Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Pinpointers

We have a different perception of pinpointers. To me a pinpointer will pinpoint, that knocks out those that detect a 360 Deg. , and leaves the XP MI6 and the whites that is no longer available. I hate digging to China, only to find the target was right next to the hole.

So can you still purchase them new or not available anymore
I haven't seen a new one for sale for a long time. It seems pretty rare to find a used one for sale but it does happen. The last one I saw on the big auction sight went for around $300 or about double the price of new. I emailed Garrett to try to bring it back into production but received no response.

that knocks out those that detect a 360 Deg.
The advantage of 360 is scanning a big pile of dirt. When placed horizontally, it locates over a fairly large area. Then you raise it to vertical to narrow it down and push the button to retune to an even smaller area. When I use a shovel and pull out a clump of dirt, the target is quicker to find with 360. The target signal is larger at first but can be narrowed down quickly. However the two you mention are my favorites. Most of my recoveries are in the grass with a screwdriver and the TRX and MI6 tell me exactly where to probe. They also tell me that if the detector finds it but the PP doesn't, that it is too deep to dig with a screwdriver.

Well thats why i look at how they all work and they are not the same. For example there is a good youtube video comparison of the Noxta and Carrot.
Each have their own characteristics depending what you like.
Nokta just beeps when close but so sensitive it detects pretty far especially at the tip. The carrot beeps stronger and faster the closer you are to the target.
To me that is more of pinpointing like a detector in pinpoint mode as you get closer it beeps faster or louder so better idea where and what direction to go vs just beeping within a few inches and it could be 360 degrees in any direction even deeper around it. Just a very small coil at that point that you can fit in the hole . But it will detect further and deeper at the tip. Also more prone to false.
And so many little differences where the speaker is, the buttons etc all preferences at that point but to me mainly i want it to pinpoint and the fact that it gets louder and faster the closer you are decreases your digging and time the main point of having one and a selling point.
For example you move to one side of the hole and it increases and decreases on the other you know its in that side where it increases. same with depth go down increases its deeper.
Accuracy should be more important then sensitivity and range in pinpointers in my opinion. Some people get caught up in that how deep and far will it detect well just use your coil at that point

I haven't seen a new one for sale for a long time. It seems pretty rare to find a used one for sale but it does happen. The last one I saw on the big auction sight went for around $300 or about double the price of new. I emailed Garrett to try to bring it back into production but received no response.

The advantage of 360 is scanning a big pile of dirt. When placed horizontally, it locates over a fairly large area. Then you raise it to vertical to narrow it down and push the button to retune to an even smaller area. When I use a shovel and pull out a clump of dirt, the target is quicker to find with 360. The target signal is larger at first but can be narrowed down quickly. However the two you mention are my favorites. Most of my recoveries are in the grass with a screwdriver and the TRX and MI6 tell me exactly where to probe. They also tell me that if the detector finds it but the PP doesn't, that it is too deep to dig with a screwdriver.
$300 is quite a bit for one they don’t even make anymore and out of business. I would think there is no warranty anymore even on a new one.

Regardless of re-tuning, I do not consider the carrot a pinpointer, it is an area locator. A GPS will do a better job, after all it gets a signal from space and will put you within 10 feet of your target. I would rather use a screwdriver to retrieve a shallow target, with the carrot I poke everywhere for 5 m-10 min before the target is found, with the MI6 less that 60 seconds. With the carrot I need to dig a huge hole, then break the sod in pieces. So if my goal is to spend 2 hours detecting I waste most of my time when using the carrot. Now that Garrett has the Whites patents, perhaps they will bring back the trx

Regardless of re-tuning, I do not consider the carrot a pinpointer, it is an area locator. A GPS will do a better job, after all it gets a signal from space and will put you within 10 feet of your target. I would rather use a screwdriver to retrieve a shallow target, with the carrot I poke everywhere for 5 m-10 min before the target is found, with the MI6 less that 60 seconds. With the carrot I need to dig a huge hole, then break the sod in pieces. So if my goal is to spend 2 hours detecting I waste most of my time when using the carrot. Now that Garrett has the Whites patents, perhaps they will bring back the trx
Its not just the retuning though.
It actually increases in tone and beeps faster the closer you get and decreases the further you move away. To me that is actually pinpointing and helping with accuracy not just one monotone no matter if you are 1/4 inch or three inches away.
That really only gives you an area and is not as helpful

This Pinpointer will help you find the right location without damaging the treasure, so using this pinpointer will reduce the risk of damage to your items. I used this pinpointer and I was very pleased with the results.
And it keeps you from sifting thru the dirt recovery time is cut in half

Not sure if this is the right thread but not only trying to decide on a new detector after years of new ones coming out and old ones gone with different technology but now what pin-pointers are good in say the $100 price range
I read all kinds of pointers i never heard of, pI vs vlf, all kinds of brands, technology
I enjoy my minelab profind 35... an tip.. if you tap a piece of stainless wire.. or wear a stainless less ring.. in the hand where you grip your pinpointer.pinpointed.. you ve amazed how improved the signal is .. old timer tip I was taught

So Garret bought the rights to whites technology? Probably so nobody would use it to build something to compete with them more than using it to make something different but will see
I believe Garret owns whites
mark

I own a MI6 and have for 5 years great pinpointer only charging can be an issue I’ve had in my car it will only fully charge on ac or at home for me

Wonder if gold ring will effect it
If you take a piece of metal like a nickel or gold ring and place it near the top and then move it toward the tip eventually you will find it gives a signal. If you back it up a very slight amount until it goes quiet, you have increased the sensitivity considerably. I read of this trick years ago, it was posted by Revier. He would just move his hand with the gold ring on it to increase its depth. If a signal is too deep for you Carrot, try this out. I used to use a coin to slide up and down the side. I have heard of some people who taped a piece of metal to the pointer for the same effect.

If you take a piece of metal like a nickel or gold ring and place it near the top and then move it toward the tip eventually you will find it gives a signal. If you back it up a very slight amount until it goes quiet, you have increased the sensitivity considerably. I read of this trick years ago, it was posted by Revier. He would just move his hand with the gold ring on it to increase its depth. If a signal is too deep for you Carrot, try this out. I used to use a coin to slide up and down the side. I have heard of some people who taped a piece of metal to the pointer for the same effect.
Hmm
Years ago I used to put a thin copper ring on mine.
Something I found detecting actually.
Would slide it up or down to adjust the sensitivity on an old whites pinpointer.
Wondering if that's that same.

I used to use a Vibraprobe 570 which only detected at the tip.
It worked great, but I got interference with my detectors when it was on and it was automatic off after one minute of no detection of metal, which I did not care for.
It also could be de sensitized since it had to held upright to turn on.
I later bought an original Propointer in 2009 that I am still using to this day.
Since it also detected up along the sides, it took a little getting used to, but I really like it… no interference at all with any detector and the on off button is great for using in mineralized soil.
Another thing I like about it is the way the battery connects… no wires probably like many others pinpointers now, but the Vibraprobe had a wired connector.