Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Nox's love affair with nails?

Grunter

The Nox sure loves nails. My Etrac does too but as least it has an FE number to give you a little bit of an edge at not digging. Can someone here give me some way of id 'ing nails or recommend some settings to give a user a little bit of heads up about not digging so many. Yesterday I was operating in Park1,1 and getting great numbers only to end up digging nail after nail.

I wouldnt say it "loves" nails, but I do dig more than I did with the CTX. So far I haven't found a way to cut the number down. Every nail I have dug has been a great, often solid, coin response complete with perfect pinpoint.

The problem I have is that all my sites are loaded with iron. I am walking past thousands of iron targets, but if I never dig a good target just because an iron grunt is next to it I likely would never dig another coin.

I'm still playing, as I'm sure everyone else is. Maybe one of us will find the secret that is unique to the EQX for helping ID iron falses.

If it has a love affair with nails, it's absolutely married to aluminum. Going to 5 khz is no help. But then I have all of 2 hours on it so my opinion isn't worth much.

Architex said:
If it has a love affair with nails, it's absolutely married to aluminum. Going to 5 khz is no help. But then I have all of 2 hours on it so my opinion isn't worth much.

But your jokes crack me up

I haven't had any problem with nails. Most often I find a nail along with a good target. I been fooled a cpl of times but I get more fooled with useless tokens or commemorative buttons and medallions that ring in anywhere from 30-38

Are you using a 600 or an 800? I did not understand your Park 1, 1.......

On a 800 in Park 1: Iron Bias is 6 out of 9 and Recovery is 5 out of 8.
On a 600 in Park 1: Iron Bias is 2 out of 3 and Recovery is set at 3 out of 3

Was your detector ground balanced?
Did you noise cancel?
How high was your sensitivity?
If using an 800 did you bump up your recovery or your iron bias?

Have you tried Park 2? On an 800 if you are hunting in a bunch of nails remember Park 2 has an Iron Bias of 0 and a Recovery of 6 so you should bump Iron Bias up until you can kill out the nails.

Don't get fixed on one setting. You need to adjust to your soil and the hunting conditions.

My biggest failing initially with my CTX was not learning what the settings could or could not do for me as conditions changed once I learned on setting does not fit all needs and begun to learn the machine verses the dirt I was playing in, my finds and enjoyment went up. As the Equinox allows the user many options, you will get the most out of the settings if you learn to adjust them to the hunt.

Dropping sensitivity will decrease nail falsing..
If your used to running your FBS Detector in Auto + you wouldn’t hear much falsing.
The Equinox does not have this feature so it’s easy to over run the sensitivity which brings the ground and nails alive.

Checking signals from two directions can eliminate almost all unwanted nail digs..
Use your pinpoint to check the shape and see if you can isolate the target..

Most coins next to iron can be isolated and will give pretty tight coin IDs and tones once isolated.
If the numbers are jumping from from the 20s to mid or high 30s and it’s hard to isolate then is just a nail falsing..

The Equinox has fantastic audio and you will start being able to hear the difference, but you will dig quite a few nails
during the learning process.. At close to 50 hours I’m just now starting to feel like I’m learning the audio which is very descriptive
in 50 Tones..

If you don’t have the patience to learn this, then just dig the high tones that are solid in two different directions, as in at 90 degree angles..
You will cut nail digs by at least 90%..

Learning the audio and behavior of the Nox in iron is worth the effort in my opinion..
The number of coins next to, or with iron found with the Equinox is far greater then I ever found with either the CTX or E-Trac..
I just can’t go back to FBS now.. I’m addicted to the speed!

Bryan

My Nox has a love affair with nickels! Amazing how many coins I'm getting with a high percentage being nickels.

The only time I've dug nails with mine was when I was in a site that wasn't giving up many signals and I started chasing very iffy signals in hopes of uncovering something deep or partially masked. In every case I knew it probably was going to be a nail or some other iron. When you get the Nox over a non ferrous target, the sound is totally different than an iron false.

Bryan V said:
If your used to running your FBS Detector in Auto + you wouldn’t hear much falsing.
The Equinox does not have this feature so it’s easy to over run the sensitivity which brings the ground and nails alive.

