Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

New Update, Why No Vids Testing 6" Coil?

5900_XL-1

Maybe I have missed them, but it seems to me that there are not any real testing videos with the new software, using the 6 inch coil. If that is so, why? Also, if the new upgrade isn't designed for the small coil, aren't all of us 6" sniper coil addicts just spinning our wheels by using VER2?

I mostly became a total convert to the 6" coil ever since I got it, but I have to wonder if this brand new software update causes more harm than good, for anything BUT the factory coil.

Why aren't I seeing test videos with the small coil and the new update?

Mainly, "Are us "religious 6" coil users", wasting our real hunt time with V2, by leaving the sniper coil on after updating?"

I don’t have the 6” coil for the 800 but I’ve got one for the CTX. One thing I’ve noticed with tiny coils like that...they are GREAT in some situations but seem to want to make a lot of junk into coins in other situations. I don’t know why this is or what I can do to alleviate this, I like the separation ALOT! Perhaps the 6” on the EQX will be a different story...

It the coil size should not make a difference. The only difference relating to the previous software and the latest is that the new one allows for a wider range of Iron Bias adjustment compared to the previous one (FE versus F2). Also, it adds more screen backlight control for the Equinox 600.

In relation to the 6" coil versus a larger one, I see it as follows: a flashlight that has a narrow light beam (small coil), versus a wider beam (larger coil). The signal strength being sent to the coil remains the same regardless of coil size.

I don't do Vids but I did the upgrade yesterday and hunted with my 6" coil this morning. I picked out some really trashy spots loaded with bottle caps. The machine performed well, a lot less hits on bottle caps. There were many just lying on top of the ground. Seems to help the most on the rusty ones. I got an occasional hit but no big deal. I was pulling good stuff out of all the caps with nice clean hits. I tried the stock coil, and didn't seem to perform quite as well but I'm not a fan of big coils. Now if we could just get a good mid size coil I'd be very happy.

5900_XL-1 said:
Maybe I have missed them, but it seems to me that there are not any real testing videos with the new software, using the 6 inch coil. If that is so, why? Also, if the new upgrade isn't designed for the small coil, aren't all of us 6" sniper coil addicts just spinning our wheels by using VER2?

I mostly became a total convert to the 6" coil ever since I got it, but I have to wonder if this brand new software update causes more harm than good, for anything BUT the factory coil.

Why aren't I seeing test videos with the small coil and the new update?

Mainly, "Are us "religious 6" coil users", wasting our real hunt time with V2, by leaving the sniper coil on after updating?"

Other than relic hunters using the 6” coil in thick iron and nail trash complaining about them, I have not heard of any problems with the 6” coil. I don’t understand why it should be adversely effected by the update or why it wouldn’t have been extensively tested by Minelab before they released the update.

Are you experiencing problems?

Jeff

RichW said:
I don't do Vids but I did the upgrade yesterday and hunted with my 6" coil this morning. I picked out some really trashy spots loaded with bottle caps. The machine performed well, a lot less hits on bottle caps. There were many just lying on top of the ground. Seems to help the most on the rusty ones. I got an occasional hit but no big deal. I was pulling good stuff out of all the caps with nice clean hits. I tried the stock coil, and didn't seem to perform quite as well but I'm not a fan of big coils. Now if we could just get a good mid size coil I'd be very happy.

Yeah, I'd like to see a mid-sized, elliptical shaped DD coil. One just like the NEL Sharpshooter that's on my F75.

I:haven seen any difference in TID , Yes it would be nice to see a 9” DD.

Here's one (video) digging 100 yr old nails using the 600. Interesting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aRmGqMVDqZk

We all are on a learning curve learning the new F2 settings.

On the video he could have the sensitivity to high also he may need to turn up the recovery speed may need to be raised for better separation.
Minelab tutorial says it’s best to use the upgrade in all metal and he had it in park 1.
So I myself am not sure about the upgrade in different modes yet.
One thing I am confused about is the manual says it should be used in all metal but it says the settings are local settings . Not sure how they mean that.
I have some playing around to do to figure that out.
Doug

I only hunt in all metal mode I dug a few rusty caps yesterday on the beach with FE 2 I mean they were deep 12”-14” maybe calabash were will do a video his videos are very good.
Mark

Donut said:
We all are on a learning curve learning the new F2 settings.

On the video he could have the sensitivity to high also he may need to turn up the recovery speed may need to be raised for better separation.
Minelab tutorial says it’s best to use the upgrade in all metal and he had it in park 1.
So I myself am not sure about the upgrade in different modes yet.
One thing I am confused about is the manual says it should be used in all metal but it says the settings are local settings . Not sure how they mean that.
I have some playing around to do to figure that out.
Doug

Local Settings only take effect on the detecting mode you are using at the moment. So if you switch from park 1 to park 2, for example, the iron bias settings you were using in park 1 will be different in park 2. Then you have "Global Settings," which in turn are the same through all the detecting modes. Volume is a global setting because unless you increase or decrease the volume when you go to the next detecting mode, it remains the same throughout all the detecting modes.

