Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Nox on Silver

dewcon4414 said:
IDX........ i also hunt with a greater intensity with a new machine that i am learning. I had a heck of a foil ball, pull tabs, and tiny bits i most likely wouldnt have wasted my time with just to see what the machine is capable of. Some days im just more ON than others as well. Taking nothing away from the machine shes sure treating me well.

That’s unbelievably true that some days are just more ON than others. It’s an often overlooked factor when deciding where to hunt,what to hunt with,who to hunt with,what to hunt for....the question could be asked,”What’s my mood like?” Am I settled,content,calm,ready to receive those signals? Or am I already flustered,frustrated(a co-worker actually used the conglomerate “flustrated”).....SHOULD I even go? If you’re like me,life doesn’t wait for me to get into a good mood to go detecting,I go when I can! But I’m certainly not always ON,and it can be a huge factor in success or not.

Glad you brought this up. Since copper pennies ring close to dimes even on todays machines, how is it people could cherry silver 20 years ago let alone now?

After 200 hours on the machine I can say for sure yes, the Nox slams deep pennies. I have done well on silver can't say it slams the silver. Just got a used CTX to see how it measures up. My guess is it's not going to do as good in the long run for two reasons. I believe the Nox will do better in iron and will cover allot of ground quicker thus producing more keepers at the end of the day.

Silver_Stallion said:
Glad you brought this up. Since copper pennies ring close to dimes even on todays machines, how is it people could cherry silver 20 years ago let alone now?

Oh young one, so much to learn you have! As much I LOVE my Equinox, it doesn't have the nuances the old analog machines did. My old Garrett MH-7 didnt have the depth or trash abilities close to modern detectors but I could ID silver with over 90% accuracy from the tone alone. Yes, thats right, I could tell you whether a dime was clad or silver from just the sound. Thats is how we used to cherry pick silver from the schools and parks.

IDX, I agree. There are days that I don’t believe and it shows. There days when I am really tired and make the best finds for going slow and hearing each signal better.

Stay positive and figure where the coins or jewerly are that you want then go for it.

Tony

I had a deep nail yesterday that was sounding very nice till I dug it up! but then right next to the nail same hole was a 43 merc! I was hunting the edge of a field under the tree line with my nox.
One of my favorite places to check most people ignore those areas and if its a slight incline even better people always sit under the tree lines.
Try it you may surprise yourself.

Good point Mkus! My buddy found a willow tree shilling on the edge of a field in the woods and that old 1740 half penny my mom found the other day was found right on the edge of a playing field.

Way to go JaWi!

Way to go JaWi!

I could not agree more. Unless you go over the target with your old detector and see first hand if it missed it I feel most of the times other factors were in play.

If in doubt, do some air testing or bury a Mercury dime and try it out. The Nox should hit on silver about the same that it hits on copper. I've found a reasonable amount of silver with the Nox, and it likes it just fine. I know the feeling, though. There's this patch of old playing field where I have found a dozen or more wheat pennies with the Nox but not one silver. I'll have another go at that spot when we get some rain and the ground gets a bit easier to dig--like concrete at present there.

I’ve been using park 2 this past weekend scored 4 silvers 3 barbers and a Rosie 1893 1902 1959 and a 1906 I made sure to GB machine
Makes a big difference for my soil ?? It seems but we had hit this small green with two Deus and a nox600 and I went back and found theseI

I would say the equinox 600/800 finds silver easily. If you are whipping the coil back and forth, you are going to miss targets, You could just be missing the Silver. Suggestion: slow and low works for me. You get a lot more depth if you lower the recovery speed, but you have to go slower with that big 11 inch coil to separate targets. 50 tones helps me, not 5 tones. Anyway that my opinion.