Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Nox 600 & 800 ground balance

I think that this is one of those depends on your ground questions. I don't GB and leave it at zero. I'm digging very deep coins.

IMHO an accurate GB provides a benchmark for both your target ID readings an depth meter.
cjc

I run on multi frequency and as suggested by Minelab, I don't GB. I tried it in the beginning of course. There really ain't a plus that I can see. JM2

I use default GB .... a beach is tricky if u water hunt. Fluffy sand I don’t get a lot mineral noise... hard pan I do. Wet sand here contains layers of black sand and most of the time the dry sand will GB at default 0 any way. Soooo GB is kind of site dependent.

I detected today and went back and forth between default (0) and manual ground balancing. My detecting mode was Park2--multi-freq--50 tones--reactivity 5--and iron bias 3.

I consider the ground I was detecting in to be moderately mineralized. All of the items I detected were 4"-6" deep (four spencer brass shell casings, a pulled spencer, chewed bullet, and miscellaneous small pieces of melted lead.

When I ground balanced, the numbers ranged anywhere from 25 to 35 or so, which I would think would be a big jump from the default of "0".

I don't yet have enough hours on this machine to say anything about it with a high degree of certainty, but some things puzzled me a bit:

I got iron falsing on targets, and the TID numbers ran as high as the low 20's, though they were quite jumpy.

In the midst of the iron falsing, the non-ferrous targets I dug rang up targets that TID'd 8-9 (small camp lead); 12-13 ( Spencer Brass) and 18-19 (Spencer Bullet).

You see the problem here: all of these targets had a TID that was in the TID range of the iron targets. (which is why I bumped the iron bias up a bit)

Fortunately, a press of the all metal button clarified things. In all metal, there was no falsing on non-ferrous targets--they all rang in rock solid.

I am a bit timid about running the machine in auto-ground balance. I don't know how to explain it, but when I'm in auto, the machine seems to be a bit more "quirky."

Don't know if that makes any sense or not, but there it is.

Greg
Could you clarify a bit more on the comment tid of iron, shouldn't iron technically have a tid negative #
I agree with the comment that the machine seems to heat up or get chatty when you go above default gb settings. By the way it is useful in some environments but not most.
Jeff

Find a deep target and let us know what difference you see if you play with GB manual numbers and/or modes.
Lots of reports saying “I do this or that and find things” but no comparison reports on test targets.
And beaches and dirt differ so results may vary, or not?

In my testing, I see a pretty significant improvement over targets in my test garden by ground balancing vs leaving it at 0. The GB number jumps up into the 40s to 60s most of the time around here. I have experimented using the auto tracking feature but am unsold on it as of yet. I am always afraid of it tracking out those deeper hits...I have noticed several times while using it in the wild that I will get a good signal the first couple sweeps across a target and then it just disappears or degrades with more sweeps across it. THUS FAR those have all just been pieces of iron...I have dug them just to be certain that it wasn't tracking out a good deep non ferrous target.

I see and advantage to use manual GB .... or in some cases ever tracking for dirt hunting. BUT.... on a beach each area differs...... dry sand a lot of time will 0 GB anyway, wet may work....... but in most cases you will GB out small gold in the wet and diffidently in the water. Running 0.... you get chatter the closer you are to the hard pan ...... and it gets quieter in the thicker fluffer sand that been pushed in. Its good information. Those numbers on iron can be high..... just because of the wrap around high tones iron gives off if you are running high sensitivity..... hot rocks will do the same.

I use a threshold, and notice multiple nulls as I sweep the coil,
Are these “iron” nulls like the excal puts out?

The perplexing part is, when I switch to all metal in Park2 to check a off target— meaning one that shows good numbers but I suspect iron falsing, switching to all metal eliminates the falsing.

It’s almost as if the machine does a better job discriminating in all metal than in, well, discriminate.