Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

PC Mapping and your computer (PC v Apple)

rmcsandhurst

If, as suggested in another member's post, one will be dumping a "PC Mapping Log" to one's computer - will this only work with Windows based machines? Many of us use Apple Macs:clapping:

Dave

Just noticed that I have been a member of this site for some time without making posts:thumbdown:

Must get my quill out more often:)

Dave

I have a Mac and my girlfriend a Windows. Please don't force me to use her machine. ;-)

I would guess that the pc mapping log file wouild be a data dump.

They may supply a basic program to interpret / view the data.

If they are smart (and I hope they are) they will provide the dumped data in a format that is usable to existing gps mapping programs. They would then list the programs the data is compatible with and you would select a program for yourself.

If done this way, then the data should be useable on windows, mac or linux (my preferred os).

Sorry but it is just simple economics.

PC users = 52% population
MAC users = 25% population
OTHER user 23% population

Southwind said:

Point taken but the potential loss of 25% of sales is not the best news for a manufacturer.

Also, do these statistics apply to users of high end detectors?

Dave

Dumping the gps data to a file has nothing to do with the operating system on which it will be processed.

If the data is in a predefined standard format, then any program on any operating system that understands that format can use the dumped data.

From the http://www.topofusion.com/gpx.php website.

GPX Maps

Welcome to TopoFusion's free GPS data pages. GPX is an open GPS data exchange format. It is the primary data format used by TopoFusion and other GPS mapping programs. The following GPS maps are in GPX format and can be viewed with any GPX capable program. You may need to select Save as.. in your browser to download the files.

More than likely the tracks and finds data will be compatable with Google Earth which everyone has access to.

Nobody who know anything can tell anything before Friday so it's kinda pointless to ask at this point of time. An on Friday you'll be able to see for yourself.

But likely PC Mapping will be some sort of software to handle the GPS data output from the detector. The name could indicate the it's only for PC but might as well just be used a generic term. "Computer Mapping" would sound pretty oldschool and a bit long.

Personally I'm more interested in how the GPS is set up and the options there since I have no problem using the "raw" data but it's a bit of a pain if it need to be converted or don't give the option for marking finds the "right" way.

If that works it's pretty easy to make stuff like this (borrowed from someone since I don't map tracks so far):

[attachment 232014 fig_1-glenn.jpg]

rmcsandhurst said:
Southwind said:

Point taken but the potential loss of 25% of sales is not the best news for a manufacturer.

Dave

I take it the other way Dave as 25% is a huge number, I think it's off actually and much lower. Mac users often make a bit more money than PC users (overall I mean). I don't think Southwinds numbers are right though. The first quarter of this year had Apple taking 11% or so of PC shipments and before this year it was even lower so I don't see how it could be 25% overall. Anyway, back to my point, the people who own Macs might have a higher income in general and are perhaps more likely to be able to afford a CTX3030. Even if that isn't the case, we are talking simple software for the most part. It shouldn't be much work on Minelab's part. Would be nice, please Minelab - one programmer around a week or less of time.

Albert

Thanks guys - I'm no IT expert (more a virgin) but it sounds as if any problems are not going to be insurmountable.

I look forward to Friday:wiggle:

Dave

Actually I believe my numbers are more than generous. Wiki has it like this

Windows 87%
Apple OS X 6.7%
Linux 1.0%

And BGR BGR

Windows 91.86%
MAC 6.94%
Linux 1.19%
SUN 0.0%

Yep, if ML didn't go the way of some proprietary format and allow users to get the tracks/waypoints out of the machine in open *.GPX format, there's a plethora of apps that Mac users have access to. I can only hope it's like that - I usually do not bother to change the patterns in the field when I am out on hunting with my E-Trac, just write the VID's down on paper and tweaking the pattern over E-Trac Xchange and every time I do that I have to ask my wife to "lend" me her laptop as I cannot install Xchange on my MBP/Air... :cry:

They do make Windows emulator programs for Mac's that allow you to run Windows software on Mac's. Its always an option. Some are even free.

When you look at those numbers, remember that those include the installed business machines, also. We're discussing platforms used by hobbyists, not businesses. This is why the 50/27/23 is no as skewed as it might seem. Interestingly, the last data I saw, showed Apple as the largest computer manufacturer. But, that's because there are so many companies making Window's based machines.

The point may be moot anyway. If MineLab has any sense, and, it seems they have a lot, GPS and mapping features will translate into Google and be cross platform.

HH

Gemini13 said:
They do make Windows emulator programs for Mac's that allow you to run Windows software on Mac's. Its always an option. Some are even free.

Fully aware of that. It's about "purity" and my rigiddness to install anything on my MBP/Air that has something to do with Microsoft (and witnessing "blue death screen again"...). In fact I have been able to find even better alternatives of all the progs I have used on my PC - except for E-Trac's exchange (and MP3 tagging)...

earthmansurfer said:
rmcsandhurst said:
Southwind said:

Dave

I take it the other way Dave as 25% is a huge number, I think it's off actually and much lower. Mac users often make a bit more money than PC users (overall I mean). I don't think Southwinds numbers are right though. The first quarter of this year had Apple taking 11% or so of PC shipments and before this year it was even lower so I don't see how it could be 25% overall. Anyway, back to my point, the people who own Macs might have a higher income in general and are perhaps more likely to be able to afford a CTX3030. Even if that isn't the case, we are talking simple software for the most part. It shouldn't be much work on Minelab's part. Would be nice, please Minelab - one programmer around a week or less of time.

Albert
Your reasoning is flawed. How can you state that Mac users in general make more money than PC users? You are assuming. When was the last time you seen a highly overclocked water cooled Mac? Have you not seen the prices of some of the video cards? I own many PC's, as well as many Mac products. I prefer PC over mac for everyday use. LOL I just think that the hardcore Mac users want to think they make more money than us Mac users. Just as there are fan boys for all makes of detectors, same for computers. Just use parallel for you mac... maybe there will be an app for that. I would love to see an app to use on my iPhone
Chad

I think he is probably trying to use the idea that the majority of graphics & Audio company's use a MAC due to it having more graphic/CAD applications than PC based computers. I agree that was the norm some years back but not so much any more.

I'm a Network Administrator on the 2nd largest private network in the world and not a single MAC on our network unless it is using a Windows emulator.