Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Overlaying images on Google Earth:Part1

LabradorBob

Staff member
With WIndows seven there is a snipping tool that is great for getting captures of maps,whole or sections!

Any questions,feel free to ask.
Harold Reese

Be sure to see Part 2 also Overlaying images on Google Earth.

Thanks Harold. I've been wanting to try this but was having a hard time understanding Google Earth instructions. I'll give your method a try on some old maps that I believe have old adobe sites.Hopefully I can make it work Thanks again.

El

Once you have completed the overlay process, enter the coordinates on your handheld GPS.

I have found cellar holes in deep woods using this method. The GPS will get you within 15-20 feet.

I would say,try to find maps with old houses showing,this will probably be old quadrangle maps.
they are hard to find,i actually have found some on terra server.
http://terraserver-usa.com/
the thing is,you have to know there was an old house there at one time,usually leads you hear from someone.
then look for it on terraserver.
i also compare old maps to newer ones,if a house,Depicted by a tiny black square,shows on an older map,
but not on a newer one,you can bet its not there anymore,but if you know it was there at one time,
do an overlay on google earth,go find it,sometimes,all that will be there is an old cellar hole or foundation.
Hope this helps.
Harold

HI Folks; Thanks Bob. I'm now a new user for this program. have not tried it yet but I know I'll like it. Thanks for your hard work. It's not taken for granted. I'm just returning to detecting after a long time out due to a serious injury and I'm dying to get back in the field. We are frozen in now here in Boston with the snow but it will be digging time in about 10 weeks or so.Gives me a lot of time to do research ha ha.Anyway I will be a constant guest here. Thanks. Its great to be back. PEACE:RONB

Nice tool, thanks for all the info!

You are very welcome.

Thanks,
I was able to overlay the old plat map on top of Google Earth and line it up.
Then I overlayed my Treasure Map over both the above maps
.......Now I can find old and new land marks a lot easier and make pics of them.....

Cool

This is one of the most useful tools I've EVER found! Grab and old topo image, overlay it, and you can get immediate access to all sorts of great stuff. Best of all is you get exact coordinates to old cellar holes! I'm scoring big with this...glad to see the idea being shared.

Yes,If you go to your places section on the left and find it ,Right click on it and choose properties to bring it up again!

Labradorbob

Yes, great stuff.
I'm doing it with old aerial photos, too:

http://menotomymaps.com/projects.asp

great part one....having windows 7 i was able to capture the map i needed easily.
Lots of help you've been.
thanks
Joe

Just noticed LabradorBob's post - awesome information! This is extremely informative - can't wait to explore using this technique. Thank you LabradorBob! People like Harold Reese are a credit to this board.

WOW!!! Thanks so much for this post. I love it. I have found some really great potenial dig sites. Living in Dallas,Tx doesnt offer alot of open dirt but with this ability you can really find some honey holes. I just found another today after hunting a local park. I was wondering what was there before. Historical aerials go back to 1958 and I found that there were once 2 residences in what is now parkland. Guess where Im gonna be the next few time Im at that park. Thanks again

Thanks all for the compliments!

LabradorBob

Bob, I get a warning from microsoft that this is NOT a safe download, and will NOT let me download it. I have windows 7 Home premium 64 bit.....NGE