Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Nickels !? Loads of em today !

BH_Landstar_

And I thought my F5 was a nickel hog but the Gold Bug Pro stomps all over it !!!

Todays hunt...

$2.35 in nickels

$6.50 in quarters

$0.30 in dimes

= $9.15

Nice hunt BH, Seems we have switched weather! Cant wait for summer. With all this snow it will be June before hunting the mountain spots Ive researched.
Glad your finally getting out.
HH

The Gold Bug Pro really does produce a lot of nickles with the 5 inch coil. I can tell most of the time from the sound if it's a nickle or junk.

Same here on the sound. mine hits 58 on the nickels found one the other day at about 8 inch hitting 57-58 but by the sound i knew it was a nickel dug a small plug out scan it again solid 58 Love my Gold bug Pro.

Due to lots of rain, my new G2 has only been out a couple times. But it seems to really like nickels as well.

You guys are KILLING me! I have not found a single nickel with my Gold Bug Pro (11" DD coil) yet. While I haven't used it much yet (only about 10-12 hours in the field), I have found wheat pennies, memorials, zincs, clad dimes and quarters...but NO nickels!! (Not even when hunting behind those Minelab guys, Bart!! :) ) I am digging 58s, 57s, 60s...nothing but pull-tab-type trash. Weird.

Steve

sgoss66 said:
You guys are KILLING me! I have not found a single nickel with my Gold Bug Pro (11" DD coil) yet. While I haven't used it much yet (only about 10-12 hours in the field), I have found wheat pennies, memorials, zincs, clad dimes and quarters...but NO nickels!! (Not even when hunting behind those Minelab guys, Bart!! :) ) I am digging 58s, 57s, 60s...nothing but pull-tab-type trash. Weird.

Steve

Use the 5" DD coil and you will !!!

Steve i hit a Gold ring small size 4, 10kt solid 68 i use the 5' coil. Hit on a piece of metal at 85 solid, but knew it was metal by the real high tone sound. ground balance 77 in the park i have been going to. When i started out i would write down the vdi on what i found different pull tabs so on, listen to the sound that they made. Gold will be in that same range, But the sound will tell you. Have to have a good set of head phones a must.

Bill

Yeah, the 5" coil makes nickles pop out of the ground. It seems to ID better than the 11" coil.

I'm thinking that a 7" coil would be a nice all round size coil to swing.:detecting:

Try the 8 inch WOW :surprised: 11inches on a nickle

goldman55 said:
When i started out i would write down the vdi on what i found different pull tabs so on, listen to the sound that they made. Gold will be in that same range, But the sound will tell you. Have to have a good set of head phones a must.

Bill

Bill, what brand name of headphones you using ?

OK, several things...

First, several of you have said "use the 5" coil." I would think, being that this machine is not the depth beast that the F70/75 are, that using the 5" coil might really limit the depth...

tabman, you say the 5" IDs better than the 11"? That's amazing. I think the 11" IDs REALLY well, and I know on my F70, its 5" coil seems to ID no better, and maybe worse, than the 10" stock concentric on ID. And that's not good, as the 10" itself is not very good at IDing beyond 6" in my soil. The 5" is certainly NO better. So, given how much I like the ID ability of the 11" DD on my Gold Bug, if the 5" is BETTER, I'm amazed. What is the depth like on the 5" coil -- noticably worse than the 11" I'd think?

Bill (goldman55), you say you can tell gold from a pull tab by the sound? Really? I haven't found a gold ring, so I can't say for sure, but I can't (so far -- still low hours on my Gold Bug) hear the differences you refer to between junk targets and coin targets. I'm with BH_Landstar, asking what kind of headphones you are using? I can't break the bank on headphones, but if there's a set of moderately-priced ones that will help, I'm all ears (no pun intended!)

Steve

sgoss66 said:
First, several of you have said "use the 5" coil." I would think, being that this machine is not the depth beast that the F70/75 are, that using the 5" coil might really limit the depth...

