Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

No tone, good numbers

I usually run with a wide open pattern, but decided to try using a pattern with discrimination. I'm using the combined tone ID.
When detecting I sometimes get NO tone, but will have a good number on the screen (eg 12/40)
Why?
Is the tone nulled out because it's actually an iron signal and the number is just a halo effect from it? Or is it an actual good target mixed with iron? But why no tone?
My understanding is a tone is the primary indicator of a good target and the numbers are secondary.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

We need more information to best answer your question but my first thought is the CTX is doing what you have asked it to do and you are right, audio is king. Displays are helpful but they will lie to you.

Did you dig the no audio 12/40 signal to see what it was? I have found signals like that to be iron and I now ignore them when coin hunting.

What more info do you need?
I did not dig these signals as I was assuming they were false readings, just posted to get others advice on this.

It's most likely a false number from a discriminated iron target.

I have found a couple of items that hit at 12/40 up to 43 with no tone. They were
stainless steel. One was a table spoon 9" down in the sand at Garden City, SC

Go figure

Larry (IL) said:
We need more information to best answer your question but my first thought is the CTX is doing what you have asked it to do and you are right, audio is king. Displays are helpful but they will lie to you.

Did you dig the no audio 12/40 signal to see what it was? I have found signals like that to be iron and I now ignore them when coin hunting.

Yes we need more imfo did you sweep the target the other way , did you check the fe line at 35.35 the curser that appears here .

Now as to being iron I respectably agree and disagree at the same time if trace is painting and you get no audio .

There are things to look for that well help you make a better guess to dig or not .

I am working on a video to show this . sube

Actually sometimes you can have a good target with no audio, i demonstrated this on my test bed with a video. I will post the diagram of the test hole with the video. You can see the dime but will not give tone, but is there on the display and can really see it with target trace pinpointing. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3XkIEeDppkI

Toolman0114 said:
I did not dig these signals as I was assuming they were false readings,

When in doubt, dig it out ...... at least until you have a better grasp on what is causing your detector to do what it does. I have dug a lot of one way signals and even some no audio signals and yes once in a great while, a nice target is found but it is not worth it to me to dig all that iron unless I'm hunting a very OLD site where I DO dig a lot of iffies.

Toolman0114 said:
What more info do you need?
I did not dig these signals as I was assuming they were false readings, just posted to get others advice on this.

If you are getting a visual TID but no audio response, it could be target masking. Or, it could be something as simple as your audio setting(s). To know whether or not it could be your audio settings, we'd need to know what they are. Some possibilities could be: Volume Gain, Threshold setting, Volume Limit, Separation Mode. Remember that the audio settings for the internal speaker, headphones, wireless speaker and wireless headphones are independently adjustable via the Audio menu.

I guess I'll be digging these signals and try to figure out what my CTX is trying to tell me. I will definitely see if I can isolate the signal in pinpoint mode.

If it does not build on target trace do not dig it , it will not be there. If you clearly see the build on target trace and good ID it will be there. This is the method i use to determine the ghost or false signals, saves a lot of time digging!

When you say "build on target trace" do you mean when the target circle darkens???

Trashfinder said:
If it does not build on target trace do not dig it , it will not be there. If you clearly see the build on target trace and good ID it will be there. This is the method i use to determine the ghost or false signals, saves a lot of time digging!

Yes it should build a little wad of red for a good target , can you see it in the video i did? Lighting might not be great but i was hoping it showed in the video.

Larry (IL) said:
[size=x-large]We need more information to best answer your question[/size] but my first thought is the CTX is doing what you have asked it to do and you are right, audio is king. Displays are helpful but they will lie to you.

******************************​

Thanks Larry for raising the point in your post regarding better / more details required...,

I've emphasised it visually to hopefully punch home the need of such, so we can respond with

a better assessment of matters.

Also....Best wishes to all, for an enjoyable Christmas.....matt