Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Pinpoint gotchas

bklein

I discovered that that you really have to pay attention to where the coil is when you initiate pinpoint.
Also the ID number is whatever it was when you initiated the pinpoint (not the target ID).
[video]https://youtu.be/bQXYW0_moQ4[/video]

Also one must remember to turn the PinPoint function OFF before starting to search again.

I love the push ON and push OFF it has made PP easier for me. And yes, where one turns it ON does make a difference.

Again,I don’t have the EQ but I’d imagine it’s this way with about any DD machine...which is why using the wiggle back method seems to be more reliable. I’ve never had much luck,no matter how small of a coil,trying to pinpoint a good target in the trash. I’d have to assume that once in pinpoint,it’s also in all metal,which causes it to latch onto anything around,so having it located almost exactly with wiggling back to start with is paramount so why even use the PP function? UNLESS.....the PP function operates differently than I thought and I’ve been doing it wrong for years,which is completely possible.

The wiggle drag back doesn't work very well on the Nox, it has a halo and a coin can be 4" off the coil when the sound of the target stops, not like other machines that stop sounding off right at the edge of the coil.

My 600 11" coil is dead on center when pinpointing most of the time I don't use the pinpoint button I locate the target with the strongest signal move 90 degrees do the same and it's right under the center of the coil.

Digger 45 said:
The wiggle drag back doesn't work very well on the Nox, it has a halo and a coin can be 4" off the coil when the sound of the target stops, not like other machines that stop sounding off right at the edge of the coil.

It sounds to me through all of the reading I’m doing that they really increased the TX signal. Just a guess,and could explain it grabbing a target that far away if it really does. That would annoy the &$#@ out of me.

u2robert said:
My 600 11" coil is dead on center when pinpointing most of the time I don't use the pinpoint button I locate the target with the strongest signal move 90 degrees do the same and it's right under the center of the coil.

X2

Carolina

u2robert said:
+3! On a side note: when I do use the pinpoint button, I also "X" the target.

I found that if you press pinpoint with the TID showing of the target that you think you have or close to that number, you appear to get a better/quicker result in pinpointing. My Xterra 705 does something similar which is called pinpoint sizing where you press pinpoint near the target (not on target...it'll be blanked out if you do as mentioned in the XTerra 705 documentation) but not on the target and then the window of pinpoint is within that TID. A full response pinpoint sizing would be when you have no TID showing on the detector and you have a wider scan range of the pinpointing.

I could be wrong but it felt that way. Be pretty easy to test so I might try it out next time I am detecting.

NCtoad said:
+3! On a side note: when I do use the pinpoint button, I also "X" the target.

+4. I rarely find the need to use the pin point function. Hot spot is in the center of the coil. Xing the target works well. I use the PP function for sizing.

Dean

I find that shallower targets (about 2.5" and up) are often harder to pinpoint, especially dimes. I still only have about 4-5 short hunts on my Nox 600, but I still have some issues with pinpointing from time to time.

I "X" the target, but sometimes it is just way off. I am purposely digging holes bigger by about an extra 1-2 inch in diameter until I really get used to the machine.

CS

After owning and using over 20 different machines, the 'Nox is unique in its razor sharp PP. I don't use it all that often because of the easy recovery hunting I usually do, but I have confidence it is exactly where it indicates. It sure would have been nice to have the ID working or even a super depth reading, but I am going just fine as it is.

In a trash filled area, my machine is hitting so many targets, it can be hard to pin point. But, if you practice enough, you will get a good idea of "ABOUT" where the target is.

After all, I'm digging a hole, and I won't be far off anyways. I'll dig to China if I have to, lol. The machine hits target very well at good depth. The only thing I dislike about the machine is the number's being so jumpy, and the depth meter is quirky, IMO.

But it is winning me over on a few things, and it continues to impress.

I like the Nox, overall--it has many good points--but I do NOT find the Nox's pinpointer that great. It often "sticks" (tone stays on even when coil is raised off ground); and even on coin-sized targets, the tone will often stay on for a couple feet in a lateral direction (happens more often back and forth than up and down), making it useless. I have cross-checked it against the Etrac on the same targets and the Etrac is much better behaved. .