Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

New to hobby

DonR

Hello,
I am totally new to metal detecting. I retired two years ago so was looking for something to get me out of the house. I got a new detector a Nokta Makro Simplex+ and a Pulsedive hand held. I don't know if this is the right place to ask but I was wanting to know if there is a place or group to go to learn. I tried it out in our yard with my grandson and we found treasure! A old rusty spark plug.
Thanks for any advice.
Don

Welcome to a great hobby. The Peoria Area Treasure Hunters Club is located in Peoria Illinois if you are close to there. We are a friendly group and are always happy to help other detectorists. Youtube videos such as the ones Odanscoils posted are a big help also.

Welcome to a great hobby. The Peoria Area Treasure Hunters Club is located in Peoria Illinois if you are close to there. We are a friendly group and are always happy to help other detectorists. Youtube videos such as the ones Odanscoils posted are a big help also.
I don't know if he's coming back.
Been posting this on many sites. Even FB.

Hi. Thanks for the videos I will be watching them very soon. I am in Washington illinois right across the river from Peoria. Does anyone have the email and phone number of someone at Peoria Area Treasure Hunters? And no I have not been posting all over Facebook or any other site. Zero. This is the only place I have come for help. Thanks for helping someone with no knowledge. DonR

I watched the youtubes offered and they helped. Seems like alot of terminology to learn. Will spend much more time with more YouTube videos. Especially with my model. Will also connect with PATH. If I can find contact info. DonR

Hi. Thanks for the videos I will be watching them very soon. I am in Washington illinois right across the river from Peoria. Does anyone have the email and phone number of someone at Peoria Area Treasure Hunters? And no I have not been posting all over Facebook or any other site. Zero. This is the only place I have come for help. Thanks for helping someone with no knowledge. DonR
Sorry I saw someone posting similar questions.. Nothing wrong with that.
Just usually we rarely see them again.
Do you have the Simplex + or one of the new models ? I know nothing of the new ones.
I went to the Legend. Grandson using the Simplex.
Be patient and Good Luck.

Experience is the best teacher and trust your machine. The audio on most brands tells a big story of what is in the ground, an art you will learn over time. A trashy audio often is trash in the ground. A good target often has a good clean audio and pay attention to your display for clues and you will soon be able to make a good guess what you have under the coil. An example is older coins and goodies are often deeper in the ground. I will often dig a deep target over 7 inches even if a bit trashy sounding but repeatable in all directions. I think the best learning aid is to plant a target garden with different items at different depths. Metal detecting might not be a sport but as in all sports, the more you practice, the better you get. Your first milestone that you are getting there is when you can tell a silver dime from a clad dime. I think you have earned the rank of GOOD for a beginner. When you can hear the difference of an Indian , Wheatie, copper and a zinc cent in the ground, I would say you have earned the rank of VERY Good.

Practice, practice, practice. Give yourself at least a year of hunting to learn the art of metal detecting. Good luck Don.

Hi DonR. You can view our club website on Facebook by going to The Peoria Area Treasure Hunters Metal Detecting Club (PATH). You can also contact me at dsstivers@frontier.com. We have a monthly meeting again on November 29th. You are welcome to attend and see what we are about. You can contact me at the above email for more information. Watch some videos and pay attention to what Larry (IL) says. He is very very good with his metal detectors.

Thanks for the Kudos Darrel, it's amazing what you learn with 40+ years detecting. o_O Speaking of old age, :rofl:Happy 50th wedding anniversary to you and Star.

Thanks for the Kudos Darrel, it's amazing what you learn with 40+ years detecting. o_O Speaking of old age, :rofl:Happy 50th wedding anniversary to you and Star.
Thank you for the anniversary wishes. Old age, what are you talking about? Just because we have been detecting since the mid 70's doesn't make us old does it? It would be hard to find anyone who could outdo you on a DFX or V3i (Steve might give you some tough competition on the v3i), and I think it would be hard to find anyone who could outdo Nancy on the MXT.

Thank you for the anniversary wishes. Old age, what are you talking about? Just because we have been detecting since the mid 70's doesn't make us old does it? It would be hard to find anyone who could outdo you on a DFX or V3i (Steve might give you some tough competition on the v3i), and I think it would be hard to find anyone who could outdo Nancy on the MXT.
Nancy have any MXT post's ?
Love to read them.

This forum is full of them. Nancy and I started this forum back in 2011 when we were officers in the club. Back then P.A.T.H. was a huge club with $10,000 club hunts and so on. . Not only was Nancy president of the club for many years, she was the moderator of the MXT forum when Whites forums were based here on Finds. I see there are 73 pages of posts here.

Hi Don,

Welcome to the wonderful world of metal detecting. Trust your machine.

HH,
Nancy (Larry's better half) :twodetecting: