Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Old Ben Inferno Coal?

Aarong81

I found these 2 foil discs today and tried searching but can't find anything other than some match boxes on ebay that are Old Ben. They don't say anything about coal though. What are these foil discs for? Also found was a silver quarter and 1919 Wheat cent.

Based in Chicago, with mines in central and southern Illinois. Trademark was issued in 1953 and has been allowed to expire. They look like the foil disc that seal cans, under a screw cap. Was there ever a use for powdered coal?

I don't know. It seems weird to market coal in a small enough container that would use this size of foil seal. Although, Coal is the main ingredient in Black Powder and Old Ben mines used Black Blasting Powder for a long time. Here is a writeup about the president and CEO of Old Ben Coal Company speaking about eliminating the use of this dangerous explosive. HERE

It sure looks like a seal to a bottle but I think they are thicker than expected for that use. Perhaps accommodating blasting powder?

I am trying to picture them on each end of a cardboard tube and these are the end caps somehow. Perhaps holding matches inside. What is also weird, I can't find this exact logo with coal underneath inferno.

If they marketed a product, you would think there would be some artifacts and collectibles remaining from them. This is what is nice about these forums, some day another person will search Old Ben Inferno Coal and this post will be the ONLY visual evidence they can find to match their artifact with.

Here is the patent to add to the list of clues and the patent page with a little info on the company...http://trade.mar.cx/US71657550/
http://img02.mar.cx/us/597230.png

They were advertising pieces mixed in with stoker coal. I shoveled a lot of stoker coal into our basement when I was a kid. We always saved all of these that we found and used them for play money. I still find a few when detecting old private yards. Each mine had their own name on the coal delivered from them. There are still Old Ben coal mines in operation in Southern Illinois. Google scatter tags.

Yep, most stoker coal was delivered by rail to local pickup sites such as a grain elevator or lumber yard that sat close to the tracks and had a siding to park the hopper cars on. We got ours from the local grain elevator.

Ant said:
Thst's why I've found them at roadroad sites.

Awesome, Thanks Flinthunter! Besides the coal, this IS the product. I would never have guessed they were made just as these were found and only for advertizement. I like a good positive ID in the morning. LOL

I'm kinda proud of them now, vintage coal advertizement fresh from the ground. :detecting: