Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Pinpoint fade-out

bklein

You know how pinpoint fades out as you sweep over the target? And you have to re-engauge it again to keep working? Does it have to fade out? Could Minelab have kept it consistent? They write about it like it is a feature and I find it annoying.

bklein said:
You know how pinpoint fades out as you sweep over the target? And you have to re-engauge it again to keep working? Does it have to fade out? Could Minelab have kept it consistent? They write about it like it is a feature and I find it annoying.

No, it's configurable.

Go into menu and enable "pinpoint sizing"

:)
mike

Edit:
Pinpoint 'normal' is a SAT (self adjusting threshold) auto-tune mode of pin-pointing. Good for people who can't be educated to move the coil off the target before engaging pinpoint.
Pinpoint 'sizing' is a Non-SAT mode of operation. Good for people who want to get a good size/depth feel of the target before digging. IMHO, a much better way to pinpoint.

Barry,
Don't forget that since it's not a global option, you'll have to load and edit EACH mode/program you use/run in order to choose 'Pinpoint Sizing'...for each one.

For those others readers that don't edit often, it's the very last line in each Mode's options.
It simply says 'Pinpoint', and your two choices are 'Sizing' and 'Normal'. ('Normal' is factory default...we don't want that.)

(Also note that the Edit option is grayed out for every mode except the loaded/current mode. You must first select/load a mode, then go back and choose 'Edit' once it's loaded. It's a fair bit of hassle, and way too much button pushing IMO.)

Once you choose 'Pinpoint Sizing', (and get back to that mode's operating screen) you should be able to hold down the pinpoint button, then hold a dime in a fixed position close to the coil and hear no volume fading...at all.
Well, maybe in a couple of hours, but your hands will eventually get tired holding everything while waiting for the volume to change.

If it does quickly fade, the mode you're in is still set to Pinpoint Normal.

(Of course, anyone who has also enabled 'Pinpoint Lock' won't have to hold down the pinpoint button to pinpoint, or test. It just toggles it on/off. Particularly useful if you feel lazy, like me.)
:)
mike

Note that; All of the above assumes I understood your original question correctly...I'll freely admit I may not have. :confused:

Hmmm. Yeah I use the lock too. I’ll have to revisit this. To be honest, I got so frustrated with pp that I normally just use the wiggle back method and it does the job.
Now I have an equinox and it works (or doesn’t work) differently. I made a video of this on my youtube channel. Not sure if I had the new fw at that time though.

Excellent direction Mike and while it all seems to be a very long description of how to use the function CORRECTLY,it gets very easy once learned. That’s where(and Barry I am NOT referring to you) some people just don’t grasp all of what this machine has to offer and they say &@$# it and move on. ML has included just about every conceivable way to provide information good enough to dig the sketchiest of targets,but it takes a lot of time to realize the usefulness of each and every one. THEN...putting a couple,a few,most or ALL of them together with what’s in the operators “mental toolbox” regarding what HAS been found here,what SHOULD be here because of “X”...the positive aspects of the trash to treasure ratio become quite undeniable. PP Sizing has been invaluable in my own hunting. Even if it takes an entire hunt to practice with it and then using it on every few targets to keep it fresh in the mind, it is well worth the extra few seconds to AVOID digging a clunker. Of course,this is all spoken from a “coin hunting perspective”....

I suspect I had it in coin mode as it wasn’t set to sizing. I only use coin mode when there are no targets and I go work the dry sand with it occasionally.
Another thing is the coin on edge thing. I checked a quarter today and it can be basically silent on normal or pinpoint if completely vertical. Just a curiosity not a complaint as the Equinox obviously has the traight too. Must be a characteristic of the DD coil.

bklein said:
Must be a characteristic of the DD coil.

:thumbup:
The DD coil definitely accentuates the issue...and makes it worse...but all detectors have various issues with coins on edge.

Most concentrics aren't as badly affected, as their detection field is typically/essentially a symmetrical rounded bullet nose shape.
Whereas the DD has detection field shaped more like a sharp vertical 'pita pocket', to allow better separation/isolation of targets.

What I think made the EQ even more sensitive to target orientation, was the design of the EQ's DD coil has a much narrower DD overlap area, (or sharper aperture) than most DD coils...including the CTX.
That has advantages when separating multiple close signals in trashy areas due to the narrower detection field 'slice', but everything in electronic design is trade-off and compromise....

The fact that Minelab could address that issue in firmware was actually pretty cool.

I think the philosophy of the CTX solution was more along the lines of showing everything under the coil with target trace...rather than isolating each signal.
That makes for a more extensive (and perhaps expensive) display...but I like it.

mike

The EQ with 1.75 seems to have virtually rotated the problem coin orientation 90 degrees.
How does a pi with perhaps a mono coil do with this? A pi starts to look better and better for the beach as long as not too many bobby-pins and nails. The CTX is great at eliminating those.