Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

No beach videos on Equinox has me scared ill wait!!!!

Rich does the deus perform well on salt water beaches?
Ive never used one or even seen one other than online .
Rich (Utah) said:
mossy99 said:
No amount of pre orders for this machine will encourage me to place an order until genuine tests on the beach have been conducted by experienced detectorists. My Deus is there waiting for me and is unlikely to be on " flea bay " until these user reports start filtering through and give a genuine statement as to the capabilities of the Equinox. Because of the proximity of first class beaches, my efforts in detecting must be helped by the right tools for the job ! [ My standby machine is CS4pi used in the wet sand ] Cut the sales talk---give us the facts ASAP.:clapping:

mossy99,
I think the equinox is being touted as a competitor of the Deus. If you ALREADY have a Deus, and are an experienced user that likes it, I don't see any reason to abandon it. As field reports from the equinox start coming in and people start gaining a sense of ability, then the detecting community can start measuring performance against other multi-frequency and selectable frequency detectors already out there like the Deus, V3i, Impact, CZ's, BBS/FBS machines and such.

Happy Thanksgiving to everybody out there and safe travels.

Rich -

mossy99 said:
No amount of pre orders for this machine will encourage me to place an order until genuine tests on the beach have been conducted by experienced detectorists. My Deus is there waiting for me and is unlikely to be on " flea bay " until these user reports start filtering through and give a genuine statement as to the capabilities of the Equinox. Because of the proximity of first class beaches, my efforts in detecting must be helped by the right tools for the job ! [ My standby machine is CS4pi used in the wet sand ] Cut the sales talk---give us the facts ASAP.:clapping:

This is what I have said to certain people that are in the know. If they want it to sell big they got to get testing made public or nor release any knowledge of the machine till testing is done.

Nuke em said:
mossy99 said:

This is what I have said to certain people that are in the know. If they want it to sell big they got to get testing made public or nor release any knowledge of the machine till testing is done.

"That's what we used to do!
You know that...we usually announced new Minelab's at Corfe Minelabowners rallies!
And that was the way to go. None of this NEW FAD for 'pre-announcing' machines!

It's causing havoc in the marketplace and should be banned!!! Toxic I think to participate in it as a manufacturer.

Another thread over on the Dankowski forum asked " What will Fisher announce tomorrow?"
I really thought they would announce 'a new model Available early 2018', !!!!!!

Just STOP it please ALL manufacturers of detectors!!!
Release when READY to ship!!!"

Des D said:
Nuke em said:
mossy99 said:

"That's what we used to do!
You know that...we usually announced new Minelab's at Corfe Minelabowners rallies!
And that was the way to go. None of this NEW FAD for 'pre-announcing' machines!

It's causing havoc in the marketplace and should be banned!!! Toxic I think to participate in it as a manufacturer.

Another thread over on the Dankowski forum asked " What will Fisher announce tomorrow?"
I really thought they would announce 'a new model Available early 2018', !!!!!!

Just STOP it please ALL manufacturers of detectors!!!
Release when READY to ship!!!"

Hi Des ,

Thats the way it should be . I remember when the ET came out . I knew nothing till it was in the shops . Really annoyed me though as i bought a new SE Pro 2 weeks before and then i saw at digs people with the latest and greatest LOL
So i had to have that too.

Now the cat is out of the bag about the Equinox they had better get it right or there will be more than egg on their faces .

