Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Overlaying images on Google Earth: Part2

LabradorBob

Staff member
Hope this helps,

Harold Reese

Awesome job on the maps and overlapping Bob. I did just what you said and worked like a charm.:clapping: It did take a little while to line my 1850 map of my county up with google earth but I am pretty darn close:surrender: The only problem I am having is with my screen capture. The program worked great but it is not in focus so I cannot see where the cellar holes are and family names etc. Not sure why. But I used the image anyway just to see how the program would work. I will just have to play around a little to get it in focus. :thumbup::thumbup:

Thanks etracjoe,glad you got it,it can be a big help locating areas.
I put a pushpin at the spots i mark,and the coordinates in my gps.
any problems just pm me.
LabradorBob

Bob..... Great tutoral on overlays..... works like a charm and can't thank you enough.
Joe

Awesome information. I'm a little dense so am having a few problems. I've overlayed a map on Google Earth but don't see any of the green features you describe for re-sizing and positioning the overlay. I'd appreciate any suggestions.
Thanks, mac

You probably closed the box that was up on the screen.
Not a problem though, just find your overlay in the Places section on the left side on Google Earth.
Right click it and choose properties at the bottom of the list and it will come back up.
Also if you did not give the overlay a namme it will be listed as untitled overlay.
You give it a name at the top of the box .
any problems let me know.

The map layer process works fine but when I close GE and open it later, my map overlay has a LARGE RED X in the middle of it. Can anyone explain what is happening and how I can delete it?
Thanks
Chuck

Usually you get a large red X if the place you saved the overlay has been moved.
Lets say you have an overlay you want to put on google earth.
you save it to my documents my pictures.
later you decide you want to categorize your overlays, so you make a folder called alabama overlays etc.
and move the file to there.
if you did the overlay while the file was in the my pictures folder, and then moved the file to the alabama overlays folder.
Google earth still thinks it is in the my pictures folder but it cant find it so it displays a red X!

In Google Earth, if you find the overlay in the my places section and right click on it, you can delete it or click properties to open it again.

Let me know if you get it fixed!

Thanks for taking time to respond to my post about the "Red X" problem. I really did not copy the overlay image from a file in a folder but instead took a screen shot of a map on the internet. What I did determine is that the overlays with the Red X in them were all situated along the Mississippi River. The Red X images more inland did not have Red X's. Go Figure? Could it have something to do with flood plains, etc.
Thanks for your help
Chuck

LabradorBob said:
Usually you get a large red X if the place you saved the overlay has been moved.
Lets say you have an overlay you want to put on google earth.
you save it to my documents my pictures.
later you decide you want to categorize your overlays, so you make a folder called alabama overlays etc.
and move the file to there.
if you did the overlay while the file was in the my pictures folder, and then moved the file to the alabama overlays folder.
Google earth still thinks it is in the my pictures folder but it cant find it so it displays a red X!

In Google Earth, if you find the overlay in the my places section and right click on it, you can delete it or click properties to open it again.

Let me know if you get it fixed!

I wouldn't think it would matter where they are, but i saw a topic that says they would not work if saved to your desktop.
another topic said there is a certain file size to use or a file that is not bigger than 16000 x 16000 pixels.
Your video will sometimes display better if you choose open gl, with google earth open ,at the top click tools then options.
at the right of the box that pops up where it says graphics mode, click open GL then apply at the bottom.

I moved an overlay i had on GE , the picture i used. to a different place and re started google earth. sure enough there was a big white box with a big red x in it there.
i moved the image back to where it originally was. restarted GE again and it worked perfect.

i would suggest you put the overlay images in a folder in my documents, then locate them there from google earth and overlay them.
Let me know!

Very good points. I did not open the file thru GE. Also, I never checked the size which I will do. I will try your step of putting them in a folder and open with GE.
Will let you know!

Problem Solved! I followed your advice regarding putting images in separate folders and it worked perfectly on several tries.
Thanks for your help
Chuck

LabradorBob said:
I wouldn't think it would matter where they are, but i saw a topic that says they would not work if saved to your desktop.
another topic said there is a certain file size to use or a file that is not bigger than 16000 x 16000 pixels.
Your video will sometimes display better if you choose open gl, with google earth open ,at the top click tools then options.
at the right of the box that pops up where it says graphics mode, click open GL then apply at the bottom.

I moved an overlay i had on GE , the picture i used. to a different place and re started google earth. sure enough there was a big white box with a big red x in it there.
i moved the image back to where it originally was. restarted GE again and it worked perfect.

i would suggest you put the overlay images in a folder in my documents, then locate them there from google earth and overlay them.
Let me know!

Thanks for info on the Red X problem! I thought it may be an app problem that it could not save the overlay, but I see it was 'user error'!

I have been able to get an old map over laid onto GE and didn't click OK so that I can see the green handles and can set the opaue to were I can see thru the old map. but... trying to line it up with GE takes a long time. I am hoping that one of you guys can help me figure out how to line it up a little easier. I use the X to put the old map on someplace in GE that is the same as on the old map, but when I start widening it , it moves so I have to realign the center again, then I stretch it out from the bottom for example and I have to go to the x and realign it again, I have to keep doing this every time that move any one of the edges or corners. it takes forever to get it close. Is there a better way to do this?
Thanks...

I have been able to get an old map over laid onto GE and didn't click OK so that I can see the green handles and can set the opaue to were I can see thru the old map. but... trying to line it up with GE takes a long time. I am hoping that one of you guys can help me figure out how to line it up a little easier. I use the X to put the old map on someplace in GE that is the same as on the old map, but when I start widening it , it moves so I have to realign the center again, then I stretch it out from the bottom for example and I have to go to the x and realign it again, I have to keep doing this every time that move any one of the edges or corners. it takes forever to get it close. Is there a better way to do this?
Thanks...

I pick land marks and keep messing with it untill they are lined up where i want them.

thanks for your hard work . I ran out of places to detect. so I have been practicing almost everyday. I know it will work . keep up the hard work.