Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Nickel TID on the ORX

Listener

You probably have noticed while the Orx with the HF Elliptical coil that at 14.4 KHz a Nickel reads around 62/63 if not too deep and the most common pull tab from aluminum cans reads 62/63 in coin fast or deep, but if you switch to 74 KHz the nickel will jump a little to 65/66 while if it is a pull tab it will jump a little higher to 69 to 72 besides having a harsher tone between the center of the coil to the toe when you wiggle back. It's just that the Orx isn't user friendly in switching programs or frequency without multiple button pushes. i.e. if you coin hunt in coin deep the frequency is set at 14.4 and you can set up program #5 the same as coin deep with 74 as the frequency and it takes 4 button pushes to get back to coin deep. I prefer to park hunt in 14.4 because the numbers mimic the low Frequency coin and the X35 on the Deus in id norm on, which I am accustomed too.
I know there are going to be comments, Well I only hunt using tones. I do too but age has forced my dimming ears to also check the TID because also when you are 78 it's called saving the knees!
Last weekend I was trying out the new Orx control with the Elliptical coil and found 4 nickels on a brief outing on a very cold Saturday. So I went back out on Sunday and crossed paths with a guy swinging a Nox 800. We talked a bit and moved on. I went around a tree that I had seen him digging a bit and wanted to see what he missed. I found two nickels about a foot apart. Maybe he had a hearing problem but it didn't show up while we were chatting. Probably has happened to me many times also. LOL. Starting to like Orx as much as I do the Deus. OH yeah, I found another two nickels on the way to the truck. HH and hope this is a little help to someone.

I like my ORX, but not in trashy parks. If the park is trashy I bring my equinox, the ORX is like a machine gun, I have no idea how anyone separates out the tones. With 3 tones all I hear is beep,beep,beep beep,beep,beep,beep,beep, beep,beep,beep,beep,beep. should I keep going, the beeps are endless, even moving slower, occasionally I hear an iron grunt. In less trashy parks it is fine and I find nickles, dimes,quarters and jewelry. And yes I use the HF elliptical coil, thought about investing in the x35 coil, but feel I would only hear more beep,beep,beep,beep, than I already do. A few of my friends have bought the Apex and are finding more than I ever have with the Nox, so for $400, it may be a better investment than a coil yes they are finding more nickles than me.

Interesting, I'm just the opposite. I'll take the Deus in heavy modern trash or in heavy iron. I use the 9" x35 coil, works great for me. I used the Nox for a while but didn't like coil sizes.

I didn't have that coil to test but since the high frequency is 55khz on the hf 9" the tid spread might not be as much as with. elliptical coil. Sure wish the Orx had at least 5 tones and more flexibility for changing programs though.

That is some great information about low/mid conductor numerical target IDs on the ORX drifting upward a bit when changing frequencies on shallow targets. I believe the ORX with the HF and X-35 coils has ID normalized for target readings at 18 kHz and ID norm is always ON. Using the Deus with ID norm ON it is the same 18 kHz with the X-35 coils and the original LF coils. IDs cannot be normalized using the Deus with the HF coils. The ORX has a decided advantage over the Deus if consistent target IDs using the HF coils at different frequency settings on shallow targets is important. That little bit of drift you noticed is a very good diagnostic if those low to mid conductors aren't too deep. At least where I detect in moderate to high mineralization, the Deus with ID norm ON and the ORX will severely up average deeper low to mid conductive targets no matter what frequency I use. A nickel will read in the copper penny/clad dime range at 3 to 4" deep or deeper. The same thing happens with all single frequency VLF detectors here.

Here are 3 charts I made and wish at the time I had a bottle cap to throw in the mix. It is bizarre what the readings are using the elliptical coil on the Orx in coin deep. It really bunches up the high conducters.
Making the charts really showed me what was happening to pull tabs. I used two types. The aluminum one off pop cans and the other one must have some steel because it reads much higher.
I am in a gold ring drought and was looking for a way to decipher out the trash around nickels. Also some of my best large gold rings read up in the zinc penny category. Bummer.

