Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

New to the Hobby

TeenDetector97

Hello. I'm 16, from New York and I am just getting into Metal Detecting! Right now, I do not have the best gear, with a Bounty Hunter VLF, for I wanted to try it out and see how I liked it. I can already say I am hooked! I have been out a few times in the back yard, (5 Acres), and haven't found anything too significant. Nothing but a bunch of trash, 11 cents and a toy pistol. I don't really mind though, it's always a blast

Any tips for a beginner? Anything that's a MUST know? I am completely new to Metal Detecting.

Thanks!

Be safe while detecting.. Always be aware of your surroundings..

Learn your detector..Remember the detector in your hand is far better than any in a Catalogue..........

As you improve down the road there is plenty of time to move up as they say in equipment.. Enjoy what you have and keep us posted on your finds..

PS.Congrats on your finds ....

Do your research and put yourself where the objects you want to find might be located. Coins, jewelry, relics, etc.
Learn to pinpoint so you can make as small of a hole as possible and then cover it up so it looks like you were never there.
After that, have FUN!

You've picked up a very nice hobby!

My advise is, talk to older people about your hobby and ask if they know any interesting locations for detecting. Most will.

Learn your machine and how to recover a target. Make it look as if you were never there if at all possible. A good sharp digging tool will help. Good luck and HH :minelab::fisher::teknetics::detecting:

Thanks guys! I managed to get out on this really chilly day and actually found a few cool things in the Yard! An old horseshoe (5 Inches), Chains (4-5 Inches(, a newer nail, and a much older nail (About 3 inches for both), a misplaced Screwdriver (About an inch) and something unknown. lol

IMG_0545_zps05f777fe.jpg

Those "something unknowns" are what keep the hobby interesting and cool!!!! Every target is a something unknown that might turn into a SOMETHING KNOWN!
Wish I'd starting at your age with the web as a reference book.

Welcome to the hobby and the Treasure Net forum.

You are doing something right already so just keep on :detecting: and you will find some better stuff but digging some trash :pulltab: is just part of the game.

team sidewinder said:
Welcome to the hobby and the Treasure Net forum.

You are doing something right already so just keep on :detecting: and you will find some better stuff but digging some trash :pulltab: is just part of the game.
I have already had about 15 :pulltab: lol. I don't mind one bit though

Hi TeenDetector97, BillF answered your question right square on the head! Research! Your pictured finds are proof in hand now of older potential possible finds along with even hints as to he possibility of discovering who or when they may have been left for future discovery. The door is open to you and Research is the only key that will truly open it or you. This stands true for everywhere you will ever have the opportunity to dig. Other than online History, Genealogy, Land Records, Historical Maps, Topos and Aerials to be found, you can go to your local Library and seek out the same material and anything else you or your Librarian may think of. Also important is any Historic info you can gain from long time locals and relatives . Always keep in mind the coming of earliest of settlers, Military, to the area, their hardships, habits, travel routes, modes of travel, river crossings, camp sites weather patterns, crop seasons etc. Since the land you are digging is yours, you can learn good digging habits as you go and "concentrate" on Research. When you head for other ground you will have already learned the basics of what will bring about a more enjoyable hobby for the rest of your life This will certainly include good habits, manners and consideration for everyone involved. Another thing important to understand is that the real profit in detecting comes from sharing the hobby with a good friend or two or more. Detecting for profit may be cool or some folks but you will find the real jewels swinging a detector only a few feet away from you. HH, Charlie

Welcome to the hobby. I am an old man (almost 73) who bought his first detector at the age of 71. Wish I had started much younger but alas family finances and lack of knowledge about the hobby prevented me from doing so. I always had an interest but back in the dark ages before the internet information about detecting was hard to find.

I spend a lot of time on the internet reading the forums and trying to find information that will make be better at this fascinating hobby. I love being outdoors and detecting get me out frequently. Being totally retired I can go detecting just about any time I want.

When I dig an object other than a modern coin I wonder about the history of the item. How did that item become lost or was it just tossed away as trash. Who may have owned that object. Did they know that they had lost it and searched diligently in an effort to find it. I find objects that I can not identify and wonder just what they were used for and how in the world did they wind up where I found them.

When on the rare occasion I actually find a silver or gold item my heart rate rises just a little as I thoroughly enjoy rescuing the item from the dirt and relocating it to my "Treasure Chest". I was showing my sister my silver coin finds and telling her how and where I found each one and she wondered how I could remember each find. Each of my more valuable finds make a lasting impression.

Enjoy the hobby. Enjoy the research, Enjoy the Great Outdoors. And Last but not least enjoy the friends that you make on the forums and those that you detect with as time goes by. You have discovered a Great Hobby.