Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Now I know why I loved hunting with the CTX.

Dan(NM)

I sold my CTX last year simply because I was using the Nox 800 down at the lake for over a year. We recently moved from my honey hole lake site and while there is still water to hunt, river hunting isn't as productive as the lake was. I'm migrating back to old coin shooting and decided to get back in the saddle with a CTX. I picked up a sweet deal, a machine with warranty and the 17" coil to boot. I've reloaded my old hunting programs back into the machine and had a couple of hours to spare today, so I went out to get reacquainted with my old friend :) There's something about the CTX that instantly instills confidence as soon as the coil hits the ground.
The Nox is a great machine and has found me some outstanding keepers over the last 3 years and I'll really like it, but, there's nothing like a properly tuned CTX for dirt hunting deep coins. I have a 6 day road trip planned this month and will be taking the Nox, CTX and a chopped EX2 to my hometown to plunder the parks and fairgrounds again. I was there last year and found 19 silver coins and 56 wheats in 3 days of hunting using the CTX and Nox.

What made me decide to take the plunge again was rewatching Kevin's video's (IDXmonster) on YT(MonsterTube) If you own a CTX, his video's are by far, the most education and entertaining I've watched when it comes to the CTX. Not only that Kevin, is a hoot to watch and a guy I'd love to hunt with.

Attachments

• Parktotals.jpg
    Parktotals.jpg
    219.3 KB · Views: 202
Last edited:
I agree 100 percent.

Ctx and the 17" coil is my go to coin hunting machine.

I have an etrac and 800. They are both backup to the ctx.

Agree 100% as well. My new Nox has found silver, but it misses it too. CTX is my go to machine, but can't let dust settle on the etrac.
I also have to take the Etrac out once in a while.

I just like running combined ferrous as a main search program then using the user button to switch to 50 tone combined to check the target.

I ment 50 tone conductive.

By running ferrous it stops about 90 percent of the falsing. When you get a high tone you switch over to 50 tone conductive to check the signal.

I texted kevin to come on and say something.

I can elaborate more after work.

I appreciate your kind words Dan. It is SO hard to go film anything that is even remotely useful to someone else that its insane. Anyone can go “make a video”. Did it do anything to advance anyone else? Did you SHOW it happening? It is HARD to catch stuff live. And because I hunt ONLY public ground, not only is it difficult to even find a target to begin with, but then the general public running around doing whatever….it can be aggravating. But I do it anyway because I’m driven to. I’m glad they at least make you laugh once in awhile!😃
I would completely agree about hunting in Ferrous/Coin Combined for MOST places I hunt. Where I would NOT is a place that has a lot of conductive trash or if the ground is just terrible. It actually says as much in the manual but I have also seen it not work so well first hand in terrible ground. F/C Combined DOES cut down a lot on falsing, almost to the point where it’s all but gone. Running Sensitivity at the proper level for the site is of course critical as well to minimize false hits as well.

I've never tried that--- usually use AndyS with 50 tone conductive. Do you think that finds you more targets?
If I was running descrim, I would have missed coins. I have dug coins with ferrous numbers in the 30's. In my area i cannot get away from the iron, its by BFF. By running ferrous i can run wide open and not go crazy listining to all the falsing that you get with conductive. I dont have a lot of non ferrous trash in my area. The places seem to be a sheet of iron junk. Kevin has the setup on his youtube channel. If you want my exact setup let me know.

If you get a good coin signal in ferrous then push the user button and switch to 50 tone conductive. I can easly tell clad from silver by listening to the tone change and what the conductive number does.

I love mine. The Ctx is an amazing machine

Don't want to start a war, but I was a bit unhappy with the ctx-- then I bought a nox. Good golly it made me appreciate the ctx/etrac.

Thanks for the tips-- I do run TTF with the etrac-- never done it with the ctx. I'll give it a try tomorrow at an old farmstead.

I appreciate your kind words Dan. It is SO hard to go film anything that is even remotely useful to someone else that its insane. Anyone can go “make a video”. Did it do anything to advance anyone else? Did you SHOW it happening? It is HARD to catch stuff live. And because I hunt ONLY public ground, not only is it difficult to even find a target to begin with, but then the general public running around doing whatever….it can be aggravating. But I do it anyway because I’m driven to. I’m glad they at least make you laugh once in awhile!😃
I would completely agree about hunting in Ferrous/Coin Combined for MOST places I hunt. Where I would NOT is a place that has a lot of conductive trash or if the ground is just terrible. It actually says as much in the manual but I have also seen it not work so well first hand in terrible ground. F/C Combined DOES cut down a lot on falsing, almost to the point where it’s all but gone. Running Sensitivity at the proper level for the site is of course critical as well to minimize false hits as well.
IDX Monsters are the very best educational videos on the CTX3030 on youtube. Plus fun to watch. Anytime someone makes something look easy, they are putting a lot of thought, time and effort and love into the project. Keep up the great videos, I am getting my nearly new CTX3030 in a week or so.

