Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

No haircut for me in 7 years - finally I saw my elusive Barber yestrday

Ytcoinshooter

It's true, I just grow it long and tie it back. Getting out yesterday before our first snow to get some detecting in. I've been hoping to get back to the drained lake that had been good to me. Swampers, long handled scoop and a hot tuned V3i sporting a 12"x10" SEF in an area free of EMI / RFI where the trash is not dense. Last time with the same setup I found deep silver, 1917 walker & 2 silver quarters in one deep and wide hole. Most places like this I have to use a smaller coil, even the other areas I've searched at the same lake required it.
Within 20 minutes I got a clear strong hit that was indicating big silver at about 8 inches. I scooped just off the side of where it pinpointed, going just a little deeper than the target. I ran the pinpointer along the side the used my finger to expose the grey edge a big silver. The real top of the hole (not piled up sand) is a couple inches above the top of the Propointer.

Im real careful, especially with silver coins that are covered with sandy lake grit. Careless handling will cause ugly scratches. A little electrolysis really helped the appearance.
I haven't found a Barber coin all year and I've been hoping for this, especially this - my 8th silver half for 2014, my fourth from this spot on the lake. I was whooping like a kid when I exposed the edge and called my stepson Casey over as soon as I did. He got his first silver 1/2 ever from the opposite shore on a previous trip. He's no kid at 32 working as a corrections officer. He looks like a tattooed escapee from Golds Gym, super sweet guy for all his appearance. I think I sounded like him when he found his walker - we both yelled "I got a big one!" (Yeah, I hear the jokes you guys are thinking!) but it's true, it just came out naturally as I was waving my arms jumping around. I hardly found another coin the rest of the day until I was ready to call it quits. I had switched to my ATPro and moved to the opposite shore. I got a honking 90 on the target ID. When I turned over the big blackish disc after removing a few inches of sand I got a rush thinking could this be that elusive King of U.S. silver coins? A little closer look showed the outline of the eagle has landed design. Ok - still very cool as I done see these hardly ever being found. That's silver coin 79 this year and if Mother Nature ended my coin hunting for the year Id be ok. But I'm thinking after checking my weather app the forecast might allow another trip there next week. In any event I'm energized that I dug a prize I've been after. Last month in the same spot on that lake I had a two gold ring / two silver half day there so I'm always scheming of ways to approach that place to coax more.
On another note I wish my good friends here a safe and fulfilling thanksgiving holiday.
HH - Bruce

Congrats on some great finds..ive never even found a barber quarter yet let alone a barber half...that pic shows the different layers in the sand. looks like they added a layer of sand every few years....gotta tell ya though all that large stuff makes me wonder if there isnt a whole lot of small stuff out of reach...snowing here right now ,big flakes..have a nice thanksgiving and congrats on some great finds....

Gobble! Gobble! :surprised::drool::puke:

Theres nothing like a couple of big finds like those to really fire a guy up to hunt in all sorts of weather!:clapping: ..79 silvers for this year is Outstanding..I know you haven't got out as much as usual, but when you do, you make it pay..! I just got back in myself from a cold wade in the Big Lake...got a Q, 2 D's and 6 P's...:sadwalk: Thanks for the inspiration to try to match those finds of yours this weekend!:clapping:
Mud

YTC....Great silver finds:thumbup: Also a great play on words!!!! It seems like as the years roll by, silver finds are getting more scarce and you have to go deeper and deeper to find them unless Mother nature decides to change the 'real estate' by disturbing and redistributing the sand, soil and landscapes. But as you proved here, 8 inches or so is still not beyond the reach of a lot of the better metal detectors so there is still plenty of silver to be detected! Keep swinging before the snow arrives and who knows what you'll find next!

Congrats on some killer finds. I love reading and looking at your finds....love seeing the pics too, awesome man.

You sure know how to find the silver with that V3i Bruce. Way to go. What kind of eletrolysis set up you use?

Matt my electrolysis set up is an old 350 ma output transformer from a craftsman cordless screwdriver that wouldn't hold a charge. I split the wires / white stipe on black is positive. Solid black wire is negative. To each end I attached an alligator clip (mine have little screws that make it easy). I dissolve a rounded teaspoon of baking soda in 8 oz of water in a clear 2 cup Pyrex measuring cup. The positive clip attaches to a stainless steel spoon or fork (anode), the negative clip is gently put on the silver coin. I make sure the coin is fully below the surface then plug it in. Just don't let the stainless anode touch the coin. When I take out the silver coin I remove the tarnish and silver oxide with a genuine chamois. I aim for the grey circulated look, careful not to polish the coin. If necessary I repeat. I like low voltage 350 to 500 ma max so I don't cook the coin.
Hope this is useful to you.

Great Job.t took me 5 years to find my first halve and they were found the same day about 6 inches apart.They were Kennedy halves only one was silver but I was HAPPY!!!HH:jump:

Thanks Bruce for the electrolysis information, much better than shelling out hard earned money online to buy one. Going to go tear up an old charger now!

My method works best on silver. You can use a micro fiber cloth if u don't have a chamois. That really does the work great after a zap.

Excellent ! :clapping:

Congratulations on the Barber half, it's been a long time since I've found one, hopefully there'll be another some days but you know us detectorists we can never get enough :)

Really awesome nice find ! I found my first Barber when I was in first grade with a total piece of junk detector from radio shack that ran on one 9 volt battery. It was my very first good find and I'll just never forget it! That was in the 70's. I Just love Barbers and Morgans because the design was so beautiful.