Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Nox beach mode question

The $64,000 question is, is the 800 more sensitive to small gold using only the 40Khz freq. as opposed to all 5 freq. at once

My experience says yes and by a pretty good pace. Multi-IQ may be different, but I can say without a doubt single frequency 15 kHz blows the pants off multi-frequency/Best Data on the DFX for gold.

Jason in Enid said:
After reading this do you still think it's using all 5 at once?

Read: Note that EQUINOX Series detectors also feature Multi-IQ technology which allows you to operate all available single frequencies plus more, simultaneously.

Notice that NOWHERE does Minelab actually state that all the frequencies are ever in use at the same time. They show pictures with a caveat that is representative and not real. They dance around the question, just like they always have. Just like FBS using "28 frequencies" when its been proven it uses 2.

Don't take my posts about # of freqs used as an attack on minelab. I don't care how many frequencies are or are not used, all I care about are results. For the last 10 years, Minelab's results have more than proven themselves, regardless of what marketing says is happening. But I do always strive for the best understanding possible for the detectors I use.
Very well said Jason! Agree 100%

Nice one Jason. Minelab isn’t tho only detector company’s which has often been shy about actually saying how their machines work. Probably Whites back in the DFX/GMT era were the best. The rest have marketing folks writing the advertising copy and probably editing any output form the technical side - so we get ad-speak masquerading as tech data.

It’s all part of the magical/mystical fog created by setting out to find “treasure” - we are a customer base especially vunerable to this sort of thing - hope springs eternal. We pay thousands for boxes full of $200 worth of bits and bobs. Why? - a tax on hope.

I attempted to read the US Patent for the Equinox but you need an electronics and law degree to understand it. This excerpt seems to describe the Equinox being multi frequency in the patent. There is a ton of information in the patent which is interesting to read but hard to figure out what it all means:

DETAILED DESCRIPTION OF THE INVENTION

A multiple frequency digital metal detector of the invention is a metal detector transmitting and receiving one or more signals of different frequencies generated and processed using digital techniques. In one embodiment, the metal detector generates two or more frequencies sufficiently different of each other so that effective ground rejection and target discrimination/identification become possible (multiple frequency metal detector). This is based on the fact that the response of different metallic targets and that of ground change in a different manner with the frequency of the interrogating magnetic field. However, in another embodiment, the metal detector could generate only one signal with a certain frequency (single frequency metal detector). This would correspond to either a metal detector with minimal cost or to a metal detector optimised for maximum sensitivity at that frequency. In the following, unless stated otherwise, the multiple frequency metal detector is described and the single frequency metal detector is considered as a particular case, when the number of transmitted frequencies is one.

Hotrod65 said:
I attempted to read the US Patent for the Equinox but you need an electronics and law degree to understand it. This excerpt seems to describe the Equinox being multi frequency in the patent. There is a ton of information in the patent which is interesting to read but hard to figure out what it all means:

DETAILED DESCRIPTION OF THE INVENTION

A multiple frequency digital metal detector of the invention is a metal detector transmitting and receiving one or more signals of different frequencies generated and processed using digital techniques. In one embodiment, the metal detector generates two or more frequencies sufficiently different of each other so that effective ground rejection and target discrimination/identification become possible (multiple frequency metal detector). This is based on the fact that the response of different metallic targets and that of ground change in a different manner with the frequency of the interrogating magnetic field. However, in another embodiment, the metal detector could generate only one signal with a certain frequency (single frequency metal detector). This would correspond to either a metal detector with minimal cost or to a metal detector optimised for maximum sensitivity at that frequency. In the following, unless stated otherwise, the multiple frequency metal detector is described and the single frequency metal detector is considered as a particular case, when the number of transmitted frequencies is one.

Naw, that makes perfect sense. It says the detector be either single freq or multi freq (using 2 or more freqs). It says that it's multi mode does a cross comparison of the freqs used in order to isolate the target from the ground.

I was referring to the entire patent, check it out it's amazing what they have to cover. I just pulled the only paragraph I understood.

I dont believe we will know about the bugs for many months....... WE the users will have to find them. Right now..... with everyone wanting on a 800 and it taking so long..... id say its a good time to hit a dealer up who has a 600 collecting dust..... for a good deal.

I guess you’re not familiar with the CZ line of detectors ......

( this is a reply to an earlier posting where someone referred to no other detectors running more than one frequency for saltwater use )

Patent applications are written by lawyers - the aim is to include as much as possible while reveling as few actual fact as possible - the patent system is completely broken.