IDX Monsters are the very best educational videos on the CTX3030 on youtube. Plus fun to watch. Anytime someone makes something look easy, they are putting a lot of thought, time and effort and love into the project. Keep up the great videos, I am getting my nearly new CTX3030 in a week or so.
I’ve been watching you mister!😃 I, for one, cannot WAIT to see YOUR initial reaction to this machine.

I’ve been watching you mister!😃 I, for one, cannot WAIT to see YOUR initial reaction to this machine.
I love rattlehead's videos also on the CTX3030. I made a lot of beginner mistakes on my method of learning the Nox 800 coming from the AT Pro. Completely different machines in terms of learning curve. You can believe me when I say I WILL start off in the factory modes and put time in my test garden and at my hunting sites. Not even thinking about the mapping features at this point in time. Experienced minelab users told me on the Nox 800 to learn in factory modes and hunt in the factory modes for at least 100 hours. Well they were right and I was wrong. I will keep everyone informed on my progress or lack of progress. And I will of course seek help where and when needed. I also have Andy's book on the CTX 3030 in a few days. I am just glad there still are CTX users who help us newbies to the CTX.

As I have said in various posts, I hunt the area of Atlanta where The Battle of Peachtree Creek was fought. This battle defeated the confederate forced pretty much for good and was the key to the fall of Atlanta wich was a major supplier of half the munitions and supplies for the confederate army at that point in the civil war. Millions of bullets were fired or dropped. They cannot have all been possibly found. But this area has a lot of creeks that flood every two or three years and wash over the areas I hunt with light metal like pop tops, pull tabs, bottle caps, can slaw which we know has a half-life of forever. Running my audio threshold on the 800 in these areas sounds like a machine gun. There has to be a key to unlocking this difficult hunting area. I thought the Nox would be the answer but I really think it was worse than the AT Pro. It is a difficult area for any detector. Plus in the late 70's and 80's the hobby of looking for CW relics took off in Atlanta. I have talked to a few guys who hunted back then and it was the glory days for CW relics in that area. And since then we have had 40-50 years of pop tops, pull tabs, tin cans, bottle caps and screw tabs deposited. One can only imagine the numbers of these pieces of metal junk have been discarded during that time period.

anyway to wrap up I am very please to see people still using and helping others with the CTX3030 like me. The only thing that will cause me to quit this great hobby is not being physically getting out to hunt. And I believe the more active I stay in this hobby the longer I can enjoy it.

It was the same with the AT Pro and the Nox 800. It is like a kid waiting for Christmas. But in our cases when waiting for a new detector it is the UPS driver, not Santa. Maybe I should put out some milk and cookies on the front porch.

The best videos for anyone (like me) learning the CTX3030. We need to see the screens clearly, not filled with reflections or out of focus. We need to hear the tones. We need to see the actual coin and depth. That seems to be very hard for a lot of youtuber detectorists to accomplish. When someone like IDX does all this and makes it look easy, you know he is working very hard on making those quality videos. Please keep on making them for us. Your hard work is appreciated!!!!!!

C016A589-376A-46BE-B465-74783D8632BB.jpeg
Pulltabfelix,
Welcome, I fairly new myself to the CTX. About 3 years now. I’ve owned probably 10 machines since 1975. I quit coin hunting in 1981 and relic hunted till 3 years ago when I got the CTX and met Ironman. He and the CTX changed my hunting. I actually like coin hunting. The first time we really hunted together in a non relic site I dug 13 silver dimes out of one hole. All rosie’s. Next hunt A walker and 2 merc’s out of one hole. This machine is a silver machine. In the last month in trashy heavily hunted coin sites I found these . 1873 seated and a 1915 barber.
IDX MONSTER has great videos. Can you give me rattleheads YouTube name?

Happy Hunting
Keith

Attachments

• 189698A0-55A5-4E3C-B1EB-BA9107043897.jpeg
    189698A0-55A5-4E3C-B1EB-BA9107043897.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 133
View attachment 20947Pulltabfelix,
Welcome, I fairly new myself to the CTX. About 3 years now. I’ve owned probably 10 machines since 1975. I quit coin hunting in 1981 and relic hunted till 3 years ago when I got the CTX and met Ironman. He and the CTX changed my hunting. I actually like coin hunting. The first time we really hunted together in a non relic site I dug 13 silver dimes out of one hole. All rosie’s. Next hunt A walker and 2 merc’s out of one hole. This machine is a silver machine. In the last month in trashy heavily hunted coin sites I found these . 1873 seated and a 1915 barber.
IDX MONSTER has great videos. Can you give me rattleheads YouTube name?

Happy Hunting
Keith