Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Newbie question.

Dougk

Hey all,
Not sure if this is the correct forum for this but...

I don't currently have a detector. I am looking at getting one soon. I've read review after review yet am completely undecided as to make and model.
Without starting a war, what is a good detector for some one that knows nothing about metal detectors?

Thank you
Doug.

Hey Doug. Great question. It seems almost every major brand has a great selection to choose from. I would say any of the major brands would do fine. Figure out how much you want to spend and then research each brand's choices. I chose an inexpensive detector as my first to see how deep my interest was. I soon found myself wanting another better machine. I considered brand reputation, warranty, features and available accessories and coils. The important thing is to make your best decision and get started. You'll learn a lot fast about what you like and what you dont and what you need and what you dont. Get started and have fun! Good luck and happy hunting. Matt

thanks Matt!
I'm down to two machines I think. Garret Infinium, or minelab Excalibur. I can get a used infinium in Grande Prairie Alberta for about 700 can. The Excalibur is available in Burnaby new for around 1400. Both I think are great machines and within my price range. Not sure I like the 8 "AA" batteries in the infinium but I can get rechargeable for that. Any thoughts?

Wow! Nice choices! I'd def go with a recharge system if you get that model. Either detector would be spectacular in my opinion. You may want to further your knowledge of these machines by looking at the Forums pertaining to each model. You can ask specific questions and read how others are doing with theirs. Good luck and HH. Matt

You could get a hundred opinions on what is best but there is no better advise than what you gave below Matt.

All entry level detectors by the major manufactures are good machines Doug, I too suggest starting with a not too expensive machine to learn the hobby with and you can always move up later when you get bit by the bug. A good example would be the White's Coinmaster or Coinmaster Pro and I would also suggest looking up a dealer in your area if you have one. His advise could be worth as much as the detector.

http://whiteselectronics.com/coinmaster.html

http://whiteselectronics.com/coinmasterpro.html

Thanks for advice people!:bouncy:

I work in Grande Prairie Alberta but live in Abbotsford British Columbia :canadaflag:. I'm not sure if there are dealers in Grande Prairie and have been unable to find a club up there. There is a dealer in Burnaby BC but think he only carries the minelab detectors. I'll have to do another search for more dealers.

The two detectors from whites that are mentioned above, are they good detectors? I don't want to spend 2 to 3 hundred bucks only to find 2 months down the road that I should have just bought the minelab or garret that I'm looking at. I know that down road I'll be prob be getting more gear but I'd like to have one machine that I can use for a year before I start looking at more specialized ones.

I think you kinda answered your own question. You will need to get a detector and learn what you like and what you dont like about it before you can choose a detector to really suit your needs. Not many people can just hit the nail on the head and buy their perfect detector first shot unless they have a buddy who has one they like or you visit your local dealer and spend time trying different detectors. I had an inexpensive Bounty Hunter Sharp Shooter II for months before I got my Minelab Sovereign GT. I love that detector but soon wanted some visual action so I got a White's DFX. I gave the Sharp Shooter II to my brother and got myself a Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505 as a third detector. Somewhere in all this mix I had a Fisher F75 SE Ltd which was a great machine but just too much for me to learn while still learning the other machines. I sold the Fisher. Now I focus on learning the machines I have. One of my biggest reasons for choosing the GT and the DFX is all the available accessories and coils to choose from. You will have to figure out your own priorities for yourself. My humble advice is to get a relatively inexpensive detector you like and get out there swinging. Everything will come together for you. I'd hate to see you spend tons of money on a detector only to get frustrated with it and then ditch the hobby all together. Hope this helps. HH. Matt