Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Okay so I realize I'm new to this brand of detector...

Not sure what 4 bars is lol I look at the screen and keep mine around 23-24. If it starts chattering like a 4th grader who’s jacked up on sugar, I then lower it until it smooths out but rarely will I go below 20.
Fwcrawford is correct multi-frequency is more sensitive to EMI than single frequency.

Also make sure if you have a cell phone to place it on airplane mode or shut it off. This can definitely wreak havoc on your machine.
Try a different hunting area to determine if it could just be EMI that’s causing this.
“4th grader jacked up on sugar...”🤣 Or my wife jacked up on energy drinks....
EQX doesn’t need to be “jacked up” to report coins. Recovery speed is more critical for depth. Around here, something like Sensitivity 16 and Recovery at 4 (on the 800) it’ll find a dime at 7-8” deep without issue with the stock coil.
Keep working with it Steve, just don’t overcrank the settings.

Steve, that IS a coil cover. Pop that bad-boy off and clean under it! If you've never done that, I suspect you have dirt/sand under there which WILL cause it to be noisy! Good luck!

Does the Equinox 600 ever shut up? This thing is so chatty and jumpy it's hard to tell when you had a good Target versus all the other junk out there. I've done the noise cancellation, the ground balance, everything else it just seems like it never shuts up and I have a hard time trying to figure out what's a good Target versus background noise or falsing.
Check this article out. BTW; in heavy trash inner city parks I run between 14 and 17 on sensitivity or else chatter, even when I exclusively use the 6" coil. We have very mineralized soil here in Oregon. Noise Cancel and Other Tips

Check this article out. BTW; in heavy trash inner city parks I run between 14 and 17 on sensitivity or else chatter, even when I exclusively use the 6" coil. We have very mineralized soil here in Oregon. Noise Cancel and Other Tips
Very interesting point on the coil cable to route it straight up the lower shaft then wind it..
Mark

Is dealer told me about not winding the cable around the shaft some years ago…. Not sure where he got it from.
Very interesting point on the coil cable to route it straight up the lower shaft then wind it..
Mark
I've always ran the wire straight up the lower rod to the juncture using velcro, then wind it around the upper to the control box. Don't really know if it makes a big difference, because I've watched many veterans posting videos with sloppy, loose windings all the way up. Some of the videos were even from metal detector manufacturers in their presentation.

I've always ran the wire straight up the lower rod to the juncture using velcro, then wind it around the upper to the control box. Don't really know if it makes a big difference, because I've watched many veterans posting videos with sloppy, loose windings all the way up. Some of the videos were even from metal detector manufacturers in their presentation.
Setup on most shows the wire wrapped around the bottom rod

Even though I was told about this, I have never tried it, but it could make a difference, especially on the Equinox since it seems to be more sensitive to EMI than other detectors.
Like you, I have seen sloppy wrap jobs on cables too, but they are still making plenty of great finds.
I have yet to see a set of instructions that stated to run the cable any other way other than wrapping it around the shaft all the way.

Even though I was told about this, I have never tried it, but it could make a difference, especially on the Equinox since it seems to be more sensitive to EMI than other detectors.
Like you, I have seen sloppy wrap jobs on cables too, but they are still making plenty of great finds.
I have yet to see a set of instructions that stated to run the cable any other way other than wrapping it around the shaft all the way.
To me the Deus is the most affected by EMI because it is all wireless sometimes you can never get it to quiet that’s one reason I prefer the nox over it and it can be used in the water because it’s waterproof and has the cable from coil to controller..
Mark

Has anyone tried one of these noise reducers cuts down on EMI??? On fleabay

Attachments

• 421E9701-0F8C-4938-8156-8DD71B8BEB26.png
    421E9701-0F8C-4938-8156-8DD71B8BEB26.png
    3.9 MB · Views: 94
Interesting article, I will try that with my 800 next time I use it. But I do know what Steve is talking about, if I'm going to a trashy park I usually take the Deus, If I go prospecting I leave the 800 at home all for the same reason each swing is nothing but noise and you have to sort out the repeatable targets. forget about saying EMI, If I am 30 miles from the nearest power line I do not think that would be the problem. I've found the 800 hates mineralized soil especially if there is very much basalt in the area. Sensitivity I have to keep it at a 14 - 16 any place I go or get a migraine from the chatter. has anyone tried a minelab pinpointer, useless.

Interesting article, I will try that with my 800 next time I use it. But I do know what Steve is talking about, if I'm going to a trashy park I usually take the Deus, If I go prospecting I leave the 800 at home all for the same reason each swing is nothing but noise and you have to sort out the repeatable targets. forget about saying EMI, If I am 30 miles from the nearest power line I do not think that would be the problem. I've found the 800 hates mineralized soil especially if there is very much basalt in the area. Sensitivity I have to keep it at a 14 - 16 any place I go or get a migraine from the chatter. has anyone tried a minelab pinpointer, useless.
I use my equinox on salt beaches loaded with iron red and black sand I have no problem with mineralization..
You must have some seriously bad soil ! I use a Deus pinpointer never had a problem with it but my Deus was a chatter box lol
Mark

Mark
I was advised by a trusted electronics person years ago, who stated that wrapping the coil wire introduced a 'kind of internal' short across the transmission and reception signals. In computer networking classes I also learned that the 'wrapped pair' in Ethernet Cat5 cabling functionally created an interference to outside signals and/or prevented loss of signal. I just don't remember so well these days. So... all this time later I avoid any wrapping until several inches from coil, and the same thing with keeping cable straight for several inches in approach to control housing. I use cohesive athletic tape as it has some give for flexing the coil, provided I left a smidge of slack there. The cohesive tape protects my cabling and is easy enough to remove and wrap new tape. Soon enough I will get one of the cable skins; and I will still wrap cohesive tape around it all, so it will not slip as easily when wet.

Attachments

• NOX 800 Wrapped Shaft.jpg
    NOX 800 Wrapped Shaft.jpg
    596.2 KB · Views: 132
I found that my mobile phone causes the most headaches with Equinox EMI interference. I turn it off and the detector goes quiet. I can also tell if someone with a mobile phone walks by esp if I have the detector wide open with high sensitivity.
Also, I found that RF radios of the surf lifeguards as well as any proximity alarm systems can cause EMI issues. Hell, I had a PI detector that hated drones...some guy was out with one on the beach one time and the PI just wouldn't settle down. Once it was gone, it went as quiet as a PI unit can get.
EMI is the pox of all metal detectorists. :cautious:

I always have my iphone running in my front pocket with a BT link to my apple watch while MDing. It causes no EMI for my 800. A guy with a Surf PI walked up to me one day and lit my 800 up good. I had to yank my ear pods out. There is a utility box(cable tv?) on one of the beaches I go to that lights the 800 up pretty well until I drop sensitivity down a couple notches.