Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Old Settlers Park

Steve In Michigan

Got out for a couple hours to a old park this weekend. It has been hammered to death by detectors. Really didn't find much some trash and a couple pennies. One is a really green and corroded wheat penny. Can't get the date off it because of the green corrosion. Any ideas on how to clean it up?

Attachments

• 20210814_091332.jpg
    20210814_091332.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 103
  • 20210814_091352.jpg
    20210814_091352.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 90
  • 20210814_091453.jpg
    20210814_091453.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 105
  • 20210814_093938.jpg
    20210814_093938.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 94
I have had fair luck with cleaning Pennies & other Copper based finds by soaking in warm to hot Hydrogen Peroxide then gently going over it with a toothpick. Be patient & go slow. Repeat as needed.

One IH penny I have I asked the coin store about cost to clean it up. He said cost was more than worth of the coin, but suggested naval jelly and light and careful cleaning motions with a toothpick. Not so sure I will do that, penny was “opinioned” as EF 40 and higher by him so leaving it alone….
I guess what would you do if it ended up being a 1909 VLD?

I have found Naval Jelly & Aluminum Jelly to be very hard on anything Copper based. It will also turn it purple. It does get the crud off though.

One IH penny I have I asked the coin store about cost to clean it up. He said cost was more than worth of the coin, but suggested naval jelly and light and careful cleaning motions with a toothpick. Not so sure I will do that, penny was “opinioned” as EF 40 and higher by him so leaving it alone….
I guess what would you do if it ended up being a 1909 VLD?
But you can't tell what year it is. Can only see the top of Lincoln's head (barely) and the top part of the reeds on the back. It wouldn't even rate at "poor" condition.

I was to understand that it was obscured by the green “rust” and you were looking for any suggestions to remove and clean. I’m still assuming the date may be under the corrosion and just not seen??
Elmy’s trick of using ketchup on silver and nickels has cleared up several dates so that was what I was getting at, it may be there!

Got out for a couple hours to a old park this weekend. It has been hammered to death by detectors. Really didn't find much some trash and a couple pennies. One is a really green and corroded wheat penny. Can't get the date off it because of the green corrosion. Any ideas on how to clean it
How trashy was it?

I'll have to go check it out if I ever get time.

Quite often just barely covering a cent with vinegar and then a dollop of salt will loosen the crud enough to get a date with using a gentle rub or tooth pick. If after a good rinse with water on a dug coin if I still can't get a date, I am not going to worry about it being a key date, or even one in great condition. As, its not in great condition, its a dug coin coin and you can't see the date. HH jim tn

Lemon juice works well for me. Just keep an eye on it and check the coin every 20-30 min