Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Nox beach mode question

Hi all, considering purchasing a nox. I primarily wade salt water beaches. My question is are the 600 and 800 beach modes identical, or does the 800 in beach mode multi include the 20/40 frequencies, whereas the 600 only the 5/10/15? I am leaning toward the 600, and with the money saved, buying waterproof headphones. Also would the 600 be just as good for fresh water wading as the 800? Would greatly appreciate any and all feedback. George

The 600 and 800 work identically in beach mode. They both use the 5 freq. Only the 800 can use the 20KHz and 40KHz freq. individually.
If you are looking for small gold, you may want that 40KHz feature. The $64,000 question is, is the 800 more sensitive to small gold using only the 40Khz freq. as opposed to all 5 freq. at once.

Liberator said:
My understanding is neither machine uses five frequencies at once.

Read: https://www.minelab.com/usa/knowledge-base/key-technologies#321586

Both machines uses five frequencies in multi mode, the 600 can only use the three frequencies singularly while the 800 can us five frequencies singularly .

filternozzle said:

From Treasure talk #2

“How many simultaneous frequencies?” you may ask, wondering if this is a critical parameter. Minelab has been carrying out detailed investigations into this in recent years. Just as you can colour in a map with many colours, the minimum number to differentiate between adjacent countries is only 4 – a tough problem for mathematicians to prove, over many years. Similar to the map problem, it’s perhaps not the maximum number of frequencies needed to achieve an optimum result, but the minimum number that is more interesting. When it comes to frequencies in a detector, to cover all target types, how the frequencies are combined AND processed is now more important, with the latest detectors, than how many frequencies, for achieving even better results.

Efficient new technology = lower power = lighter weight = higher performance.

After reading this do you still think it's using all 5 at once?

Jackpine Savage said:

From Treasure talk #2

“How many simultaneous frequencies?” you may ask, wondering if this is a critical parameter. Minelab has been carrying out detailed investigations into this in recent years. Just as you can colour in a map with many colours, the minimum number to differentiate between adjacent countries is only 4 – a tough problem for mathematicians to prove, over many years. Similar to the map problem, it’s perhaps not the maximum number of frequencies needed to achieve an optimum result, but the minimum number that is more interesting. When it comes to frequencies in a detector, to cover all target types, how the frequencies are combined AND processed is now more important, with the latest detectors, than how many frequencies, for achieving even better results.

Efficient new technology = lower power = lighter weight = higher performance.

Read: Note that EQUINOX Series detectors also feature Multi-IQ technology which allows you to operate all available single frequencies plus more, simultaneously.

A mystery wrapped in an enigma. Minelab has gone out of their way for decades to avoid any clear explanation of their multi frequency machines actual transmitted frequencies (not counting harmonics) and even more how many frequencies are recieved and analyzed. They have further confused the issue by counting the relatively tiny frequency shifts available by the noise cancelling features to the mix.

Expect to be debating this topic fo at least 10 years.

filternozzle said:

Read: Note that EQUINOX Series detectors also feature Multi-IQ technology which allows you to operate all available single frequencies plus more, simultaneously.

Notice that NOWHERE does Minelab actually state that all the frequencies are ever in use at the same time. They show pictures with a caveat that is representative and not real. They dance around the question, just like they always have. Just like FBS using "28 frequencies" when its been proven it uses 2.

Don't take my posts about # of freqs used as an attack on minelab. I don't care how many frequencies are or are not used, all I care about are results. For the last 10 years, Minelab's results have more than proven themselves, regardless of what marketing says is happening. But I do always strive for the best understanding possible for the detectors I use.

Jason in Enid said:

Notice that NOWHERE does Minelab actually state that all the frequencies are ever in use at the same time. They show pictures with a caveat that is representative and not real. They dance around the question, just like they always have. Just like FBS using "28 frequencies" when its been proven it uses 2.

