Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

New spot...6 Large Cents today and some silver too.

doninbrewster

Got permission to detect a farm today that's been in the same family since the 1790's. Found one small area that was hot with large cents and pulled 6. 1817, 1822, 1827, 1831, one matron head with no date and one classic head with no date. Also found a little silver. I hunted about an acre or so around the house. 120+ acres to go

Fantastic finds!! The large pennies in the crop field will be pretty much pitted from the fertilizer, but silver holds up well. We want to see more good finds.

God only knows how long it has been since I found a large cent. You come along and find A hand full with the silver.. You lucky dog... Makes you feel good with finds like that. Hope it is not over for you... KEN

Ken, between 1980 and 2012 I found a total of 6 large cents. Last year I found 10 along with 5 colonials and a number of other toasted coppers. This year I'm starting off with 6 LC's. I just changed my strategy a bit and started asking permission to detect private property. I did get lucky last year when I noticed an old parking lot being torn up and came away with 2 nice LC's and a 1782 2 Real, but the real difference is finding older properties and asking permission. I have yet to be turned down.

Excellent finds!:clapping: Congrats!

Like Ken it's been years since I found a LC. But in my case it's been my one and only LC. Plus I had to travel more than a few miles north, next to the Canadian border to score one.:canadaflag:

That same day my very first target was a very nice antique gold ring! Well worth the trip!:detecting:

Very sweet. Really need to get out but too much winter here. Thanks for the post. What VDI did the LC's register on the 70?

Great hunt don, a few times I found 3 largies in one hunt but 6 is awesome.i usually do best in the button patch.where ever the old lady spent her time beating the tar out of the old mans pants.hoping to get out today but its not looking too likely..congrats on the great finds.

IBdiggin said:
Very sweet. Really need to get out but too much winter here. Thanks for the post. What VDI did the LC's register on the 70?

Oops my bad!:blush: The coin I remembered as a Large Cent is actually a Canadian 1862 half penny. I dug it over 35 years ago and I hadn

Wow ... congrats on a KILLER hunt Don ! :clapping:

That's a great hunt for sure! I got 3 large coppers on one hunt last week, I wasn't expecting it and I was in shock because of the location, but I ended up with 6 large coppers in the past 4 hunts, best of them are a 1773 Virginia copper,1787 Connecticut and 1807/6 overstamp draped bust, just haven't had time to post yet, gl&hh

Way to go pghmole. You have a picture of the Connecticut? I also found a 1806/6 LC a few years ago. Does pgh stand for Poughkeepsie or Pittsburgh?

Way to go Don! Gosh that sounds like a lot of ground to cover alone...
:poke:

doninbrewster said:
Way to go pghmole. You have a picture of the Connecticut? I also found a 1806/6 LC a few years ago. Does pgh stand for Poughkeepsie or Pittsburgh?
thanks! Im from pittsburgh Im going to pull them all from the oil in a couple days and clean them and take better pics with another camera,that's awesome you scored a draped bust also! Mole

Good news. The Connecticut you scored is a 1787 CONNECT variety. It is known as Miller obverse 15. There are 3 different reverse dies paired with the obverse, F, R and S. F is common. S is scarce and reverse R with this obverse is quite rare. Can't wait to see a picture of the reverse. The S reverse has a large die break in the 3-4 o'clock area on the reverse and it's known as the Fatal Break variety. The R reverse is an overdate with the last 7 over an 8. S reverse probably has about 30 known and the R probably less than a dozen. The picture is from the 15-S in my own collection (earlier from the Dr Hall collection who wrote the original reference on CT's in 1892)

[size=medium]Wow... I'm new here and have only been detecting for a few months. My goal for 2014 is to find a large cent, and look you have 6 in one day... if it were only that easy!
Congratulations and HH in 2014, you are certainly off to a great start.
[/size]

Thanks Don! I had no clue about the variations of the coin! if this picture isn't clear enough I will take another, thanks so much for the information I greatly appreciate it and looking forward to seeing what I have here!

What you have is a 1787 M.15-F. It's the most common of the CONNECT varieties, but desirable because it collected as a type coin with that spelling. It's a very nice find for a CT and there is quite a bit of detail. Glad you could get me a picture. If it had be the 15-R it may have been worth a few thousand. Most people don't realize that there are about 350 different varieties of Connecticut coppers. Little differences can mean huge differences in value. Here's an example. In the Redbook there is a 1787 CT listed and pictured as the Small Head variety. On the reverse it says ETLIB INDE. If the reverse says INDE ETLIB it's worth 10 times the price. There is another pictured as the Muttonhead variety. In the photo is shows the reverse legends as INDE ET LIB. If the legends have ET LIB both to the right of the figures head it's worth 50 to 100 times the Redbook value. If you find one and want to know what it is, please don't hesitate to send me a private note with photos. I'd be glad to help. I was also a contributor to the Redbook for a number of years and have been collecting CT's, VT's, NJ's and Machins Mills pieces for more than a quarter century. Recently a VERY rare one came out of the ground and without seeing it, from the photos I believe it could be a 5 figure coin. BTW pgh, my fathers side of the family comes from Washington, PA.