How does the your F70 stack-up against the Bug when using rings and nickles? My Gold Bug Pro using the 5" coil got 9" on a nickle, 7" on a copper penny, 8" on a clad quarter, and 7" on a dime in air test. I dug a dime at 9". Go figure.

I like both coils. The 11" is deeper and covers ground faster. The 5" is lighter, ID's nickles better for me and is easier to pinpoint with. It also can pick through the trash better.

tabman --

The F70 seems about equal to the Gold Bug in depth on hitting the nickels and rings, with its 10" stock coil versus the Gold Bug's 11" DD. I think your numbers with the 5" coil are impressive, and if there is ID to go with that depth, then I need the 5" coil!!

I like the 11" DD coil also; can you tell me what you mean when saying the %' coil "ID's nickels better"? Just a more steady VDI, or does it give the good "58" for a nickel while separating the bits of tabs and stuff into slightly higher or lower VDI ranges? Like I say, I dig lots of 57/58/59 numbers with the 11" DD, and it's all been junk. Maybe the 5" separates the junk VDIs away from the nickel VDIs better? Is the nickel a "58" number with the 5"? What else, if anything, have you tended to dig, at that same nickel VDI number, when using the 5"?

Steve

I don't know how to really explain why the 5" coil IDs nickles better than the 11" coil does. It's how it sounds when it hits a 58. It's not tinny sounding.:shrug:

Yes the air test numbers I did included the correct ID for each coin.

sgoss66 said:
I like the 11" DD coil also; can you tell me what you mean when saying the %' coil "ID's nickels better"?

I think what you are after here, is to play the odds and see. The problem is the 5 inch coil will not be as deep, however it will see less ground and be a little more better with the VDI numbers. But this doesn't mean there a nickel under the coil, this mean given the information back from the target is close to a nickel.

sgoss66 said:
Just a more steady VDI, or does it give the good "58" for a nickel while separating the bits of tabs and stuff into slightly higher or lower VDI ranges? Like I say, I dig lots of 57/58/59 numbers with the 11" DD, and it's all been junk. Maybe the 5" separates the junk VDIs away from the nickel VDIs better? Is the nickel a "58" number with the 5"?

Since all these questions, they seem to be in the same area. I will answer "No". A 57/58/59 VDI is what the computer is telling you. That does not mean it's a nickel. The 5 inch coil does separate better than an 11 inch coil, the reason for this is the 5 inch coil sees less ground = less to deal with in a number of targets and ground. "Yes" a 5 inch coil is 58 VDI just like the 11 inch coil. Switch over to all metal and size your target with a 5 inch and you will be able to see how big a coin is to a beer can. There are 2 times you will get a reduction in VDI numbers, One when the target is so deep the Audio only will pick the target up, Two when 2 targets are near by each other.

sgoss66 said:
What else, if anything, have you tended to dig, at that same nickel VDI number, when using the 5"?

I going to help you with this , Lets say you start hunting, and you get a reading say 51/53/56. And you dug that target and it was a pull tab, and the next target does the same VDI number. Now remember, your ground balance, your in the same dirt and everything is the same, would you dig it?

WTG BH !!!!

Ken in Georgia said:
I going to help you with this , Lets say you start hunting, and you get a reading say 51/53/56. And you dug that target and it was a pull tab, and the next target does the same VDI number. Now remember, your ground balance, your in the same dirt and everything is the same, would you dig it?

Yes, I would dig it, it might be a gold ring ! I've also noticed that 56 reading can produce a deep nickel as I've dug a few.

I got a set of Teknetics headphones with my G-2 that have never been out of the box. If you are interested send me a PM. And by all means get the 5" coil it will suprise you how it locks on targets in trashy areas. Also Bart my Minelab is very good on nickels (14or15) = nickel. HH :teknetics::minelab: