Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Pinpointer Compatibility

Hi Neil, I recieved the minelab probe a couple of weeks ago and I'm not sure what you mean about the minelab pinpointer not interfering with your detector. I have an MXT Pro and when I am detecting and I find a target, I turn on the minelab pinpointer to find the target and my MXT Pro starts making all kinds of noise (interference). I have to either take my headphones off or turn off the detector so that I don't hear the interference from the probe. When the minelab pinpointer probe is off everything is back to normal. Could I have recieved a bad minelab pinpointer? Thanks. Al

I think Minelab's claim on interference is a little misleading.............. I think it will not interfere with the Minelab detectors and some others, but certainly not all.

Nah, I'll stick to my Garrett's Propointer. . . If it ain't broke, don't fix it!

If I wave the Minelab near the V3i it will interfere, but for the most part I have no interference from it.

The ML pretty much looks, feels, and works about the same the Garrett. The 9 volt battery drops in the same way with the same sort of cover, both have sealed rubber on/off switchs, the ML has sealed rubber High/Low switch, both have vibrate & sound but you can turn off the sound on the ML, both have LED lights, and the ML in High mode distance is almost identical to the Garrett. ML has the High/Low switch that turns on in High mode and you can lower it when you get closer to the target to aid in zeroing in on it. The Garrett de-tunes also by keeping it in the hole and turning it off and then on again, then you can also zero in on the target. I see no practical difference between them other than the Garrett has already been Field Proven by a lot of us and costs less. Minelab has no chance of competing with Garrett until they lower their price so it is the same as the propointer's.

Minelab has no chance of competing with Garrett until they lower their price so it is the same as the propointer's.

[size=large]My opinion also.[/size]

Each has their benefits. The Minelab does not interfere with the detector as much as the Garrett, but i have gotten into the habit of hitting the menu key when I am pinpointing anyway. It also has an auto off feature, and will beep periodically if left behind to prevent loss.

I think the Garrett is a bit more solid feeling, the vibrate is better, and it's a bit easier to use because while the Minelab is sensitive all around, the Garrett is only sensitive along the blade. For this reason, The ML a may be more difficult to pinpoint a coin on the side of a small hole.

Neil in West Jersey said:
There is a big difference in the technology. The Garrett Propointer is a PI (Pulse Induction) detector, while the Minelab Pro-Find is VLF (Very Low Frequency). For this reason the Garrett will detect mineralization and will sound off when a bit of pressure is applied.

I did not notice any falsing with the Minelab at all.

Never mind - someone else already pointed out that it is VLF @ 12Khz, sorry for the redundent post.

Neil in West Jersey said:
Each has their benefits. The Minelab does not interfere with the detector as much as the Garrett, but i have gotten into the habit of hitting the menu key when I am pinpointing anyway. It also has an auto off feature, and will beep periodically if left behind to prevent loss.

I think the Garrett is a bit more solid feeling, the vibrate is better, and it's a bit easier to use because while the Minelab is sensitive all around, the Garrett is only sensitive along the blade. For this reason, The ML a may be more difficult to pinpoint a coin on the side of a small hole.

The Garrett also has 360 degree sensitivity along the barrel (as per the propointer page on Garrett's website) though anyone who has used one for any length of time should have discovered this by themselves already. Where are you getting your info about the Propointer? where ever it is, it does not seem very accurate.

As far as interference goes I have used a lot of detectors with my Propointer and haven't noticed any any unusual interference problems. Among the ones I have used with it are: DFX, VX3, Garrett GTI-1500, AT Pro, Minelab Explorer XS, Explorer SE Pro, Xterra 705 (using all three frequencies), Fisher 1266, F75, Teknetics T2, T2SE (both in normal and boost modes), Delta, Headhunter PI Pro, & a Ground Hawk, of course none of them operate at the 12Khz frequency that the Propointer uses so I wouldn't expect any crosstalk.

You can add the Sovereign and Etrac to the list of machines the Pro Pointer doesn't mess with. If for some reason a FBS machine isn't being bothered with it (haven't heard that though) just do a noise cancel with the Pro Pointer on and it should take care of the problem by changing channels. Only machines I've seen mention problems with the Pro Pointer are the M6 and MXT. Anybody know of any others that the Pro Pointer messes with? Forgive me if this has already been mentioned in this thread but I ran across a blurb somewhere that the Minelab is still giving the M6/MXT some issues I think?