Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Now more Qs than As, EMI Hell Zone

Ronstar

Finally decided if Im gonna get out then go early before the heat wave hits. So up to the battle zone at 7am and this time with the 6” in the holster.

Started a good slow methodical grid search in an area that the Legend had already produced a Barber Half, Quarter, a couple Mercs, a couple V nickels, IH pennies, etc. Im right on the edge where the EMI starts getting mildly chatty, running in Park, F, 4khz, Rec at 5, 6 tones, Thresh at 5, and Sens at 28. Everything else at Default. I set up Field in the same manner so that the comparison is equal. Lets see what we learn!
In Park I get a good 44-45 hit deep, this should be a penny. Nope. A piece of canslaw at around 5” deep. Ok, fill in the plug and keep going. Another 10-15 feet and solid 45, dig and canslaw yet again. ????
EMI now getting pretty chatty so switch to Field and dead silent, lets see what we get. First good signal is a solid, and I mean solid 51 from four directions. Quarter in my mind, nope. One inch rusted bolt with nut attached at 6”. Ok, breath and assess situation. Check Park but not now as chatty but still annoying. Continue. Next solid hit is 52, quarter or rusty bolt? C’mon quarter. Nope. Small stove bolt. Grrrrrrr.
I keep going and shortly get a locked on 46 so has to be a dime, this time tho I switched back to Park and solid 35 and not as deep. Recheck Field and deep 46. Forces me to recover and guess what? Yup, pull ring style pull tab with No beavertail attached.
I continues this with very similar results and VDIs run significantly higher in Field than Park. Is this a coil thing? 11” coil didnt seem as scatter brained…….
I did get two 39-40 signals in Field that ended up zincolns at 5” and those number I usually see with aluminum pop tops. Check in Park and I get 43-44 (I put them back in the hole just to see). Other than that I did manage to dig two more cannon fuses and one old rifle casing. Pouch had about two hand fulls of pop tops, square nails, steel nails, and various other foils.
I can not determine if this anomaly in readings is EMI caused, coil caused, operator errors (easy on me guys) or detector “programs”. Either way jkline was swinging his eTrac his significant better other was using his Legend. They did get a small amount of clad and one older wheat penny so thinking this area is pretty cleaned.
Only other variable is the ground is brick hard and bone dry as the grounds crew apparently are not watering and we are used to much damper soils.

Nice wright up. Enjoying the storyline.
Could someone please explain the A-z setting.
I have just a few hours on so far.
Though I've had the legend for months.
Getting back on my feet is really being a Pain this time.
I'd like to armed in knowledge when I finally really get out.
And yes. I've read the latest manual.
And it's just not clicking for me.
Maybe my brains getting soft. 🤓

Wow Ron you have some strange things going on with your Legend. I've hunted under powerlines. I've hunted in the middle of a city and I've hunted right next to a power generator. I havent experienced any issues like your dealing with. What version of software are you running? Maybe an update didnt work properly.

Anyone. A-h setting ???
Are you asking about the A, G, and F discrimination patterns? If so, A is all metal mode and no targets are discriminated out. G discriminates out the first couple of low numbers which supposedly eliminates ground noise. F discriminates out all ferrous numbers/targets 1 - 11. Careful with that one because gold wedding bands read 10 on the Legend. Mine does anyway.

Are you asking about the A, G, and F discrimination patterns? If so, A is all metal mode and no targets are discriminated out. G discriminates out the first couple of low numbers which supposedly eliminates ground noise. F discriminates out all ferrous numbers/targets 1 - 11. Careful with that one because gold wedding bands read 10 on the Legend. Mine does anyway.
Thank You. Eggzakly what I needed.
As I've been trying to learn it I just didn't get what they were doing.
Gonna have to put my bifocals on to see those little things better. 🤓

PDH…..
Im running 1.11 and as far as I know its complete. I run F because there are a lot of iron trash pieces out there. The original Administration Building burnt to the ground around 1909 and could this area have been the original debris pile? (fire not here but where they put the debris). When in the HZ I eliminate every thing that could cause a burp, snort, or a hiccup as the damn EMI can get intense so why add to it… Why Field is way more quiet than Park in 4khz is above my paygrade but other than about a five foot wide area its deadly silent. I now believe the 11” DD is the better tool in there compared to the 6”.
Also I believe originally 1-11 was iron but that YouTube guy showed 11 would eliminate small gold chains etc. I show 11 in F mode but 99% of the time its tinfoil. My two mens 14k rings Ive dug were just off 25, or nickel numbers.

PDH…..
Im running 1.11 and as far as I know its complete. I run F because there are a lot of iron trash pieces out there. The original Administration Building burnt to the ground around 1909 and could this area have been the original debris pile? (fire not here but where they put the debris). When in the HZ I eliminate every thing that could cause a burp, snort, or a hiccup as the damn EMI can get intense so why add to it… Why Field is way more quiet than Park in 4khz is above my paygrade but other than about a five foot wide area its deadly silent. I now believe the 11” DD is the better tool in there compared to the 6”.
Also I believe originally 1-11 was iron but that YouTube guy showed 11 would eliminate small gold chains etc. I show 11 in F mode but 99% of the time its tinfoil. My two mens 14k rings Ive dug were just off 25, or nickel numbers.
I lowered mine to 8. I'll dig a little more trash to find gold. I've never found a small chain. Yet.
Hopefully the Legend will get me thar.

I think you have some Special Weird EMI around that area. Very curious.

I wish he would try that AM radio trick I posted a while back. You can actually locate it with that.
Here's a short video showing noise found with an AM radio. Shows why most detectors don't work well in the house. I've found led power sources and dimmer switches the most troublesome.
Wondering if there's led lighting around. Still make noise even when off.
I showed a $30 Sony AM/FM radio on Amazon that works great for that.
The longer the body of the radio. Typically the longer the ferrite antenna.
Looking down the length of the antenna when it's pointing at the noise it nulls the noise. Antenna sideways to the noise is the loudest. Giving a general direction.
I have numerous ham radios and with this technique I've pretty much made my house quiet.

Nice wright up. Enjoying the storyline.
Could someone please explain the A-z setting.
I have just a few hours on so far.
Though I've had the legend for months.
Getting back on my feet is really being a Pain this time.
I'd like to armed in knowledge when I finally really get out.
And yes. I've read the latest manual.
And it's just not clicking for me.
Maybe my brains getting soft. 🤓
I'm right there with you!

PDH…..
I buried an thin white gold 14K diamond ring (with my wife's permission of course from a previous marriage) that registers as an 11.

From using a few tips and gadgets best we can get is pointing towards the big Administration Building.

From using a few tips and gadgets best we can get is pointing towards the big Administration Building.
Possibly a high power external wifi.
A site next to my work. Few of my detectors will run.
The main building has external wifi and cell extenders. About a 150' away.
Non of my Minelabs will run there.
Only the Simplex turned down and my Tesoros so far. Found my first large cent there with the Tejon.
Or was it the Simplex ?
Honestly don't remember.
Tried at least five machines that day.
Have yet to try the Legend and Manticore.

I think it is from the underground room where they are doing the secret gooberment funded research.