Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Ok. I need some adult supervision figuring out the GB on the Equinox 800

5900_XL-1 said:
As you keep sweeping and listening to determine if it’s a good target, I think the machine says to itself “the ground is changing, I need to adjust and it dials it out”

That’s why I don’t like it but have heard in bad ground it can be necessary

JMHO

I agree.I believe that auto GB can easily dial out a good target, yet the FBS machines seem to do ok with the built in auto mode. I'll still select manual GB with any machine I select.

This is what throws off so many people. FBS had NO "auto GB". It delt with mineralization the same way the EQX does on GB 0. The very nature of the technology ignores much of the common background minerals. It needed no adjusting to the GB. That is why when the CTX released, ML said to leave GB alone unless you had very tough ground (although too many people ignored that, thinking they know best)

The nature of MLs multi-freq technology means it doesnt need GB for the vast majority of locations.

Jason in Enid said:
This is what throws off so many people. FBS had NO "auto GB". It delt with mineralization the same way the EQX does on GB 0. The very nature of the technology ignores much of the common background minerals. It needed no adjusting to the GB. That is why when the CTX released, ML said to leave GB alone unless you had very tough ground (although too many people ignored that, thinking they know best)

The nature of MLs multi-freq technology means it doesnt need GB for the vast majority of locations.

+1

Jason in Enid said:
As you keep sweeping and listening to determine if it’s a good target, I think the machine says to itself “the ground is changing, I need to adjust and it dials it out”

JMHO

I agree.I believe that auto GB can easily dial out a good target, yet the FBS machines seem to do ok with the built in auto mode. I'll still select manual GB with any machine I select.

Thanks for the correction and explanation Jason. Learn something new every day ;-)

sgoss66 said:
Here is my thought on the matter, for what it's worth...

I do not think ground balancing of the machine is a huge deal, except for in hotter/mineralized ground. The caveat would be (and this I think is a big part of why GB exists on the machine) UNLESS you are running in single-frequency mode, in which case ground balance becomes a bigger deal. I believe that when running in Multi, the machine (similar to how FBS works) "deals with" the ground in a "different" way that traditional ground balancing on a single freq. machine. There was not even an ABILITY to ground balance, on the Explorers and E-Trac, and on the CTX, the manual says to ONLY ground balance if in extreme soil.

So, I personally, for what it's worth, don't really worry that much about ground balancing. What I do, is do a "ground grab" -- and what I mean is I use the "auto balance" procedure where I pump the machine up and down until it settles on a number, and then I leave it there and don't worry about it. Again, I just don't think -- and experience seems to bear this out -- that ground balance is all that critical, in a majority of soils, with Minelab multi-frequency machines. Now, if you are gold prospecting, or hunting in really tough ground, like Culpeper, OR if you are running a SINGLE frequency, then those are cases where it may likely be more critical. Otherwise, when running Multi-mode, I think [size=x-large]there's a different "paradigm" in effect, in terms of ground handling, using Minelab multi-freq. machines...[/size]

Steve

I think that Steve (sgos66) has come the closest to the most rational reasoning regarding Minelab and their 'woolie' explanations of GB'ing.

Firstly.....You really can't GB a multi-frequency TIME-DOMAIN systems, in the same sense as that employed in FREQUENCY DOMAIN practices.

I could go into 'technical-mode' and expand on my post, but that could fill a forum; and probably discourage those who comment from their experiences of usage,( much valued by ML designers) rather than rationalising based on knowledge of the type of circuitry employed by Minelab in their FBS machines ..(e,g E-Trac..CTX3030)......matt

I think an owner is correct in expecting repetitive results for a given target area for both noise cancel and ground balance.
The average of the random results may be zero - thus the recommended setting? :)

Sounds like the good old learning curves to me. Tweek, learn, tweek some more, start getting better results. Tweek some more in different conditions until you"re all tweeked out and the learning curves have become the straight and narrow. And then finally you may end up in some other soil conditions where another slight adjustment may have to happen. Eventually we all find the settings that work best for us under any given condition. Experimentation and getting to know the machine takes some time. Not all things are expedient in this microwave generation, sometimes the crock pot slow cooker is the best method . When all the ingredients are in place, then it becomes a good recipe for success.

sgoss66 said:
Here is my thought on the matter, for what it's worth...

I do not think ground balancing of the machine is a huge deal, except for in hotter/mineralized ground. The caveat would be (and this I think is a big part of why GB exists on the machine) UNLESS you are running in single-frequency mode, in which case ground balance becomes a bigger deal. I believe that that [size=x-large]when running in Multi, the machine (similar to how FBS works) "deals with" the ground in a "different" way[/size] that traditional ground balancing on a single freq. machine. There was not even an ABILITY to ground balance, on the Explorers and E-Trac, and on the CTX, the manual says to ONLY ground balance if in extreme soil.

So, I personally, for what it's worth, don't really worry that much about ground balancing. What I do, is do a "ground grab" -- and what I mean is I use the "auto balance" procedure where I pump the machine up and down until it settles on a number, and then I leave it there and don't worry about it. Again, I just don't think -- and experience seems to bear this out -- that ground balance is all that critical, in a majority of soils, with Minelab multi-frequency machines. Now, if you are gold prospecting, or hunting in really tough ground, like Culpeper, OR if you are running a SINGLE frequency, then those are cases where it may likely be more critical. Otherwise, when running Multi-mode, I think there's a different "paradigm" in effect, in terms of ground handling, using Minelab multi-freq. machines...

Steve

I live in the Rocky Mountain region. I always use the auto ground balance procedure (ground grab) and then I might manually ground balance a number or two either way from the result of the ground grab. My numbers in the gold fields and in normal coin/jewelry detecting range from +7 to -4. I have never used an Equinox in mild soil conditions so I have never just left it at 0. There is way too much naturally occurring magnetite where I detect to use tracking ground balance either. I just ground grab if I start to hear ground feedback. I have to keep my sensitivity below default 20 for the same reason.

Jeff

jtalley007 said:

JMHO
That's pretty much what it does on a 705 in "tracking". They warn not to leave tracking on while PPing..

[size=x-large]You only need to MANUALLY GB the NOX when using SINGLE FREQUENCY.

[size=large]You can't conventionally GB a multi frequency-mode......

I suspect that they employ the E-Trac / CTX type of circuitry instead, when in MULTI;

It 'RC filters-out' the ground 'modulation' component......matt[/size]

metalpopper said:
[size=x-large]You only need to MANUALLY GB the NOX when using SINGLE FREQUENCY.

[size=large]You can't conventionally GB a multi frequency-mode......

I suspect that they employ the E-Trac / CTX type of circuitry instead, when in MULTI;

It 'RC filters-out' the ground 'modulation' component......matt[/size]

There is something else happening with the Equinox Multi IQ ground balance process. There are some interesting hints about what that might be in the manual.

As SteveG and many others who use the Equinox 800 in high mineralization and for gold prospecting have found out, if you don't ground balance one way or another in bad ground you will have bad results.
So, your blanket statement "You Only Need To Manually Ground Balance The Nox When Using Single Frequencies" may work well for you and for most situations but it does not work for me and many of my coin/jewelry, relic and prospecting friends who detect in the Rocky Mountains and desert Southwest of the USA.

Jeff

Colorado

Rich (Utah) said:
Here's a good U-tube video on the how-to's of ground balancing the Equinox. Hope it helps.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zwhnBCTgCKg

Rich (Utah)

Thanks Rich! That was a very helpful video. Good luck!