Folks at Minelab have asked that I make this post regarding the EQUINOX and beach videos:

A fundamental principle of metal detection physics is that susceptibility to salt increases with frequency. Therefore a simultaneous multi-frequency detector will outperform a single frequency detector at the beach, on wet sand and in the water. Rather than losing a great amount of sensitivity through coarse filtering (in a single frequency detector), EQUINOX is able to better mathematically subtract the salt signal across the Multi-IQ spectrum by way of having many more measurement data-points. (We may explain this further in a Treasure Talk blog a bit later on?) This is also why "Multi" is the only frequency option for Beach Mode. - to eliminate the "falsing" that you consider may be an issue. Even then, there will likely always be difficult conditions that mean you need to run a detector at a lower sensitivity setting rather than 'at maximum'. Some people like to push the limits of stability, but then others will complain that the detector isn't working properly 'at maximum'. While the market is anxiously anticipating this machine, it is easy to get caught up in the speculation and lack of information - leading to doubts. First we had the upgradeable software doubts, and then the replaceable battery doubts - which both originated from incorrect info being given out by sources that may not have had the correct specification to begin with. If Minelab publishes the video you require it will be dismissed as "more hype" or “rigged”. When our field testers publish videos it may be regarded as "paid promotion" to put it kindly! Why are there no "beach" videos and many field" videos right now? This is because the early demo detectors we had at Detectival were left with European dealers who then tried them in their typical inland detecting locations. Also, these demo detectors were not set up with full functionality - including Beach Mode and Gold Mode. This doesn't imply problems - it just means limited capability for preliminary review, so that these dealers are well prepared to answer questions when EQUINOX is available. If you 'like' your X-TERRA, and have used FBS detectors, you will 'love' your EQUINOX! We stand by our "obsolete" message and expect that the market will better understand this when people get their own hands on a detector for themselves. You are, after all, the ultimate judge of whether you like a product or not. Yes, reviews from trusted sources can always reassure or reaffirm - and these will come. While potential (possibly impulsive) buyers may pre-order, cancel, re-order, 'wait and see' - at the moment no one can walk into a store and buy. While the wait can be exciting (or frustrating), there is more information 'out there' about EQUINOX already than we have had for previous product releases. Whether you think of EQUINOX as 'X-TERRA on steroids', 'FBS lite', 'single frequency killer' or any other term - it has many features and functions not available in market offerings from other brands - including the two you mention. It's simultaneous multi-frequency, waterproof, light-weight, wireless audio, low-cost and more... in the one detector! We're working hard to 'get them out the door' as soon as we can! Best Regards, Minelab

Digger said:
Folks at Minelab have asked that I make this post regarding the EQUINOX and beach videos:

A fundamental principle of metal detection physics is that susceptibility to salt increases with frequency. Therefore a simultaneous multi-frequency detector will outperform a single frequency detector at the beach, on wet sand and in the water. Rather than losing a great amount of sensitivity through coarse filtering (in a single frequency detector), EQUINOX is able to better mathematically subtract the salt signal across the Multi-IQ spectrum by way of having many more measurement data-points. (We may explain this further in a Treasure Talk blog a bit later on?) This is also why "Multi" is the only frequency option for Beach Mode. - to eliminate the "falsing" that you consider may be an issue. Even then, there will likely always be difficult conditions that mean you need to run a detector at a lower sensitivity setting rather than 'at maximum'. Some people like to push the limits of stability, but then others will complain that the detector isn't working properly 'at maximum'. While the market is anxiously anticipating this machine, it is easy to get caught up in the speculation and lack of information - leading to doubts. First we had the upgradeable software doubts, and then the replaceable battery doubts - which both originated from incorrect info being given out by sources that may not have had the correct specification to begin with. If Minelab publishes the video you require it will be dismissed as "more hype" or “rigged”. When our field testers publish videos it may be regarded as "paid promotion" to put it kindly! Why are there no "beach" videos and many field" videos right now? This is because the early demo detectors we had at Detectival were left with European dealers who then tried them in their typical inland detecting locations. Also, these demo detectors were not set up with full functionality - including Beach Mode and Gold Mode. This doesn't imply problems - it just means limited capability for preliminary review, so that these dealers are well prepared to answer questions when EQUINOX is available. If you 'like' your X-TERRA, and have used FBS detectors, you will 'love' your EQUINOX! We stand by our "obsolete" message and expect that the market will better understand this when people get their own hands on a detector for themselves. You are, after all, the ultimate judge of whether you like a product or not. Yes, reviews from trusted sources can always reassure or reaffirm - and these will come. While potential (possibly impulsive) buyers may pre-order, cancel, re-order, 'wait and see' - at the moment no one can walk into a store and buy. While the wait can be exciting (or frustrating), there is more information 'out there' about EQUINOX already than we have had for previous product releases. Whether you think of EQUINOX as 'X-TERRA on steroids', 'FBS lite', 'single frequency killer' or any other term - it has many features and functions not available in market offerings from other brands - including the two you mention. It's simultaneous multi-frequency, waterproof, light-weight, wireless audio, low-cost and more... in the one detector! We're working hard to 'get them out the door' as soon as we can! Best Regards, Minelab

:thumbup:.

OK then but dont take too long . I am in a hurry to find my first Gold ring with an Equinox .

Now I am really glad I cancelled my preorder. This does nothing for my confidence. Doesn't do much for confidence of a December roll out either. Good luck to everybody. I'm just a pessimist!!!

Thats being realistic not pessimistic.
There will be time to get one after release and in the meantime enjoy the feedback from new owners.
\"Carolina\" said:
Now I am really glad I cancelled my preorder. This does nothing for my confidence. Doesn't do much for confidence of a December roll out either. Good luck to everybody. I'm just a pessimist!!!

Unless the hold up is to make enough Equinox when they are released so a dealer can get enough to take care of the pre orders as there maybe some waiting all next summer before some that didn't pre order may not get one until next summer or so.before they get one.
This happened to me when the E-Trac came out and as a dealer at the time I was able to get one to begin with and sold it right away and ordered a couple more in ( I was a small dealer) and that shipment showed up 6 month later, so I went all summer without a E-trac and lost many sales I could have had and feel this one may sell like hotcakes because of the price and how it is being marketed. You notice some dealers now will not take any pre orders ans they dont know how many they will get and when the next shipment will come in.

This is my opinion only from experience.

Rick

I wonder how many they can make per day ? They must be going like the clappers if your right Rick.

My thoughts are that Minelab claims that this is a multi frequency machine......This could mean this freq or that frequency ONE AT A TIME......This would make it much easier to come up with a machine with a faster processor since it only has to work on one frequency at a time.......Since you can pick the frequency, you could pick the frequency that works best for your application .....salt,gold,silver, relic, etc.........Hence the "almost as good " statement in the salt ....We already know of single frequency machines that will work okay in wet salt.....Not great but okay........and with added filtering, might be what we are looking at here.......Thinking more on the subject, this machine looks an awful lot like another great selling machine that is already on the market, and is light weight, something that Minelab machines have never been......for right around the same price......Why would a company sell a better performing machine than their top of the line machine for half the price ???..........Again......Just one mans thoughts.......I'd love to believe differently,and my best machines are Minelab but the hush hush on the subject of wet salt has me skeptical.....Jim

synthnut said:
My thoughts are that Minelab claims that this is a multi frequency machine......This could mean this freq or that frequency ONE AT A TIME......This would make it much easier to come up with a machine with a faster processor since it only has to work on one frequency at a time.......Since you can pick the frequency, you could pick the frequency that works best for your application .....salt,gold,silver, relic, etc.........Hence the "almost as good " statement in the salt ....We already know of single frequency machines that will work okay in wet salt.....Not great but okay........and with added filtering, might be what we are looking at here.......Thinking more on the subject, this machine looks an awful lot like another great selling machine that is already on the market, and is light weight, something that Minelab machines have never been......for right around the same price......Why would a company sell a better performing machine than their top of the line machine for half the price ???..........Again......Just one mans thoughts.......I'd love to believe differently,and my best machines are Minelab but the hush hush on the subject of wet salt has me skeptical.....Jim

