Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Overload talk...Here's what I do, Per Dilek's post

JFlynn

Dilek posted about the overload points and I've been using it since then. Yesterday just happened to walk into another old house lot and needed to drop the gain to reduce the amount of overloads. It's works perfectly in reducing them. Did this off the cuff then realized all the problems or dislikes people have about the overloading. It was captured. No finds in this clip just Racer sounds in trash. Lots of nails and small metal debri is here. Watch the coil movement and when it overloads I'll sweep right back over the same place just coil raised slightly and I get the report for what it is.
https://youtu.be/ve0B_yBaru8

That sound would drive me insane .. Does it make that crazy sound at all sites ???????????
What targets was causing that constant sound ????

Why have all the power if you can't use it ???????? You said you turned the gain way down ...Right ??

Space invaders came to mind :rofl: I do see how cutting down on the sensitivity severely reduced the overload signal.

earthlypotluck said:
Space invaders came to mind :rofl: I do see how cutting down on the sensitivity severely reduced the overload signal.

I would imagine it would reduce the depth as well. So just raise the coil until it sounds like a good target then dig it. I wonder if any of those overload signals were a good shallow target. Never know unless you reduce the sensitivity or raise the coil. Would be a troublesome day of detecting.

Those are "real" carpets of mixed up nails and all kinds of metal. They are laying all over the ground and in the soil matrix. So much metal in the ground it overloads the machine. Not a problem at all just adjust the gain down to the desired point and it cuts way back on the overloading. Depth is not any problem per the amount of trash in the ground. You only need to be able to get 3-4 inches or a little more. You're not even going to be able to detect that with any machine in that stuff. The Turk machines do very well. This is the kind of stuff we hunt. The house has been there for a 100 yrs. Looks like the house before it burned possibly too. So besides the demolition trash you have 100 plus yr old unhunted ground. Most all of it Revolutionary right thru when the houses were built that would stop the depositing of good stuff. 2 Much Trash the reducing of the gain on the Turk machines doesn't have that much effect as with the machines we have been running up till now. Again depth is not what you want here, being able to see good metal in this trash is where these machines shine like a beacon. If you look close at that video and most of the sweeps I'll get an overload then when I go back across it I've raised the coil slightly and get the report. Trust me most all machines can't even operate here, we've tried. A potatoe rake comes along for the truck ride in the morning. Scrape back a small area then detect. Actually this demolition company did a very sloppy job leaving a lot of big stuff on top. They will and have to haul out the polluted dirt and replace it with good dirt before rebuilding. More videos tomorrow, should be some good finds with the rake working the soil.

JFlynn, that is a great idea with the rake!

Just not sure I could take that overload weird sound all the time. I see the merits of the detector ..It isolates good targets .. and seems to have decent depths.

I just don't like the sounds Jeff ......... If there is a way to overcome the overload I just think it would be a more pleasant experience is really what I am saying..

....................and my question was does it do that everywhere ?............ or just in high trash areas ..not such an odd question I wouldn't think. I am trying to learn about the racer.

Elton said:
Just not sure I could take that overload weird sound all the time. I see the merits of the detector ..It isolates good targets .. and seems to have decent depths.

I just don't like the sounds Jeff ......... If there is a way to overcome the overload I just think it would be a more pleasant experience is really what I am saying..

....................and my question was does it do that everywhere ?............ or just in high trash areas ..not such an odd question I wouldn't think. I am trying to learn about the racer.

In areas where there are many surface targets the Racer will overload more. In settings where most trash is 2 -3 inches deep not many overloads. Larger iron though will overload even at moderate depths at times. My deus will as well btw. Hunting areas loaded with trash/iron takes great patience no matter the detector. I mean you can even run etracs/CTXs in some of these spots, granted you won't get overloads, instead a lot of nulling. And nulling means you're not likely to lock on to a good target. And a Racer may not be for everyone. Just one note, don't be surprised to see someone hunt with a Racer behind you if you decide to hunt with something else and make some good finds. Not bragging or pimping the Racer, just the facts. I mean I'm hunting behind myself using CTX, Deus, F75LTD2 with a CoRe and Racer and busting my own backside. Better to do that though than have someone else do it. LOL

Sounds to me like they just don't have the electronics down pat yet. Seems to me they could add a filtering circuit to handle the overload problem. I don't have one and probably won't until I read where the overload problem is solved. For me you can't make the overload sound be a good thing. When they solve it I will probably be trying one.

Elton said:
That sound would drive me insane .. Does it make that crazy sound at all sites ???????????
What targets was causing that constant sound ????

Why have all the power if you can't use it ???????? You said you turned the gain way down ...Right ??

[size=large]correction to my post Should have read why have all that non usable power if it causes overloads on any machine.. Not just a racer to clarify..[/size]

I don't think you have to take the batteries out to get rid of the overload though. Don't get me wrong I am not trying to play the racer down I just want it fixed before I buy one. Sure most machines can overload but just not to the degree I am reading about with the Racer

For some reason overload just seems to make some wary, Makro calls it saturation. I feel very sure that if the machine did what most do and just do not see the stuff these see there would not be any skepticism. Plus the saturation sound is a bit alarming, Why they picked that one I don't know. I ran the CTX today in a place close to that and it stayed in overload or either nulled out. Couldn't even hunt with it. These are very sensitive machines, more than you can realize until you run one for a while. That is what makes them what they are. Believe me there's nothing to be fixed on them, they are what they are. Just hope you don't get the opportunity to hunt behind someone running one. Better yet hope somebody doesn't hunt behind you with one. Very telling machines not about the detectorist but the other machines on the market, don't care what they cost. People can naysay all they want or want it changed but that would be a HUGE mistake with what I've seen from the CoRe and the Racer.

Well now. Do you see Keith Southern selling his Racer? Nope He's actually bought a second. Jack Flynn selling his Racer??Nope he did sell Deus though!!! You see me selling my Racer??? Nope Do you see Monte selling what looks like 2 Racers??? Nope actually it seems they are his weapons of choice. Do you see a trend?? Yep The Racer performs it seems. And the veteran detectorists like them!!! Surely they all can't be wrong!!! Wonder what they are seeing??? Folks you can sit back and arm chair criticize these babies all day and night long. You must be interested or you wouldn't be posting. Just pony up and get you one, then you'll know. Very handy tool in the tool chest.

Hey you forgot about me even no I would not sell my Deus and it is the first detector I hunt with I like bringing the Racer along and let it do its thing...the best way I can tell you what I think about the racer is I trust it and like it..

Thank you for the mention but yeah it is fun and I have not even really pushed it yet but i'm making videos of some of the finds, may edit it next week for a post....