Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Oh, Oh.....NOX 600 Control Panel Failure :help:

Coin Rescue Inc

This is strange -

I loaded the NOX in the back seat of my truck this morning at 9 am and when back to the house to get other gear.
When I returned the NOX was chirping and operating.
"Strange, I did not touch the On Button", I thought. So I am fairly certain the unit turned itself on.

The screen was active flashing numbers like it was receiving EMI. That is normal close to home. I saw the Battery level was at 3/4 full.

So I attempted to shut if off and the sound went silent but the unit display would not shut off. I quickly realized none of the control buttons would work.
No more sound or usable activity. Just the lettering on the display panel. I disconnected the coil and that did not change anything. Temperature was 75 degrees and overcast so no over heating involved.

Nothing I could do but let the unit alone and let the Battery drain out - About 5 PM the unit lost power and shut down.

So I am recharging it now hoping it will turn on and be normal. The green charging light is flashing - after 15 then 25 mins I tried to restart but no response

Anyone have a clue or experience anything like this?

I can't be of any help concerning the Nox, but I sincerely hope it returns to normal for you and that you can return to using it soon. Best of Luck to you.

I can't say for the Nox--but this happened to me when the Explorer XS first came out.-----We were travelling down the road in the motorhome & the thing turned itself on, making all kinds of weird noises.----I'm sure my wife thought the thing was possessed!:)-------I contacted Minelab & they said "send it in".-----They replaced the whole control unit with a new one.-----Contact Minelab right away, I'm sure they will take care of it.-----------Del

How my 800 died (to long to re-post):
https://www.findmall.com/read.php?107,2445816,2445816#msg-2445816

Sorry to hear, its sounds to me like you need to phone the Minelab service centre.
Hopefully a quick turn around for you, good luck with it.

24 hours later - The battery took a charge but the unit will not turn on. So I will be calling an Emailing the service center for help.

Thanks to all who responded.

Just a note: I have not used the unit under water so the control panel was never submerged.

Holy Cow!

I was just sitting here in my kitchen surfing the net with the 600 propped up against the wall behind me.

It Beeped and turned itself on and stared making EMI sounds. Shocked I tried to shut it off - This time the screen shut off but not the sounds until the second to third try. Then it went silent.

I tried to turn it back on and that failed to work -

Jamie and the Minelab service center will be glad to help. If the unit is self starting I wouldn't try to shut it off let it drain the battery down, I don't think you want coming on during shipping :yikes: JMO

Laplander

I think that thing needs an exorcism before you send it in! :)------Seriously--it sounds like it is doing about the same things my XS did.-----Send it in, Minelab will take care of it for you (most likely replace it as they did my XS).-----Like Laplander said--let the battery run down before shipment.---With mine, at least I could take the battery out.;)-------Bummer I know--but those things (though rare) can & do happen to these wonderful time machines we call detectors.
Coin Rescue Inc said:
Holy Cow!

I was just sitting here in my kitchen surfing the net with the 600 propped up against the wall behind me.

It Beeped and turned itself on and stared making EMI sounds. Shocked I tried to shut it off - This time the screen shut off but not the sounds until the second to third try. Then it went silent.

I tried to turn it back on and that failed to work -

6 PM update-

I was gone all day to of all things a Metal Detecting Club get-together where they bury coins and then stage a few group Hunts.
The 600 stayed home.
So now on my return home the 600 will turn on and off.
The programming looks to react normally.
A few segments I notched out on the scale are still there in Park 1.
The programming is still there.
So I think it is a mechanical issue with the button vs. a software failure.

Even So I am perplexed. There must have been something internally holding the "on-off" button in a "pressed in" condition, not allowing it to move back and forth.

I think my best bet now is to email Mine Lab and report the issue and ask for instructions. At least document the occurrence in case this happens again.

Button failure has been reported at least once on the forums, to the best of my knowledge. I would send it in unless you can’t be without it.

Update

I emailed MineLab Sunday evening with a summary of the problem
I received a reply Monday Morning asking for my Address so they can send me a RMA form and instructions for returning it.

So it seems I will get help.

Thanks to all that replied to this thread.