Don't take my posts about # of freqs used as an attack on minelab. I don't care how many frequencies are or are not used, all I care about are results. For the last 10 years, Minelab's results have more than proven themselves, regardless of what marketing says is happening. But I do always strive for the best understanding possible for the detectors I use.

which allows you to operate all available single frequencies plus more, simultaneously.

Hi all, i guess I got an answer to my question. Or did I. To quote an old phrase. "Only the shadow knows"...

Why is there still this debate going in circles and all the fluff about Minelab not talking straight about the Nox and operation. I've read all the posts since the beginning and feel this time they spell it out and even illustrate it nicely.

But for me, even if they didn't, the proof is in the pudding, Minelab rules the salt beaches and have since BBS and the sovereigns.

I wish someone else could do what they do but so far it's not even close, that is the big mystery to me?

Hope this clarifies the question, both 600 and 800 work the same in multi IQ mode.

Happy hunting

lytle78 said:
A mystery wrapped in an enigma. Minelab has gone out of their way for decades to avoid any clear explanation of their multi frequency machines actual transmitted frequencies (not counting harmonics) and even more how many frequencies are recieved and analyzed. They have further confused the issue by counting the relatively tiny frequency shifts available by the noise cancelling features to the mix.

Expect to be debating this topic fo at least 10 years.

+1

Steve

Jason in Enid said:

+1

Steve

geo0410 said:
Hi all, i guess I got an answer to my question. Or did I. To quote an old phrase. "Only the shadow knows"...

Geo --

Here is a straight answer. Based on EVERYTHING I understand Minelab to have said, the bottom line is this: HOWEVER the multi-frequency works, WHATEVER number of frequencies are transmitted simultaneously, the Multi mode on the 600 and 800 work identically. That's my understanding, and I have read everything they've put out on the Equinox, multiple times. IF one of the modes in the 800, when run in "Multi," is using 20 kHz, or 40 kHz, or both, then the Multi mode in the 600 is doing the SAME thing. The DIFFERENCE is that you can't choose to run SINGLE frequency 20 kHz or 40 kHz, on the 600. Only on the 800.

So, bottom line -- if you get the 600, you won't be "crippled" in any way, in the salt water, OR in the fresh water.

(I will note that occasionally there's an argument made that if you are a dry-sand hunter, or fresh-water hunter, and you are specifically targeting tiny "micro" jewelry, that there may be some advantage to running single frequency 20 kHz or 40 kHz. HOWEVER, from all reports I've seen from gold nugget hunters, the assumption that either of those two single frequencies is more sensitive to small gold than the multifrequency option is a very debatable assumption...with additional evidence that it may be a shaky assumption coming from the fact that at the very last minute before the Equinox release for sale, Minelab -- based on feedback from field testers -- included the multifrequency option as a choice when in Prospecting Mode on the 800...)

Steve

Does anyone question why they said it the way they did, "which allows you to operate all available single frequencies plus more, simultaneously". What does "all available single frequencies" mean? On the 800 you have 5 single frequencies available, on the 600 you have 3 available, so literally taken then the 600 only runs 3 available single frequencies simultaneously. Not saying the 600 does not use all 5 frequencies in multi mode just wondering why they said it this way.

ML has a way of confusing freqs.....and harmonics.. and letting us draw our own conclusions... which in many cases are wrong. All the modes appear to be weighted differently..... which means they use different freq that work in those modes for the best results. IF they could only get 3 of those freqs to work in SALT water then thats what is used IMO. Also.... i cant see 20 or 40 working near the salt water in any combo...... so do both machines use the same freqs in salt water .... yes... but would they necessarily use the 20 and 40... i say no..... beach modes are LOW or VERY low weighted freqs.... lower than ANY of the other modes. So if they just used 2 of those freqs ...... yet both the 600 and 800 have them available...... are they not in fact using the same freqs? Muddy water to me.

Wow, lotta worms in that can I opened. Greatly appreciate all the feedback. Nice summary there Steve. I've come to the conclusion that for my type of hunting the 600 would be fine..Now for another can of worms. Order it now, or wait 3/4 more months to be sure all the bugs are out??? George