Checking signals from two directions can eliminate almost all unwanted nail digs..

Most coins next to iron can be isolated and will give pretty tight coin IDs and tones once isolated.
If the numbers are jumping from from the 20s to mid or high 30s and it’s hard to isolate then is just a nail falsing..

The Equinox has fantastic audio and you will start being able to hear the difference, but you will dig quite a few nails
during the learning process.. At close to 50 hours I’m just now starting to feel like I’m learning the audio which is very descriptive
in 50 Tones..

If you don’t have the patience to learn this, then just dig the high tones that are solid in two different directions, as in at 90 degree angles..

Learning the audio and behavior of the Nox in iron is worth the effort in my opinion..
The number of coins next to, or with iron found with the Equinox is far greater then I ever found with either the CTX or E-Trac..

Bryan

I don’t even have an EQ and the above is correct....last paragraph I dunno,don’t have one. Don’t forget the BASICS of detecting which apply to ALL machines. I dug a super nice squashed aluminum CAN last night because I was in a hurry and didn’t SIZE the target. Duh...

Bryan V said:

in 50 Tones..

Bryan

Exactly! Well written, Bryan.
I believe, from reading various posts, that operator's run the sensitivity too high which causes a lot of iron falsing. I rarely run over 20 on iron infested sites. Lowering sensitivity will not appreciably affect depth. Now, if we can figure out how to eliminate it calling whole aluminum cans as "good" I would be happy. Why do people feel the need to bury aluminum cans instead of throwing them in the trash?

Dean

Unless the cans are really deep raising the coil is usually a give away. Most of the time with my machines a can that is not very deep will keep sounding off with the coil up to a foot or more above the ground. Coins except on the surface usually drop off with the coil around 4 inches of less.

Pinpointing can help size the target. The sweet spot for coins is usually very small compared to a can. Deep ones can fool you no matter what, and I do dig them when I get in a hurry and don't do the two checks mentioned.

I hunt the gold fields, I found that the Nox loves brass, guess it just depends on where you are and what you are looking for.

drop the sensitivity and run iron bias at 2... I hunt thick iron sites too and it works. If I run 23 sens in thick iron it falses a lot but if lowered to 20 it cuts it WAY down..

So far I haven't found that the EQ likes nails any more, or any less, then any other detector, UNTIL I turned the sensitivity up to 25 at a particular site. This particular site has a carpet of nails about 12" deep. As I was trying to conjure up signals, some of the deep nails did mimic deep coins, that lovely modulated audio, TID dancing around in the high 20's to low 30's, and some of them did indeed turn out to be deep coins, but a few were rusted up old square nail blobs. Once I dropped my sensitivity down to around 23 I was good, and still digging deep coins.

My 600 loves nails, very similar in that regard to my old CZ. These nails sound good and give a great number. I’ve dug some coins that only sounded off from one way with it. First trip out I dug a zinc penny that was on top of a quarter, I had no idea the quarter was there until I saw it. Tried the same thing at home with a quarter and a nickel...anyone else tried this? Explorer hits the quarter, Nox hits the nickel. If I angle can get a high tone. I’ve been running park 1 and 2 50 tones, noise canceled, gbalanced, speed 3, iron bias 1. Now in saltwater this thing is awesome.

dbado1 said:

in 50 Tones..

Bryan

Exactly! Well written, Bryan.
I believe, from reading various posts, that operator's run the sensitivity too high which causes a lot of iron falsing. I rarely run over 20 on iron infested sites. Lowering sensitivity will not appreciably affect depth. Now, if we can figure out how to eliminate it calling whole aluminum cans as "good" I would be happy. Why do people feel the need to bury aluminum cans instead of throwing them in the trash?

Dean

2x This.

Love nails? My CZ-6 and 6a. The 800. No. Aluminum? Every detector I've ever owned.

Rich -

Dropped sensitivity bumped bias up to 2 and focused on the signals that repeated at 90 degrees. Very few nails, IHP, navy button, Buffalo, 2 nickels, some brass pieces. All fairly deep and gave clean audio. Thanks for the pointers.