Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

OK setup ttf on the trac. Seems to work well

c t

However if I switch to 4-or multi tones. Iron grunts and gold silver copper and learn don't have different tones I would think in 4 there would be 4 tones and multi. Well multi. I have no clue is it normal? If not is there a solution. Thank you HH c t

TTF is best used in 2 tone and some do like it in 4 tone , but TTF is NOT for multi tone use at all. As you practice in TTF you will learn to like it very much !

Hello and thank you for the reply. In ttf I get a grunt on square nails and a higher tone on copper silver and gold. Then I switch to 4tone still just an iron grunt and gold silver and copper same tone. Same in multi. Iron grunts on square nail and rusty ox shoe same single tone on non ferrous. Should the non ferrous give multi tones on multi and 4 tones in 4 tone? In conductive I get 4 tones in 4 tone and multi in multi. Wondering if my new etrac is broke?? Thank you HH c t

ct,
i use 4 tone ferrous and occassionally multi tone ferrous a lot.... found most of my deep coins in iron infested areas with those settings along with an open screen.
All the old 19th Century parks around here are loaded and i mean loaded with deep corroded nails.
The main advantage of using either 4 tone ferrous or multi ferrous as opposed to 2 tone ferrous is that you can hunt more by tone.

You really need to understand the difference between conductive and ferrous settings especially how they pertain to 4 tones.
Read up on the eTRAC instruction manual pages 64, 65, and 66 and then if you have any further questions i or someone else will gladly answer them.
If for some reason you don't have a manual hard copy, its available on the Minelab website for download in PDF format.

One thing to keep in mind, any ferrous setting is of little to no benefit in areas with no iron junk, best to use conductive settings in those areas.

One this for sure ... 2TF is nothing short of fantastic in junkie areas - once you get use to it - you will find a lot of keepers that others have missed !

I as well love TTF! I started using multi tone, but liked everything I was reading and watching from other users ( Goes4ever, Bill_S ) about TTF. After searching a large park in multi tone, i switched to TTF to give it a chance with a second pass through the same area. I found as much ( good targets,silvers, wheats, indians) on the second pass through the park as the first pass. I was very impressed! After getting use to TTF, I then went to using TTF with an open screen, WOW! Once you get use to hearing ALL responses, TTF leaves you feeling as though you never missed much. TTF, IMHO, made learning nails and scrap metal much easier ( for me ) to ID before digging.
The thing about only hearing 2 tones, low tones being basically junk metal and high tones being the targets you will want to investigate, you get use to hearing that low tone to the point where the high tone will LEAP out at you. Investigating every high tone, even and especially the ones mixed with a low tone, is when you will really start to understand whats under your coil. That being all said, I've never felt as though any other detectors I've use ever communicated the amount of dependable information My Etrac delivers!
I hope this helps you some.

OK so again I went open screen ferrous audio 2tone tested 11 targets 4 iron 7 non ferrous. Iron all low tones great all other targets high great! Then I switched to multi ferrous again iron low tone perfect. All others silver gold lead copper pewter etc. All the same high tone. Gold and lead. Sound exactly like silver and copper now where are the multi tones? Shouldn't all nonferrous. Have different sounds? Thank you. HH c t. In conductive multi everything sounds different

Don't get me wrong i use 2TF as well in iron'd areas where i expect deep keepers.
In iron'd areas where i don't expect real deep keepers, 4 tone or sometimes mult tone ferrous is my goto setting for a little faster recovery times.

ct,
Some gold, copper, small silver, aluminium and maybe even lead all typically reside on the ferrous 12 scale. Yes because of this, they will all give similar tones in multi ferrous. When out detecting with multi ferrous, i'm interested in all non-ferrous target tones then verify the digital ID as to whether dig or not. Try a silver dollar and the tone will be noticeably higher as it typically will produce an ID somewhere in the ferrous 1 to 3 scale.

Hate to say this but,
Looks like you haven't read the manual! Have you?
Looks to me you still don't understand the difference between ferrous and conductive settings.
If you want a detailed explanation, PM me and i'll try to help.

I repeat, in areas with little to no iron, its best to use conductive tones, there the tonal differences between the above metals mentioned wil be clearly delineated.
This is the primary reason eTRAC beginners should stick with conductive tones until they understand their detector.

Maybe these charts will help you......

Hopskippy said:

Well, I am certainly intrigued with the 4TF! I've had such good luck with the TTF. I'm really curious about the targets in the medium-low zone. I might be a bit sick to think of all those targets that I'd have missed in that zone using TTF. The disced out areas seem completely counter to the whole TTF concept. Will have to try both with and without.

Thanks! Can't wait to try it!

Phillip_in_NM said:
Hopskippy said:
Well, I am certainly intrigued with the 4TF! I've had such good luck with the TTF. I'm really curious about the targets in the medium-low zone. I might be a bit sick to think of all those targets that I'd have missed in that zone using TTF. The disced out areas seem completely counter to the whole TTF concept. Will have to try both with and without.
Thanks! Can't wait to try it!

Again once more, no ferrous setting IMO is of any benefit in areas with little to no iron junk. Best to use multi-conductive in those areas.

With that said, TTF is great and has its place as i use it also, but your eyes have to be glued to that display.
Using TTF, i've had tartgets that grunted iron but when looking at the ID it was marginally iron. Dug one of those and it turned out to be a deep silver coin. Dug more of those which produced more deep coins but many deep corroded nails too.
To be successful at this, one just has to be willing to dig, learn and eventually reap the keepers. This is why i like the challenge of detecting iron infested 'hunted out parks', parks where many walked over those deep tricky keepers.

With 4, or especially multi Ferrous tones in iron'd areas along with an open pattern, you can tell pretty much whats going on with the various tones;
bottom'd out low ferrous grunt tones..keep walking,
medium to higher ferrous tones..time to look at the ID and depending on the depth indicator and gut feelings, know where your digging tool is at,
mid tones and higher tones into the conductive area... depending on the ID, depth indication and gut feelings, pull the digging tool out and start digging.

Multi Ferrous does take some getting used to after being on auto pilot with multi conductive tones.
Yeah its yet another eTRAC learning curve to master.

My experience with TTF has been completely different. I just tried it again this weekend, using the TTF of Goes4Ever's settings, and found nothing but iron. I think it works OK, although I have yet to se any convincing videos, on shallower less trashy conditions, but blows on deep iron. 100% of the mid tones I got were rusted nails, bolts and wire at 10-12". 3 hours of TTF yeilded nothing but iron on every mid tone. I went back to mutitone and was fine.

It sounds to me like he is trying to AIR TEST in TTF... did I read it wrong? TTF will NOT air test, it has to have a target in the ground and a pretty open screen (at most I use the UK Roman disc pattern). I LOVE using TTF in trashy areas!

Robby you read it correct and I was given insight as to my personal error by Ironsight. My mistake to in airtesting. Items with same ferrous vector reading. Thank you to all that replied I now understand how the ttf works now just waiting to get a break in the weather to apply ttf in the field. HH c t

Southwind said:
My experience with TTF has been completely different. I just tried it again this weekend, using the TTF of Goes4Ever's settings, and found nothing but iron. I think it works OK, although I have yet to se any convincing videos, on shallower less trashy conditions, but blows on deep iron. 100% of the mid tones I got were rusted nails, bolts and wire at 10-12". 3 hours of TTF yeilded nothing but iron on every mid tone. I went back to mutitone and was fine.

there is no mid tone in TTF just high and low ... maybe you had it in 4 tone or multi tone or something. TTF Two Tone Ferrous ... High and Low ... high is conductive metal, low is iron

robby4570 said:
It sounds to me like he is trying to AIR TEST in TTF... did I read it wrong? TTF will NOT air test, it has to have a target in the ground and a pretty open screen (at most I use the UK Roman disc pattern). I LOVE using TTF in trashy areas!

Air testing a target or testing a target in the ground, TTF should still work. Iron is iron and non-ferrous is non-ferrous whether in the ground or air.
An old severly corroded carbonized nail might give air test problems though as they do in the ground. :sad: