Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Only one coin today........but it's a Flying Eagle! ........then my headphones jack quit!

Dale(Ia)

Was also in a beanfield hunting this afternoon. Got about ten feet from the car and got a terrible signal ( If I wasn't in a field I would not have dug it!) Flipped over the dirt & saw the green disc........picked it up and rubbed the face & thought ........Oh Crap, it's Lincoln's head! Flipped it over & thought, well those wheat stalk's look odd? Looked closer & saw the wreath! Flipped it again & it had dried enough I could see the eagle. Only my second one!
Continued hunting & dug a musket ball & then about 15 min. later dug the little piece of Indian trade silver ( a little hair tube.......this old town site had a small Indian camp on it previously )
Hunted a few more minutes & my headphones started cuttting out & then quit completely so I had to quit hunting. It's not the headphones........it's the female recepticle in the handle that get's corroded.........anyone else have a problem with this? Last time it happened I used a chainsaw sharpening stone to clean it out.........anybody have a better way to correct this?
Thanx!
Dale

Awesome find Dale!!! You don't come across then everyday. :cheers:

Go to Radio shack or some electrical store and buy a can of deoxit D5...It's an electrical contact cleaner...
It will lubricate and clean contacts in electrical item's Will also remove the static in your headphone
volume controls when you adjust the volume...
[size=x-large]NICE COIN:thumbup:[/size]

Great looking Flying Eagle, Dale! Thanks for the picture. Sorry about your headphone jack.

NebTrac

Now theirs 2 really cool finds, Congrat's

I've been lucky to of found 2 Flying eagles but I've never found a piece of trade silver and that's near the top of my to find list. When I use to live in S.E. IA I knew a guy that found several pieces of trade silver and he knew where their use to be a lot of the Indian camps and he would MD those fields alot. from what he said the Oklahoma indians would trade the silver pieces with the IA Indians. I always thought it would be really cool to find one of those pieces of silver.

Nice finds, first i heard of Indinan trade silver, interesting. Looks like a productive site.

Short of pulling, sending it in to ML or replacing the earphone jack, i'd try what duggr suggested first.

Hold the detector upright, spray into the jack let any excess contact cleaner fluid drip out then insert the male earphone plug in and out several times. Might have to do this a few times til the headphones work again. The contact cleaner will also help keep the jack from corroding in the future.
Do not use a chainsaw sharpening stone or any other harsh abrasive. It might wittle down the contact metal in the jack to the point its permanently inoperable if not already.

1st i heard of an eTRAC earphone jack getting corroded to the point the headphones won't work.

How did it get so corroded in the 1st place?

Yep, like those and it looks like you have done pretty good at finding the old trade silver, wtg. That's so cool....

Someday I hope to find one.

Dale(Ia) said:
You mean like these, Mark?

Dale(Ia) said:
ironsight said:
How did it get so corroded in the 1st place?

Probably too many hunts in pouring rain in England!:rofl:
Thanks for the suggestions, I'll try that!

Detecting in the pouring rain, man thats hard core! :twodetecting: :)
Coming from a fair wheather detectorist who's lucky to get out once a week these days. :sadwalk:

nice one that sure makes a bad day into a great day!

Dale wow good to see you geting out hunting nice finds i would love to find both of them its been slow up here for me this year but got a new place that looks to mabe or mabe not be good going to hunt it this weekend

Congrat on the Flying Eagle Cent !

I have the same contact problems with my headphone jack - started about a year ago.
I'll have to try some of the cleaner you guy's are talking about here.

Thanks for the info. !

Thanx, Petit! I definately need to get some new fields to hunt, too! Went out yesterday & only good finds were a nice tooth marked musketball & another Trade Silver hair tube.........mashed flat!
It was bitter cold! At least I got my headphones working.

Great find mate,I had the same problem with headphone jack,I dismounted the handle,there is a small micro switch inside that sticks just needs
a bit of electrical lube on it,the open hole can get dirt etc in it.