, I hope to make some videos next year, just like my investigative mind likes to. lol
Best to you,
EMS

earthmansurfer said:

ems,

Funny to look back on these old posts and see where things went compared to where we thought they'd go. As I get older, I appreciate light weight, cordless and well designed more.

rich -

Rich (Utah) said:
earthmansurfer said:

ems,

Funny to look back on these old posts and see where things went compared to where we thought they'd go. As I get older, I appreciate light weight, cordless and well designed more.

rich -

Got what we asked for eh? Just wish we had the 2D screen. :detecting:

earthmansurfer said:
sprchng said:

Well, I'm not holding my breath, I've already sold my E-Trac and CTX and switched to a lighter machine. But I admit, the E-Trac/CTX was a blast to use. I even get better performance from my new machine at half the cost but it is not as fun to hunt with (e.g. 2D screen, sounds!)
I can use the E-Trac, but for long hunts it is too much, and I seem to like longer hunts. If I just did 3 hour hunts, it would be fine. But all day hunts, ouch.

I think a new machine is just that. It is a natural progression. No need to read into things with admissions of guilt, etc. More about progress and just releasing new machines.

Not meaning to make this into an argument. Was just saying, that 4 year window is coming and they probably are going to release a new machine. The timing of an extreme bottom line of Go Finds is telling imo.
The CTX just isn't selling well and the E-Trac is getting up there, just business sense to keep up with all these new light machines coming out from other manufacturers.

Best to you,
EMS

I did the same, sold the e-trac and bought an ORX and I'm not sorry. Why would one need a prosthetic attached to their body to enjoy a hobby??? Give me a break. Minelab has known for years that people aren't pleased with the weight issue but don't seem to be in much of a hurry to correct it.

Xdigger said:
earthmansurfer said:
sprchng said:

Best to you,
EMS

I did the same, sold the e-trac and bought an ORX and I'm not sorry. Why would one need a prosthetic attached to their body to enjoy a hobby??? Give me a break. Minelab has known for years that people aren't pleased with the weight issue but don't seem to be in much of a hurry to correct it.

LOL re prosthetic - I wholeheartedly agree. I did try one way back when but I just didn't like the feeling. CTX was perfectly balanced but got to my elbow from the weight. I miss the E-Trac tones and the nostalgia it contains. I do miss that 2D screen, something about it, like another "puzzle-like" layer of information. More information in 2D than 1D. Flatland? lol

I wonder if it is even possible to implement a 2D screen on IQ tech? Anyone?