Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Not a comparison, but a question about capability..

willy

I have a White's V3 and, having just aquired it, have yet to even use it. That being said, I was just on the (shhhh..) Garrett forum nad there's a YouTube vid. showing the new AT Pro and its' 'tone roll' feature. Can the V3 do the same? I ask because I plan to buy one, when they're finally for sale, and it would be nice to have detectors that could operate in a similar fashion. Anybody? ..Willy.

I heard a threshold hum and target response. The V3 also has a threshold hum and a target response.
You can activate the bottle cap reject that lets YOU decide how much you want the iron in the bottle cap break up the audio.
You can pinpoint the target and let the freq tell you if it's a bottle cap over a coin. I like running the pinpoint scan feature.
You can use the stereo Mix Mode just like a Nauty and tell a cap apart from a coin.
You can compare target response in 3 frequencies to tell caps apart from a coin.
You can use the Corrolate feature to tell bottle caps from a coin.
You can compare phase numbers in 1 or 3 frequencies to tell caps apart from a coin.

Am I missing any, besides coil technique?

I'm finding the V3i to be the last inland metal detector I will probably ever buy. At least for the next decade.

HH
Mike

I agree Mike.

The V3 makes it difficult to decide what detector to buy next.

It is a very good detector out of the box, its challenging and capable of make you smile any day when you discover new things about its potential.

Those who keep to this detector will after a while master it. When you come to the point where you know in a blink of an eye how to dechiffer its talk and set it to the best settings for the environment and targets you wanna find there you may not need another machine. At least not a regular one. And what a powerhouse you have there when you are confident in the capability and how to use it to its full potential. But it will take a long long time...

But, we cant stop buying detectors...thats for sure...;-)

Making such a good detector as the V3 makes me wanna buy more whites, so next up is the TDI PRO...

Its a different beast and probably equally challenging and fun when you master it...

AFAIK, the AT Pro wasn't exhibiting a 'threshold hum' and then the target signal. What I discerned was a 'low tone-high tone-low tone' on the iron, and a single high tone on the coin. It also seemed to be modulated. Question is, can the V3 do the same? I'm not talking about VDI, just audio. ..Willy.

Hi Willy, The Garrett detector is getting mentioned more than needed. I'm thinking this post might be better on the general forum. I'm not interested in the Garrett and so I am not going to check their videos. if you have a question about what the V can do, just ask the question without referring to the Garrett. I know what the v can do , I don't know what the other detector can do. Rob

Hmm, I wasn't aware that mention of another detector brand is the equivalent of swearing in church on this forum.. oh well, live and learn. What I'm trying to do is to determine if the V3 can replicate a certain function as found on the G****t detector; given the vast array of adjustments available on the V3, there just might be a series of settings that will do so. I'm not trying to determine which is better. This is analogous to asking if the V3 can emulate the MXT. If so.. great, if not.. them's the breaks. ..Willy. BTW, I DO have a V3.

If it wasn't a threshold hum then it may have been the result of a continuously sampled audio. Peak Sampled audio cuts off the ends of the signal and passes through the peak. You just hear the beep. Kind of looking at a normal histogram with both ends cut off. A continuously sampled audio would let you hear the leading edges, the peak, and the trailing edge of the audio. Much like a VCO audio with the addition of tone id.

Can the V3 perform that type of audio id? I believe my V3i does this same type of audio sampling in the prospecting program as I can hear the same ramp up ramp down on target signals.

There is so much to learn about the capabilities of the V3i that it might be years more before we learn all that it be made to do.

HH
Mike.

edited for spelling :wacko:

Yup, and I'd like to find these things out. Right now I'm not in a position to MD, in a week or so that will change. What I'd like to do is develop the audio ID properties of the V3 as far as possible so that the visual ID, while nice, can be considered ancillary. That's one thing that always bothered me about the MXT.. constantly referring to the screen. I like to keep my eyes on the surrounding environment, especially since I'm often up in bear country (It was real fun toting a shotgun as well as my various bits of gear when nuggethunting in Alaska.. NOT!) . ..Willy.

By setting up custom tones you wouldn't have to look at the screen that much. My last detector was an MXT. With the V3i I can tell which coin is under the coil without looking.

Up here in Canada the coins can be a real bear to find. With the MXT I basically hunted well into iron acceptance and had to keep a close eye on the screen (or dig a whole lotta iron trash). This (the problems associated with our ferrous coins) was compounded by the ground mineralization.. 84-86. It wasn't unusual to dig up silver from 2-3 inches that was giving a mostly iron reading. Found a whole pile of current issue dimes that other MD'ers just went right over. First, however, I think I'll have a go at the Tulameen. It's a nightmare of hot-rocks (all sizes and innumerable), but good gold can be found. Unfortunately, it's also highly mineralized with a lot of iron trash. It was tough going there with both the MXT and my PI. Maybe the extra analysis afforded by using multifrequency will pay off. It did so up in AK, the first time I went up in 2000. ..Willy.

