Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Opinions matter

Dr.Deus

Just curious here, When i had my E-Trac i had my ferrous line opened up to accept 28 and up and could easily tell iron from silver without too much falsing. With the CTX if i have the ferrous line set at 28 it just seems like too much falsing bleeds through. So my question is. for those of you who discriminate out iron, at what line do you guys set the ferrous at with the CTX. I know most of you use combined tones with an open screen and ferrous-coin. But for me in my ground it seems like it goes nuts falsing on all the nails whenever i use an open screen. I tried to lower my auto sens. to A and +1 and even down to -3 but the falsing doesn't seem to subside. If i lowered my sensitivity down auto -3 I'm pretty much losing all my depths because it would only top out at about 14 in auto and sometimes less. I even tried to lower my gain as well.
Ive been using 50co with ferrous-coin lately so that's why i brought up the discussion about setting in with some discrimination on the ferrous axis. Also i would like to add that when using 50co with discrimination it definitely loses depths. But in trash 50co seems to work pretty dang good with some discrimination anyway. Some input would be much appreciated, Thanks. HH

I have hunted a few places where I could not run my Auto Sensitivity with a positive offset. But darned few. And I never felt I had to drop down to a negative offset on Auto Sensitivity. As you said, the depth of detection will be decreased. I would suggest a couple things to try....... first and foremost, slow down your sweep speed. Even with a faster processor (than your E-TRAC), the CTX is not only detecting, but identifying multiple targets under the coil, simultaneously. I am sweeping the CTX slower than I ever did the E-TRAC. Secondly....in addition to the FE line you mentioned, try rejecting out notch segments FE 01/CO 49 & 50, and FE 02/ CO 49 & 50. Doing that should not have an adverse effect on hitting US coins. But I believe it will help minimize the "false iron" signals that you are having. One comment you made that I haven't found to be the case with mine is that I don't feel I am losing depth by running with discrimination. In fact, I've been hunting some sites where I used my E-TRAC in previous years, running TTF with minimal discrimination, and I've found running a fairly aggressive discrimination Pattern in Ferrous - Coin separation still allows the coins to "signal through" the trash. I've yet to find a coin in Pattern 2 (which is an open screen except for FE 35 rejected) that I couldn't hear equally as well in Pattern 1 with the additional rejection. The reason I use Pattern 2 is to discern the audio responses of coins (in the center of the coil) from the "overlap"signal of iron, around the edge of the coil. If a target is not in the same "spot" when switching back and forth from my Pattern 1 and Pattern 2, I don't bother to dig it. JMHO HH Randy

OK so i see what you're saying. Its ok if i still want to use the factory mine lab coin program as my primary search pattern. Just reject that little corner in the upper right hand side of the screen to help minimize false signals. In exchange2 it looks like it would only be rejecting four 1x1 squares. In the stock coin program that mine lab has designed,using discrimination pattern 1, they have the FE line set at 17 accepting CO35-50. Would you recommend dropping the FE line to say 21? or do you think more iron is going to sound off that way.Or is it just more of a personal preference? See the thing is Ive only been metal detecting for a year and a half and for the most part I'm doing really well for a beginner i think. But my biggest problem so far has been understanding how to recognize a coin that is hiding in iron, for example the sights and sounds that the detector would make when trying to signal me that there is a coin lying next to or under a big nail. I will give these great tips a shot the next time i go out, and hopefully post some of the results.Thanks Randy. HH

Digger laid it out very nicely. I run 50CO as well and though I get a lot of falsing running it hot, the falses are obvious - they move around and are not consistent (for the most part). It is those consistent falses (i.e., when the ground is wet) that sometimes get me and all of us.

Something to mention, I find that ferrous coin falses quite a bit more than high trash. But, in my somewhat iron mineralized ground, ferrous coin is much more stable as far as the cursor goes. Perhaps high trash, if you are not already using it, can help with the falsing.

Regarding coins hiding in iron, I have to say, there is not as much guessing with the CTX as with many other detectors. Perhaps it is the processing speed and such, but the CTX usually, not always, hits coins in iron well, if it can hit on them at all. It may not be a 4 way hit of course but it usually hits on them.

If you have been detecting for only a year and a half, it is a long road to getting those ears to understand what you are seeing. (A nice test by the way is just not to use the screen and before you look, guess at what the sound is telling you.) I have asked a lot of questions in my time and I have to say, as much as I don't like to hear it, the greatest teacher has been digging lots of targets and learning the language. I purely say this because ground conditions often distort observations from person to person. Of course many things remain true regardless, but I have a feeling you are ahead of schedule. :cheers:

Albert

I have to agree with Digger on the discrimination. Before I settled on a pattern that suited me better, I used stock coins and was very pleased with the depth. I opened up the screen to hear what was in the ground better, not to gain more depth. You can use discrimination with confidence.

The only thing I have found with disc is that it seems to slow the machine down just a tad as it has to allocate CPU cycles for that calculation. Just a tad but I can tell the difference wide open and disced.

Does your cursor bounce along the top of the screen on most of the falses? If so discing out the area Digger mentioned should help a great deal..

In my opinion, the process isn't slowed down by implementing a higher level of discrimination. It may seem like it, due to having a tone assigned to all targets when using an "open screen" versus the nulling of a rejected target when using discrimination. But when you think of the "null" as being a "silent tone", the timing sequence of a rejected target and an accepted target are far too close (similar) for me to tell a difference. Naturally, the "width" of a tone or the null will vary with target size and target placement. With that said, I do believe there may be a processor "variance" between Low or High Trash and FE or GRD - Coin separation modes. I don't consider it a delay as much as I consider it to be the filtering (timing) required to provide the additional audio and visual information. But again, the difference is negligible and I don't consider it to be proportional to the amount of discrimination implemented. JMHO HH Randy