Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

PC Mapping and your computer (PC v Apple)

CDDZ said:
earthmansurfer said:
rmcsandhurst said:
Southwind said:
Sorry but it is just simple economics.

PC users = 52% population
MAC users = 25% population
OTHER user 23% population

Point taken but the potential loss of 25% of sales is not the best news for a manufacturer.

Also, do these statistics apply to users of high end detectors?

Dave

I take it the other way Dave as 25% is a huge number, I think it's off actually and much lower. Mac users often make a bit more money than PC users (overall I mean). I don't think Southwinds numbers are right though. The first quarter of this year had Apple taking 11% or so of PC shipments and before this year it was even lower so I don't see how it could be 25% overall. Anyway, back to my point, the people who own Macs might have a higher income in general and are perhaps more likely to be able to afford a CTX3030. Even if that isn't the case, we are talking simple software for the most part. It shouldn't be much work on Minelab's part. Would be nice, please Minelab - one programmer around a week or less of time.

Albert
Your reasoning is flawed. How can you state that Mac users in general make more money than PC users? You are assuming. When was the last time you seen a highly overclocked water cooled Mac? Have you not seen the prices of some of the video cards? I own many PC's, as well as many Mac products. I prefer PC over mac for everyday use. LOL I just think that the hardcore Mac users want to think they make more money than us Mac users. Just as there are fan boys for all makes of detectors, same for computers. Just use parallel for you mac... maybe there will be an app for that. I would love to see an app to use on my iPhone
Chad

Mac users more affluent

More Study

Directly from the report:

I know, at least in our little part of the world, our college made the mistake of having all MAC's. Hum, wonder if the teacher owning the local Apple store had any influence? Anyway, all the students were being taught on MAC but in the real world were needing to be using a Windows based PC. A lot of complaints finally got that fixed so that the students are now taught on what they will more than likely be using. Point is, many colleges have/had the same issue so you would of course end up with the college educated owning a MAC simply because that is what there school had them use.

In the end what matters is MAC doesn't even come close to the same number of users so making the CTX 3030 Windows compatible would only be smart business. Of course including Apple support would be even smarter.

What you should be focusing on is what format the data is in, not how many pcs or macs are used in the world.

If the raw data can be imported / used by readily available mapping programs, be it windows, mac or linux, it does not matter what the os is.

It only matters that the data is in a format usable to the underlying operating system.

patg51 said:
What you should be focusing on is what format the data is in, not how many pcs or macs are used in the world.

If the raw data can be imported / used by readily available mapping programs, be it windows, mac or linux, it does not matter what the os is.

It only matters that the data is in a format usable to the underlying operating system.

Well true, but E-Trac exchange is software and we're not sure if that is the interface. Even if it is not the interface and you can import tha data straight into google maps, you would still have the problem of the exchange software overall. I'll look into emulation or the like, or just use my girlfriend windows box.