Mike Hillis said:
If it wasn't a threshold hum then it may have been the result of a continuously sampled audio. Peak Sampled audio cuts off the ends of the signal and passes through the peak. You just hear the beep. Kind of looking at a normal histogram with both ends cut off. A continuously sampled audio would let you hear the leading edges, the peak, and the trailing edge of the audio. Much like a VCO audio with the addition of tone id.

Can the V3 perform that type of audio id? I believe my V3i does this same type of audio sampling in the prospecting program as I can hear the same ramp up ramp down on target signals.

There is so much to learn about the capabilities of the V3i that it might be years more before we learn all that it be made to do.

HH
Mike.

edited for spelling :wacko:

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>><<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<​

Willy...

The answer to your question regarding whether the White's Spectra can replicate the vaunted Garrett 'audio roll'.......

YES it can, in its own particular style of audio.

It's simply achieved by using MIXED MODE audio...( In this situation, I switch the VCO off, and set the All Metal sensitivity LOWER than the DISC sens.)

I employed this a lot when the DFX was my main unit.

What you then had, was an ALL METAL audio output, which gave a LOW tone on rejected targets [size=x-large]OR any[/size] targets that were too weak to climb above the discriminating threshold (Which could be a 'good' target).

On any ACCEPTED target that exceded the DISC CHANNEL's threshold, always produced a low tone 'lead-in' to the following high tone, then back into low as that ACCEPTED target was passed over.

In principle, that is comparable to that of the AT PRO. ( i.e. low tone>high tone>low tone.)

But I do not claim that the Whites 'sound' is esthetically comparable ,audio-wise, to the AT PRO.

I've always admired the Garrett 'Bell-tone' audio system

The DFX methodology for Mixed Audio, was, two tones. The higher tone was twice (? or an octave above) the lower tone.)

The actual tonal pitch involved, was based on your choice for the normal Disc audio mode.

If you didn't switch VCO off, then the resulting audio was akin to a poking a pig up the RS with a stick.

It was / is my favourite mode,(Especially on the DFX).

Being overprotective of the V3 makes me wonder why it needs such defense. Can't even mention another detector here is a little much I think.

Seems to me you asked a good question in a good way... but what do I know? I think the V3 can stand in its on and users can explain its use, some better than others. I have a V3, I need to upgrade. It is my first White's machine and learning it has been difficult for me but I ain't givving up, it will click for me if I keep at it. One thing that has given me a problem is tone ID. I am going to try to set up a 3 or 4 tone scheme this weekend, I think that will help me a lot. There is a lot to learn on the V3 but that gives a lot of control to the user... once you figure out what everything does.
Bringing up the term "tone roll" is good because different companies use different terms for the same function. That is another thing that threw me a curveball on the V3. Just understanding the terms helps a lot but if you cannot bring up the terms that another manufacturer uses it makes it all that much harder.. for me anyway. There is another detector in a blue housing that uses an add on 180 meter that has an audio sort of like that "tone roll" esp in AM mode.
I don't want to threaten the V3 so I wont name it...

Don't get me wrong... I like the V3 and am sure I will like the V3i more and will learn to love it once I get more used to it. Sometimes I get frustrated with it because there is so much I don't understand about it and a lot of it is because of terminology and because it is my first White's... but us it is one sexy machine! I like high tech and I like simple audio... I like detectors and have only used a couple I didn't care for. I am interested in adding a waterproof machine though... but it wont replace any other machine.

I hope you and I learn all we can about this complex machine... and I mean that in a good way, complex is really good once you learn to use it... because obviously you can do more with more.

J

Rob might have gone a little too overboard on the Garrett Pro audio function, and it is OK to mention Explorer and other brands, I will talk to him about loosening his belt a little. The Tone roll is nothing I would want to listen to on my V even if it could be emulated.

I watched the video on the tone roll and it appears to be the most annoying doorbell I have ever heard.

But to be fair some people are hard of hearing and need that.

So props to Garret for making the ace 250 water proof.:thumbup:

The v3i can emulate everything but the doorbell chime. You can use the prospecting or detect in pinpoint or high pro mixed. Anyone of them can do it.

Detector comparison is a valuable tool for many of us detectorist that own multi line brands. Try to discern what setting in what ground and proper target id is hard enough, a simple comp can go a long way to shorten endless forum searches . No brand bashing please.

I agree 100% Calibil, but this is the V3/i forum dedicated to the V3/i. Comparisons are allowed on the Feedback and Views forums.

Hey Larry.. why don't they have a dedicated comparison/field test forum? Seems kinda stupid not to 'cause people are always making comparisons. Feedback and Views forum.. c'mon, that's a bit of a crock. ..Willy.

Yup, would probably turn into a free-for-all.. or maybe not. I know of another site that successfully incorporates one. The thing is, people are constantly getting slapped down for posting comparisons or asking for them, just saying "No you can't.. BAD poster, BAD!" won't work and isn't working. ..Willy.