I think some of this has been addressed with Minelabs info releases to date Multi IQ is using all freq in the model at one time or you can choose a single freq. So, that alone should tell beach hunters it will work in wet sand I read what Digger posted as very positive for beach users. IMO I don't see this machine being far behind FBS in most environments FBS is older tech this is something totally new and we know tech moves quick. I recall the CTX launch, I was a per order guy we had no videos and less info then on this machine. Perhaps Minelab is just that confident in what it will do they spent millions on R&D same brilliant minds that have produced top notch performance engineered this machine.

i have multi thousand dollar detectors and few hundred dollar detectors out hunt them in some situations, all i need to remember is they are tools and learn what one does what best and that comes from time behind the wheel and being willing to make purchases and if they are not tools i need get rid of them..

no brand loyalty here own minelab, XP, Fisher and Tesoro and while they have cross over uses each one has a task it out shines others at..

we all find what works for us and this new detector will click with some and not others, i always liked the 705 its a stand up silver / copper detector with the right coil/s and this new incarnation has evolved out of that tech if my reading between the lines is right, then i see no reason why it will not be a nice detector, the only question i am asking myself is do i want to reach in to my pocket and will it fill a very small void in my hard tested line up...

AJ

amberjack said:
i have multi thousand dollar detectors and few hundred dollar detectors out hunt them in some situations, all i need to remember is they are tools and learn what one does what best and that comes from time behind the wheel and being willing to make purchases and if they are not tools i need get rid of them..

no brand loyalty here own minelab, XP, Fisher and Tesoro and while they have cross over uses each one has a task it out shines others at..

we all find what works for us and this new detector will click with some and not others, i always liked the 705 its a stand up silver / copper detector with the right coil/s and this new incarnation has evolved out of that tech if my reading between the lines is right, then i see no reason why it will not be a nice detector, the only question i am asking myself is do i want to reach in to my pocket and will it fill a very small void in my hard tested line up...

AJ

Well said I too own garrets, minelabs, Teknetics and have tried whites and others. I think so many want a machine with CTX bells and whistles, FBS silver sniffing ability, all terrain features of the AT PRO line, Diving ability of an infinium, the boost mode of the T2, Raw depth of a pulse all in a dues style package. The reality is no one machine can do it all and in every setting. Just like you cant build a house with only a hammer. They are tools in a toolbox.

Hi Rick, hope all is well with you.
Can you remember if the etrac was available elsewhere
when you had to wait for yours as a smaller dealer?
[qŕuote=Rick(ND)]
Unless the hold up is to make enough Equinox when they are released so a dealer can get enough to take care of the pre orders as there maybe some waiting all next summer before some that didn't pre order may not get one until next summer or so.before they get one.
This happened to me when the E-Trac came out and as a dealer at the time I was able to get one to begin with and sold it right away and ordered a couple more in ( I was a small dealer) and that shipment showed up 6 month later, so I went all summer without a E-trac and lost many sales I could have had and feel this one may sell like hotcakes because of the price and how it is being marketed. You notice some dealers now will not take any pre orders ans they dont know how many they will get and when the next shipment will come in.

This is my opinion only from experience.

Rick[/quote]

Hi Jim. Hope all is well with you.
I agree with your post and find it puzzling minelab would do this unless, like I mentioned in a previous post, their intention is to eliminate 3 or 4 machines from their lineup. If the equinox works as well as or almost as well the ctx or etrac, plus can switch over to a single high freq and be killer on small gold....well they are certainly aware of how this will impact their lineup. Theyve had those coversations long ago.
And the cost....so inexpensive.....
You know garrett has a winner in their AT series even though its not great in salt water.....
Gonna be some interesting reading this winter...
synthnut said:

I don't see the Equinox being able to target ID with the same precision that the CTX and Etrac can. I could be wrong, but I don't see how a single target ID with limited discrimination segments can provide the information that the dual FE/CO values provide. If it replaces anything, I see the X-terra models being most likely to fade if the Equinox is all they say it is. I'm sure Minelab has a plan, but as of now us common folk are just guessing. Time will tell.

