Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Nox 800 Mods

Now that the machine has been around a while, what modifications are recommended for this machine? Are there any that are considered “must do”? I have read a little about problems with the cam locks. Is there a fix for that yet? I have also read about people changing out the stock shaft a lot. Is there a style or brand that is preferred? What are the advantages to a replacement shaft assembly? I am still on the sidelines as far as buying one but I am trying to do my research and get all the info up front. Thanks in advance for all replies.

Personally, I am happy with mine the way it is, but would have preferred a shaft like the one for the XTerra series of detectors.
Only issue I really had was the coil flopping flat every time I set the detector down to dig, but I made a small bracket to hold it in place without having tthe overtighten the bolt and risk breaking the coil ears.
Many others have changed out the shaft, but so far I just don’t see the need for it myself.
I would like to get a cover for the control module at some point, but that is about it.

Are there any that are considered “must do”?

The detector shaft is junk, especially for water hunting. I highly recommend a cover for the control head or I also added another layer of clear film to the whole front. You will be on/off the buttons on this machine A LOT. they need extra protection.
The coil is an accident waiting to happen, already broke one. No doubt in my mind I will break another. So [this week] I am actually permanently epoxying a coil support to the coil. [found online] Also adding epoxied side plates to all of that. It will never break AGAIN!
The detector arm cuff is junk. I added a Sovereign style cuff to my straight rod.
OH, don't rinse it off in shower. Was rinsing mine in a beach shower and Minelab got that back too as water got into the control head.
Other than that it's a great machine!

The detector shaft is junk, especially for water hunting. I highly recommend a cover for the control head or I also added another layer of clear film to the whole front. You will be on/off the buttons on this machine A LOT. they need extra protection.
The coil is an accident waiting to happen, already broke one. No doubt in my mind I will break another. So [this week] I am actually permanently epoxying a coil support to the coil. [found online] Also adding epoxied side plates to all of that. It will never break AGAIN!
The detector arm cuff is junk. I added a Sovereign style cuff to my straight rod.
OH, don't rinse it off in shower. Was rinsing mine in a beach shower and Minelab that back too as water got into the control head.

Where did you purchase the Epoxy side plates?

carbon shaft with counter weight. Needed more so made a duct tape bottle holder to balance it right for me.
thin stick on cover to protect control head buttons
red soft silicone washers to prevent squeaks from the coil bracket swiveling. Squeaks mean friction. Had to modify the shape some.
drilled holes into the coil cover to help drain sand

I use milliput epoxy putty the red pack one on my Vibra probe to stop the tip wearing out, it has been on for over 6 months with no problems, it was about £4-00 for a 114gm pack which should last a long time.

It seems funny to me that Minelab brags about how light the Equinox is and then people spend more money to add additional weight to it to make it balance better and less nose heavy. My MXT is heavier to begin with but balances very nicely because the box acts as a built in counterweight. And yes, I do have a carbon fiber shaft and counterweight from Steve G. on my Equinox.

One of my biggest gripes with the Equinox is the lack of coil choices for it. If they came out with a smaller mid size coil there would probably be no need for a counterweight.

My main reason for changing the shafts was for the counterweight to offsets the weight of the coil for Ergonomics for my wrist and arm. I’m pushing 72 and the it really dose help.
the only one that you can get with the counterweight is Steve’s .
i have added the ear supports and the bushing spacers to help prevent ear breakage.
Donut/Doug

I remember my Whites Xlt it was heavier than the Equinox , but yet felt really good in the hand and on the arm. My stock Equinox is fine with me. Being balanced does make a difference.

Just about everything I have, I've modified to some degree and my EQX is no different.
I have a full detector rod by Steve...to include counterweight.
installedfull.jpg

A Herke Arm Cuff
Herke Arm Cuff.jpeg

a Yerdigginit coil ear reinforcement
s-l64.jpg

A control box cover with the back cut out to expose the speaker vents...which prevents overheating in the hot Florida sun.

Hey ColonelDan, Hows does that feel on the swing ? Just curious , as I would like to get the nox off the ground a little more . When I set it down to dig a target it tends to roll sideways. Is the rod collapsible ? Is it carbon fiber ?

Hey ColonelDan, Hows does that feel on the swing ? Just curious , as I would like to get the nox off the ground a little more . When I set it down to dig a target it tends to roll sideways. Is the rod collapsible ? Is it carbon fiber ?

The perceived weight is lessened considerably thanks to the counterweight even if you don't use a harness But I do use a ProSwing 45 harness which allows me to let go of the EQX without laying it down on the ground and inspect my finds. You'll be very surprised with the ease of the swing adn how very balanced it is.

When I do sit it down, the contact points of the coil and the Herke arm cuff prevents it from "rolling sideways" as you describe.

The rod is two piece and it does adjust to any length you want and need. You can "personalize" the fit to your desired length and it remains solid.

Yes, it is top grade carbon fiber. The fit and finish are peerless....the best I've ever seen and I've been metal detecting since 1970.

Switched mine to an "S" rod. Made a counter weight system for it but don't use it because the "S" rod made mine swing much better IMO. Added a Fisher arm Cuff with an Arm Cuff Muff. Cool in the summer, warm in the winter.

Stock shaft stinks replaced, arm cuff replaced with a metal one and new pad and strap coil ears are fragile bought a coil ear reinforcement ears also.
Mark
1E985BB0-A068-45DA-B099-01F43A64A2DE.jpeg
5DDFB449-025C-43DA-9B50-1201BE9B3EE4.jpeg
FA512DDD-C083-4305-8278-FACCD2B86D43.jpeg

OH, don't rinse it off in shower. Was rinsing mine in a beach shower and Minelab got that back too as water got into the control head.
Funny you are so down on the machine. I have had mine since they came out and have ZERO issue with it. No broken parts, no worn out shafts, no broken coil ears, etc., and I have hunted about 4-6 hours a day 5-7 days a week here in Houston no problems. I dont bay it and it is kept in the garage, not with air conditioning either. Hummmm. .