Correct I do understand the local and global settings.
In the video He was using the new F2 in Park 1 as his test and the update In the manual says to use it in manual.
So what everyone here is wondering is how the F2 will affect park 1

Doug

You are correct about the video. Maybe one can use the F2 iron bias settings the way shown on the video, but when reading the instructions (quoted text from the manual, below), I would guess that not having the detector on All Metals would make it less effective (?).

How can using a detector in all metal make it better at eliminating bottle caps when all metal responds to everything?

Because the detector gives out an iron grunt that you can only hear running zero discrimination. Accepting all numbers on the Equinox is not a true all metal mode. It is zero discrimination.

Some people are confused because Minelab calls it the "All Metal" button in the Equinox manual. By that, they mean that by pressing the horseshoe button, all metal target responses will be accepted. The button is a quick way to go from preset discrimination patterns that are factory or user preset patterns that reject (discriminate) some targets over to everything being accepted. The button is a convenient shortcut. The X-Terras have the same button labeled AM.

Some beach hunters like Mkus say they are hunting in "All Metal". They are hunting in Beach 1 or Beach 2 with nothing discriminated.

Jeff

chuck said:
How can using a detector in all metal make it better at eliminating bottle caps when all metal responds to everything?

The same way listening in non-disc help identify any trashy iron target.
Because the detector has different tones for each target range.
And you can't hear that iron tone unless you're in horseshoe/all metal/non-disc.

By hearing the choppy high tones along with the now obvious iron tones, it's now much easier to identify small pieces of iron junk...and most bottle caps.
(Before, the 2.0 update, EQ's had a really annoyingly bad habit of sounding really good...with no low tones...on some trash (like BC's).... especially near the surface.)

Because of the way modern motion-based detectors work, they are prone to rusty iron's edge and tip falsing, especially under certain ground conditions.
So far, no manufacturer has found a way to completely eliminate this unfortunate characteristic.

However, experienced detectorists have learned long ago, to check spotty signals with no disc to listen for the more obvious tell-tale signs of the iron grunts.
Some even prefer to hunt some locations with no disc to save time avoiding investigating every little iron false.

When you get a tiny high squeek right next to a blasting iron tone, it's probably an iron false. Probably.
Rotate around the target and listen to the signal tone in all metal.
There's a lot of info there you simply can't get in full disc mode.

If you don't check iffy targets in all-metal, you'll only hear the high tone false .... and then dig every false signal .... thus adding to your your rusty nail and bottle cap collection.

mike

IDXMonster said:
I don’t have the 6” coil for the 800 but I’ve got one for the CTX. One thing I’ve noticed with tiny coils like that...they are GREAT in some situations but seem to want to make a lot of junk into coins in other situations. I don’t know why this is or what I can do to alleviate this, I like the separation ALOT! Perhaps the 6” on the EQX will be a different story...

No the 6 inch coil for the nox will be the same let me explain . I did a video a while back on the ctx and falsing https://youtu.be/eJZTaam2YZ8

There are 2 types of falses one under the coil meaning target is under the coil this sounds like a choppy high tone or if its a short iron then it will sound like a crackle but there's still 2 separate high tones some will sound as one making you dig example 1 inch small nail having user screen set to a slower recovery will let you here that 2 separate high tones this signal will come in at 19 to 20 thinking Indian so if you here the crackle or 2 separate high tones leave .

Then there's the throw en false where the tip of the nail is high toning and when you pinpoint you are pulled to the nail target is 4 inches long not coin size don't have to sweep the other way because if there was a coin with that nail any detector will find it under the nail even on a north south hit .

Getting back to the 11 and 6 inch coil if using the 6 in a nail bed where the nails are 6 to 7 inches apart the 6 is going to false like crazy (WHY) because there is no other target under the coil if you watch the video you will see when I place a nail under the coil the throw en false stops . Now if we have a nail bed with the nails 3 inches apart then the throw en falses stop .

Now take the 11 inch coil here 6 to 7 inch nail bed and there's no throw en falses same said for a 3 inch bed of nails (WHY) because there's always a target under the coil but we take the 11 in a nail bed that has nails 12 inches and farther apart and the throw en falses start again . Then again in any nail bed you will get the da da or choppy high tone when directly over a nail in the right direction with any coil .

Looking at the video on this page where the user is disappointed in the 6 he just does not understand what's happening he says that he went 7 feet without a false will there's a reason he's got targets under the coil all the time if you have 2 or 3 nails under that big coil you will even cut down on your falsing directly over the nail it can't false because of the other target .that place is for a 6 inch coil look at it this way every target the 11 will get so close but the 6 will get closer which equals virgin ground .this will go for any place you hunt who in there right my will do a whole park or fairgrounds 40 ac or more with a 6 inch coil plenty of virgin ground . The 6 takes time to use but there are rewards .

I have been using the nox with the new update i' am liking it so easy to tell nails and caps it's in the audio .
Settings park 1 sensitivity 15 to 25 depending on site recovery 1 to 6 site dependent iron bias fe2 at 0 5 tone 50 tone to hard to use 5 tone gives plenty of nuances in all metal what I use .

So that's why the 6 falses more and by the way that 6 inch coil will be staying on the nox tell I ware it out . :thumbup: sube