Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

NOX LEAKING

Do most Nox 800,s eventually leak ? If so , is there any way to prevent this ? - Mike K.
I'm not going to give you a long answer because there are those here that will say that I am wrong. They will say the broken coil ears and leaking control pods are just a myth.
To get your best answer search " Leaking Minelab Equinox" on YouTube.
You will find a few people that have had multiple units leak.
But the shot answer is, NO. Most Equinox don't leak. Why? Because MOST AREN'T USED UNDER WATER.

But the shot answer is, NO. Most Equinox don't leak. Why? Because MOST AREN'T USED UNDER WATER.

LOL! There may be a bit of truth to that...

To the OP -- sorry to hear about your leaking unit. Many folks who hunt underwater routinely, have had leaking issues. The good news is, Minelab will replace the control pod for you, if it's under warranty...

Sorry to hear it. You are not alonel

Steve

As already mentioned, it depends who you talk to!

According to Debbie at Minelab, less than .01% of all old versions suffered water intrusion.

1 out of every 1000.

According to another professional, (Iffy Signals) , one of his new Manticore's, has already survived a 7 hour, over night stint in a bath tub full of water and survived just fine.

Sounds like the new models will get along with jelly fish!

Last edited:
LOL! There may be a bit of truth to that...

To the OP -- sorry to hear about your leaking unit. Many folks who hunt underwater routinely, have had leaking issues. The good news is, Minelab will replace the control pod for you, if it's under warranty...

Sorry to hear it. You are not alonel

Steve
Steve nice you and jayhop can both give a straight up honest answer.
Forest always has to put a ridiculous spin on answers and never ever admits to what is known facts.
Of course ML the manufacturer is not going to say” yeah of course alot of them leak if you use them underwater”
And then talks about a totally different detector. think people are that naive.
all the comments always have you scratching your head. Just wow.

I had 4 units fail and had to be replaced under warranty. First one had a bad power switch. They sent me a new pod and within a month the battery went bad, it wouldn't charge. 3rd and 4th replacement pods leaked in chest deep water. The last pod I have hasn't leaked. It's now out of warranty, so, it more than likely it will not see the water again. On the bright side, I never had a coil ear break ;)

According to Debbie at Minelab, less than .01% of all old versions suffered water intrusion.

1 out of every 1000.

According to another professional, (Iffy Signals) , one of his new Manticore's, has already survived a 7 hour, over night stint in a bath tub full of water and survived just fine.

This could be a very true statement but not a very accurate answer to the question about the equinox leaking, "less than .01% of all old versions suffered water intrusion".
Again, the reason this could be true is that MOST Equinox are not used under water.
The question should be, What percentage of Equinox used under water leak?
I've used mine in water, and it has been totally under water while I was retrieving the target, but for a very short period of time. This was wading in about waist deep water, and I've only done it about 3 or 4 times.
My original unit is out of warranty now, so i won't use it under water again.
I'm not trying to beat a dead horse, I just feel that people should know what to expect. Minelab isn't, or hasn't yet that I have heard of, going to replace the unit after warranty.
When I sell or give away my 800s, I will advise the new owners not to use them under water.

I agree with you, jayhop. Since we have no idea what percentage of EQXs are used underwater, taking the number of machines which have suffered water intrusion, and then calculating a "failure rate" using "total number of units sold" as your denominator, is kind of a useless calculation...

Steve

With the known amount of units that have leaked, ml changing the housing (and coil ears) on their new detectors (finally) and MANY Nox owners that have stated they won't use their out of warranty noxs underwater pretty much says it all.

This could be a very true statement but not a very accurate answer to the question about the equinox leaking, "less than .01% of all old versions suffered water intrusion".
Again, the reason this could be true is that MOST Equinox are not used under water.
The question should be, What percentage of Equinox used under water leak?
I've used mine in water, and it has been totally under water while I was retrieving the target, but for a very short period of time. This was wading in about waist deep water, and I've only done it about 3 or 4 times.
My original unit is out of warranty now, so i won't use it under water again.
I'm not trying to beat a dead horse, I just feel that people should know what to expect. Minelab isn't, or hasn't yet that I have heard of, going to replace the unit after warranty.
When I sell or give away my 800s, I will advise the new owners not to use them under water.
Exactly. But the one answer was to put a spin on the issue. Something a politician would say lol.
Never has a problem saying derogatory things about the legend though

1 out of every 1000.

How do you tell if your NOX is a new version ?? - mike

To me, here's the question that needed answered ( maybe/hopefully ). Where is the leak coming from. Is water entering the area where the headfone jack is screwed into the detector? I just recently bought a new nox600 about 3-4 months back. I'm guessing its a newer run unit and also purchased a custom set of tony Eisenhower underwater headfones. I will be dunking the unit next hunting season up Lake Erie. I'm thinking a dab of white electrical grease around the base of the headphone jack should give it a very good seal. Tesoro yrs ago used to include this grease/sealant when you bought a water machine from them. I still have some, tho I'm not sure how pliable it is any more.

Cheers, Mark ( ohio )

I have one of the first Equinox 800s with over 1800 hours underwater. I hope I don't jinx myself by saying WITHOUT A LEAK.
I also have an Excalibur Sword, and an 800 with over 8000 hours WITH ONLY ONE LEAK.
My other water detectors have never leaked. - 1280X, Detector Pro, Infinium, ATX, ATPro, Fisher X8, Surfmaster Pro.
I do take care of my detectors, rinse, wipe, dry, silicon the O-rings store them in a cool dry atmosphere. I do not put any type of treatment on the wires.