Neil said:
Hi Jim. Hope all is well with you.
I agree with your post and find it puzzling minelab would do this unless, like I mentioned in a previous post, their intention is to eliminate 3 or 4 machines from their lineup. If the equinox works as well as or almost as well the ctx or etrac, plus can switch over to a single high freq and be killer on small gold....well they are certainly aware of how this will impact their lineup. Theyve had those coversations long ago.
And the cost....so inexpensive.....
You know garrett has a winner in their AT series even though its not great in salt water.....
Gonna be some interesting reading this winter...
synthnut said:

If the Equinox kills off anything its likely to be the 505 / 705 and the Safari with a hit on ET sales.
My feeling is that there will be a new machine in 2/3 years time to replace the ET and Safari which will have fewer freqs than the ET and CTX . Maybe like the Sovereigns freqs but better spread and single capability and have a screen like the ET , a better 3 piece stem than the ET / Equinox and not too many extras like the GPS on the CTX .

The Equinox if successful will eat into the Garrett sales and Deus too . I think that Minelab have too much to lose now and that the Equinox will work on the salt wet without difficulty unlike the Garretts . Video's would be nice though .

But there is a thing i read on that other post about here somewhere and that is that the pre production units that have been tested haven't got all the gumpf on them and maybe the software isn't complete and thats why the videos aren't out yet ?
Most detector companies think land detecting most of the time. Beach detectorists seem to be treated like the Cinderella's of the detecting world.

Good point, not sure if that would be enough to keep the others around but we will see.
The Xterra looks like its gone but something again doesnt add up is they went with seperate coils with the Xterra when they already had the tech to use one coil and change freq in the control pod....so maybe multiple coils actually performs better?
coherent said:
I don't see the Equinox being able to target ID with the same precision that the CTX and Etrac can. I could be wrong, but I don't see how a single target ID with limited discrimination segments can provide the information that the dual FE/CO values provide. If it replaces anything, I see the X-terra models being most likely to fade if the Equinox is all they say it is. I'm sure Minelab has a plan, but as of now us common folk are just guessing. Time will tell.

coherent said:

This is the question from a Youtube Viewer and the response from Minelab.
After reading the following statements, I believe that Multi-IQ is the future of multi-frequency.

cache mole
23 hours ago
Will Multi IQ obsolete FBS?

Minelab Metal Detectors
21 hours ago (edited)
A very good question!

We are generally stating that Multi-IQ obsoletes single frequency detectors, not simultaneous multi-frequency detectors. This really has captured market attention! It is quite likely that some people will become EQUINOX supporters, while others will want to keep using their favourite FBS detector (not too dissimilar to GPX vs GPZ).

So the best honest answer to your question right now is:

"Multi-IQ has the future potential to obsolete FBS technology."

For some users, that may be immediate when they buy an EQUINOX. For others it may be with a future product with Multi-IQ, or an enhancement of it.

If you refer to our first TT blog on Multi-IQ technology:
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx (link removed to comply with Findmall rules)
and look at the timeline diagrams - there were/are several generations of BBS/FBS detectors. We are only at the very beginning for Multi-IQ.

When EQUINOX is released, CTX 3030 will remain as our flagship treasure detector, having many functions that EQUINOX does not have - Fe/Co discrimination, Target Trace and others.

A significant advantage with Multi-IQ is it's FAST. Think of it as the typical mutli-frequency performance of a Minelab detector, at the speed of any good single frequency detector you are familiar with. Also, expect no performance downside running in "Multi" compared to a single frequency. Unless in Gold Mode, we recommend "Multi" as the best frequency option. But, you can use a single frequency if you wish, in Park and Field modes.

Brandon Neice said it very concisely in words that we can't really put in print ourselves:
"... the [xxxx] and the CTX got together and made a baby!"
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx(link removed to comply with Findmall rules)

The 'parents' are still around - but the 'cute baby' is something we think everyone will want to play with...