Rick...... it doesnt help when countries like China dont give a hoot about patents and can get a product on the streets faster than the original maker. Reminds me of the military tech manuals...... took 4 pages of mumbo jumbo to say ..... push this button lol.

After giving it a lot of thought, I agree with Jason in Enid. The probability is that each mode is two or more frequencies being run simultaneously but unlikely to be all five.

All any of us really care about it results. If we could science out a detector we'd build our own. The success of any business is marketing and a good product. The At Pro has been pretty much the bread and butter for Garrett for a number of years. They have taken a good product and improved upon it and guys going from the $100 - $200 dollar detectors have had great success with it. I was one of them. I found over $1000 with my ATP in less than 2 yrs.

Minelab has commingled many of the best features of the Etrac and CTX and put them in an affordable detector for many people.The best part is they simplified it so it don't take a rocket scientist to make adjustments. The marketing blitz has been like no other. They even pushed back the release date and when the Equinox was released they trickled them into the marketplace.. That created an even bigger frenzy by customers to get their hands on them. The best part is the Equinox for the most part had lived up to the marketing hype.

It would be nice to read the theory of operation. May even help you run it better. BUT if it preforms
I dont care. NH Beach Metal Detecting got a 600 a week ago. He has access to the best MD's
& years of experience on the sand. He is very impressed by its performance & to my knowledge NOT
on any ones pay roll. Just look at his vids over the past week. Lots of good finds in the wet black stuff.

HH Tom
LFOD !

I wonder if minelab will at some later date sell a key or patch to either unlock the other two frequency's ?
I would assume the 600 has the same circuit as the 800 but the firmware locks out the other two frequency's and extra features.

Minelab priced these detectors right... $600 for a 600 , why would anyone buy an at or any other detector in price range... I honestly cant see a 3030 being almost 2k better..........

Like most people I only care about results and so far the results have been fantastic for me. I went out for a while last night with a guy that had the AT Max and we took turns following each other and on every pass I got a cpl of coins behind him and he got nothing behind me. Does that prove anything no but it sure builds confidence that the Equinox is the best in it's price range. I used my E 600.

The area was pretty well hunted out but that just proved to me the Equinox does a better job on deep targets. My finds behind him were in the 8" deep range.

I love the Equinox and I am down to the E800 and E600 and have sold my other detectors..

I did the same thing at the beach the other day, my son has the 800 and I have an old Whites Eagle SL which has been a very good machine. We both hunted the dry sand as my machine can't handle the wet due to the high mineralization. I noticed he is stopping and digging twice as much as me. So when he got a target I would go over and scan with mine and sure enough only 50% of the time would my machine pick it up. Basically we found that my depth is around 4-6", whereas he was getting a full 12" or more! So he is basically searching another 6" of beach I can't get to.

We swapped detectors for a short time and the biggest plus was the light weight, man that is nice to swing. But I have to say the learning curve for me was steep as I had never used a Minelab before and figuring out what it was telling me was challenging. I did dig a lot of bottle caps and foil whereas my Whites will give a broken tone or a tone only in one direction which tells me it's junk, but the Nox seemed to give me good numbers and tones on the junk targets. The pinpoint seemed pretty good but not as good as my Whites especially on giving me the depth. Not much of an issue in dry sand as so easy to dig a bigger spot but assume it will be a little tougher to find the target in hard soil in a park for example. However his success with the machine is clearly obvious so I will most likely order me one as well.

Hit the horseshoe when you're on an iffy target.. I am very good with the pinpoint but I struggled at 1st. Now I am spot in with it. The equinox does have depth at least 12" on many targets. In time you well learn to recognize those nickel pull tabs.. Even the occasional can at 12" by doing the old raise the coil and if you still get a solid tone it's most likely a can

I learned on the beach with will always dig a lot of bottle caps, tabs and foil if you're looking for that elusive gold ring

My results here in FL the last week.

In the water (wading) - my old CZ6 - 10.5” coil - control box chest mounted (unmodified with waterproof phones so splashproof) - spanks the Nox600 mostly - hits much more solidly and deeper on large targets

Wet and dry sand - Nox finds every bit of aluminum and all steel bottle caps just fine - ID’ing the caps is another matter - hit or miss - tiny jewelry - Nox far better

Same areas, CZ weaker on small targets - CZ hits more solid on medium (dime, penny and up).

Early days - next week I might think differently.

I think the Nox is great value for the money, but I suspect Minelab is going to spend a good part of their profits at making a better successor to the Excalibur and CTX. Meanwhile, First Texas is busy making a better successor to the CZ’s.