Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Pinpointing OMG

I just bought my EQ800 and it came with the update. I took it out to a small park, not very trashy and was finding clad. But pinpointing was horrible. I tried the minilab wiggle, and using the pinpoint button. I was digging holes much, much larger than I ever have with any other machine I have ever owned. It was horrible. Huge holes for a penny. I was exhausted by the end of a 2 hour hunt. What is going on or what am I doing wrong.

Not sure, I have been having great luck and I seldom even use the pinpoint feature. Maybe you are too sensitive and it is hitting between your good signal and small pieces of foil or junk. You might try some practice digs in a sandy area and see if you can get the sweet spot figured out. Let us know what you try and how you get along.

Don
HH

I quit using the new firmware for pinpointing causing me to dig much bigger holes. Ver 1.5 pinpoints much better for me. I bet you'll agree if you load 1.5.

Is there that much of a difference in pin pointing between both softwares?

Were your recovered coins 'on-edge?'
Sounds like it!

Tip
Use your probe device ( if you have one ) at Full Sens to scour the surface before digging!

As trojdor asked, how deep were the coins you were digging?

I am guessing they were shallow, hence your problem. You will figure this out before long, but the EQX coils are VERY hot around the edges. Thus, you'll pick up a 2-3" deep coin with the edges of the coil, as WELL as the middle. And sometimes, you are hitting a coil with the edge of the coil, and then digging a hole based on the center of the coil -- and thus missing the coin by several inches. It's EASY to do, when you are starting out with the EQX, but you'll get the hang of it before long. It's due to the sensitivity of the coil edges.

Steve

Just got mine (800) last week with the latest update 11/18 and seems to be spot on pinpointing.

Exactly what Steve (sgoss66) mentions. :thumbup:

I have the latest software and don't have any issues with pinpointing I usually pinpoint left to right in disc mode without pressing the PP button. I then scratch a north/ south line line in the dirt about 12" long. Then step to the side and do the same drawing an east/west line. X marts the spot. Another way using the PP button listen for loudest signal left to right, then push and pull coil with the PP button held until the cursors come up around the at meet at the top of the screen. Target will be right under the rod mounting point on the coil.

1st are you coming from a double d or concentric ? This double d perfoms just like my other minelab double d coils just a little hotter on the outer edges.
2nd try raising your coil slowly as you sweep over the target it will help identify large targets as well as shallow coins that can respond with a double beep or response. Proprely done your target will narrow up. Try it with a coin on the surface.

There is an odd chance you might have issues with your coil/detector I havent seen any, can you try someone elses machine? perhaps a club member.
Jeff

When I get a new detector I always practice with the pinpointing using the following technique. Take a piece of cardboard, say letter size, and tape a dime to the back. Turn the cardboard over so you don't see the dime. Locate it with your detector and then attempt to pinpoint the dime. Take a pin and push it into the cardboard. If you hit the dime, great. If not, make a note of how much you missed it by and then do it again. After a few of these practice pinpoints you shouldn't have any more trouble with pinpointing.

Personally I have had no issues with pinpointing on my 800 with either software version but I have practiced my dime technique many times just to say on top of my game so to speak.

Bill

I have the latest update and do not have problems with pinpointing. I use the wiggle and bring the coil towards me. The target will be in the center of the coil at the toe of the coil when the signal stops. This is the same procedure that I have used on all my DD coils. I very seldom use the pinpoint function on any detector as I do not find it necessary. When I get a hit, I make real short swings, maybe 6 to 7 inches and that also helps the Nox to lock onto a target and raise the coil to determine size. It takes some practice but gives good information. Oh, I am a coin shooter in trashy parks as there are no relics or old places to hunt where I live. So, your type of hunting may differ and retrieval methods may also differ. Keep practicing and good luck!

James/Texas said:
I have the latest update and do not have problems with pinpointing. I use the wiggle and bring the coil towards me. The target will be in the center of the coil at the toe of the coil when the signal stops. This is the same procedure that I have used on all my DD coils. I very seldom use the pinpoint function on any detector as I do not find it necessary. When I get a hit, I make real short swings, maybe 6 to 7 inches and that also helps the Nox to lock onto a target and raise the coil to determine size. It takes some practice but gives good information. Oh, I am a coin shooter in trashy parks as there are no relics or old places to hunt where I live. So, your type of hunting may differ and retrieval methods may also differ. Keep practicing and good luck!
same thing I do even with my deus the wiggle backwards

All I know us that the original firmware keeps the target inside the plug 10x better than Ver 1.75, WITHOUT tricks or method changes. That is all I need to know

Targets wiggling the coil back are right on my coil tip...as good as any machine I’ve used. Never use the PPer because I don’t have to.....but I am doing it in the water.

No problems here, just "X" the target and pull the coil back until sound cuts off and the target is at the front edge of the coil. I don't understand all the issues with pinpointing after the update:shrug:. My 600 works like a charm.

5900_XL-1 said:
All I know us that the original firmware keeps the target inside the plug 10x better than Ver 1.75, WITHOUT tricks or method changes. That is all I need to know

Interesting, 5900_XL-1. Not sure why that is for you. I did not have the same experience at all, pre- and post-update. Both updates did an equally good job pinpointing, for me, but with 1.75, some of the "glitchy" issues with the pinpoint VOLUME (coming on quiet, at first, and sometimes staying quiet, until you'd dis-engage, and re-engage pinpoint) have been improved.

I am ASSUMING you are talking about using pinpoint mode, though; you may mean pinpointing using some other method.

Steve

sgoss66 said:

Interesting, 5900_XL-1. Not sure why that is for you. I did not have the same experience at all, pre- and post-update. Both updates did an equally good job pinpointing, for me, but with 1.75, some of the "glitchy" issues with the pinpoint VOLUME (coming on quiet, at first, and sometimes staying quiet, until you'd dis-engage, and re-engage pinpoint) have been improved.

I am ASSUMING you are talking about using pinpoint mode, though; you may mean pinpointing using some other method.

Steve

Yes, pinpointing. by using the pinpoint button, and waving the coil for the highest signal bars in the Nox screen, along with max audio volume. Ver 1.5, or me, keeps the target in the plug way better than Ver 1.75. The latest version had me digging 1.5 times the radius of the original target pinpoint spot. Coins simply had a higher incidence for being outside the side walls of the dug hole.

Since I have always used this method of pinpointing with all of my metal detectors, all I could do was try Ver 1.5 again, and it's been good for the size of my digs.

I may reload 1.75 again with the newer Upload/download engine to see if it makes any difference in pinpoint accuracy. This will be the last trial I'll do with 1.75 if I see my digs getting larger in size again. I am not worried about missing a silver half dollar on edge, not at the expense of over digging in public parks.

I did update to 1.75 version again and re tested in my home coin garden. I can't say for sure that the pinpoint was precise and accurate, but the high conductor numbers were bouncing to the higher 30s a lot, on 6"-8" quarter targets and a silver dime. I am a "numbers guy" and can only imagine what a rusty nail would hit like using 1.75.

Reverted back to Ver 1.5. Much more accurate VDI. For some reason, the tones sounded sweeter on 1.5 also. Could be that I've run V1.5 a lot more after getting the 600. I have to predict that the bouncy low to higher VDI numbers has a lot to do with it.

Good 'ol version 1.5, very trustworthy in my personal opinion. Trustworthy is good ;-)