Attachments

• LF Coil 9inch.jpg
    LF Coil 9inch.jpg
    141.6 KB · Views: 191
  • X35 Coil 9inch .jpg
    X35 Coil 9inch .jpg
    147.3 KB · Views: 179
  • HF Elliptical Coil.jpg
    HF Elliptical Coil.jpg
    194 KB · Views: 202
Listener, that interesting. Is it possible that you do some tests, like putting down 20 pull tabs and throw a dime in the middle to see if you can separate the signals with each coil

Interesting, I'm just the opposite. I'll take the Deus in heavy modern trash or in heavy iron. I use the 9" x35 coil, works great for me. I used the Nox for a while but didn't like coil sizes.
I've thought about that coil, just did not know how it would compare with the elliptical in trash. I love the ORX because of the weight, and the fact it can be easily put in a backpack. Old cabin sites, forget about it with the elliptical.

Listener, that interesting. Is it possible that you do some tests, like putting down 20 pull tabs and throw a dime in the middle to see if you can separate the signals with each coil
Well that might take some doing, Why would you want too. There are better sites if pull tabs are that thick, walk away. I did hunt around a picnic table almost like that once and kept at it till I found a small 14 K gold band. Gave it to my dau. in law and she lost it. Bummer. I frequently find coins nested among trash but I am not swinging like mad and keep my coil level and step around the target if it indicates something is there besides the trash squawk. The test I did were air test and using the default setting on reactivity of 2. When I hunt parks I always use 2.5 or 3 with the elliptical and don't sweep with large swings to keep the coil level. I understand your frustrations. I just found this bargain on the Orx control and already had a Deus with the Elliptical. That thing is great in full tones and before I got the Orx control my weekly coin totals were over 50 bucks a week just going out a few hours a day. It was depressing only finding so much less with the Orx that I decided to try and up the game. Then cold weather hit and I don't get out much. Last time out there was a lady with a bounty hunter that was beating me bad. I thought, it only has 3 tones so something needs to change. Like the picnic bench, if you think there is a gold ring amongst the garbage, you go for it. Sometimes it is not there, more often than not but that is where the gold hides. Just keep at it Bob and you will get there. Up the reactivity or get the 9 inch coil. The x35 I think is good on the Orx, it would be nice if it allowed the boost mode. I really like the elliptical on the Deus best its a real hound dog and forces you to hunt properly. I was using it in full tones and hunting around where some ring vendors set up at the park. I found 8 rings and along the side walk I got an 82 and the tone was real low and fluttie sounding. Really puzzled me so I dug it and it was a neckless with a gold plated charm that I and many others had walked over several years because it was a couple of inches down and really caught up in the roots, took a while to get it out. I agree with others on nickels bringing down the tid if in the mix of coins. It will bring down a quarter to 91 if touching it or close. I always dig the 91's and 92's I get a lot of copper pennies but never miss those quarters.
Hang in there.

Can't give up on parks that keep on giving. $50 a week is fantastic, I usually average $20 -25 for 2-3 days at 3 hrs a day. Its the rings I'm after, I usually average 5 - 9 a month, today 1 earring, same last week (1 day each) but when there is too much trash I bring out the Nox. I would rather use the ORX, and yes I have been using reactivity of 3, regardless of which machine I use, I never seem to cover more than a 75x 25 foot area in any given day, yet my buddies are all over the place. so I'm not moving very fast, or yea 1 whetty today, at least 20 coppers 50 zink

Yep love those rings, got a couple of ring boxes full and 3 large pill bottles full of rings. I found 6 in a small area a couple weeks ago. They were all copper nickel and all were 42/44 on the Deus at 14.4 khz. Also find lots of bus tokens. Got a lot of 50 on the classifieds right now. They come in as 87 on the readout, steady as a rock. HH.