Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Pinpointing OMG

I wonder if the reason for some of you not liking the firmware update is as follows? If you get used to the sounds and numbers of the original version and start becoming proficient with it, then switching to another firmware version is much like learning a new detector with a new learning curve. But I could be wrong. The update was supposed to improve detecting coins on edge among other issues. The VID numbers may be higher, but to me that is normal as I learn to use the Equinox running under the update. I downloaded and installed the new firmware before I used this detector, and haven't had any trouble with pinpointing. However, as another poster mentioned, a shallow coin for example, does in fact makes pinpointing radius wider than normal. I have had the same issues with other detectors, and learned to raise the coil by a few inches to pinpoint.

5900_XL-1 said:
I did update to 1.75 version again and re tested in my home coin garden. I can't say for sure that the pinpoint was precise and accurate, but the high conductor numbers were bouncing to the higher 30s a lot, on 6"-8" quarter targets and a silver dime. I am a "numbers guy" and can only imagine what a rusty nail would hit like using 1.75.

Reverted back to Ver 1.5. Much more accurate VDI. For some reason, the tones sounded sweeter on 1.5 also. Could be that I've run V1.5 a lot more after getting the 600. I have to predict that the bouncy low to higher VDI numbers has a lot to do with it.

Good 'ol version 1.5, very trustworthy in my personal opinion. Trustworthy is good ;-)

Interesting, 5900. Sounds like "maybe" pinpointing was improved for you on this load of 1.75, versus before?

BUT -- you did not like that you saw a change in VDI numbers. Yes, I've seen a bit of that, too. Some Memorial pennies are reading higher with the new (1.75) update for me -- upper 20s, at times, with the deep ones therefore fooling me into thinking they may be a silver dime. So I understand your point there.

Steve

sgoss66 said:
I did update to 1.75 version again and re tested in my home coin garden. I can't say for sure that the pinpoint was precise and accurate, but the high conductor numbers were bouncing to the higher 30s a lot, on 6"-8" quarter targets and a silver dime. I am a "numbers guy" and can only imagine what a rusty nail would hit like using 1.75.

Reverted back to Ver 1.5. Much more accurate VDI. For some reason, the tones sounded sweeter on 1.5 also. Could be that I've run V1.5 a lot more after getting the 600. I have to predict that the bouncy low to higher VDI numbers has a lot to do with it.

Good 'ol version 1.5, very trustworthy in my personal opinion. Trustworthy is good ;-)

Interesting, 5900. Sounds like "maybe" pinpointing was improved for you on this load of 1.75, versus before?

BUT -- you did not like that you saw a change in VDI numbers. Yes, I've seen a bit of that, too. Some Memorial pennies are reading higher with the new (1.75) update for me -- upper 20s, at times, with the deep ones therefore fooling me into thinking they may be a silver dime. So I understand your point there.

Steve

You are likely correct to a degree, concerning me liking 1.5 due to using it since May, until the update came out. I had such a wonderful "run" with it, especially within the first 3 weeks, finding silvers in old spots I'd about quit, plus another Franklin half. I have found only 5 half dollars in 10 years. This latest Franklin popped in 2 weeks with this machine. It bounced from 32-36 VDI, averaged and settles around 35.

Since the NOX number range stops at 40, Vdi numbers bouncing 32 and up to 38 a lot, using ver 1.75, really slows me down in deciding to dig with med to deeper depth signals. These rusty nails are a pain.

I have not seen a difference in pinpointing between 1.5 and 1.75. I have no problem with either.

Relying too much on numbers in the high conductor range of 18 and up will result in missed coins.
If you run 50 Tones you can make all of your high conductor dig decisions base on audio alone once you learn it.
Even in manicured city parks. That’s what I hunt.
I barely pay attention to the numbers in that range. Only out of curiosity to see what the coin, if it is one MIGHT be.
I just use numbers to make sure it is 17 and above, which is my high conductor cutoff point.

I’m not sure what numbers in that range besides maybe 39-40 that you would not dig.
Coin numbers next to trash, on edge or real deep will bounce around, but once isolated
using 50 tones you will learn what a good target sounds like.

I do use ID for Nickels just because they are extremely tight on my Equinox (12-13)
and there is just too much trash in city parks to chase a bunch of mid conductors for my liking.
I accept that I am missing some Nickels and of course some jewelry.

Bryan

...........20+ folks chipped in to 'assist' and not a peep from the Poster...??? Did we help? Did we talk bollox???'

Somebody may have already suggested this but.......just throw a coin on the ground and pinpoint it. Instant answer on where it pinpoints. Also, sweep around a bit to get an idea about coil edges, they will sound off also and throw you off.

Architex said:
Somebody may have already suggested this but.......just throw a coin on the ground and pinpoint it. Instant answer on where it pinpoints. Also, sweep around a bit to get an idea about coil edges, they will sound off also and throw you off.

You would think that it would be that simple. The ground or something, with buried coins, throws accuracy off. My M6 with a concentric coil reads pinpoint accurate, as does my FBS units do. Surface coins always hit center with the Nox, either version, as long as nothing else in within the coil area. Just sayin'

In my experience, 1.75 throws off center/pinpoint exactness way worse than 1.5, with "in-ground" targets of moderate to deep targets, pre-dig. The VDI bouncing high on simple dimes in the ground, is lame IMPO. Simply too whacky.

An apology due from me Sandnsea.
Just saw from your other Posts you were recently in the wars with a knew replacement / sore back and so on so it must be really hard for you to go about the hobby?
Merry Christmas and hope 2019 will be a healthier year for you!

Yes, my targets were 2-3 inches deep. I practiced with coins above the ground like I always do to find out where on the coil it pinpoints. On my coil it is right where the shaft and coil attach. I did better the other day by not only pinpointing but shutting off PP and using the front and back of the coil to also center the target. This worked pretty well and it also sizes the target. So my holes were not as big. Deeper targets were easier to PP

I hit memorial pennies anywhere from 19 to 25. The 25 is a lot of digging because I think it is a dime so I don't pass it up.

My pinpoint volume does the same thing occasionally, quiet then loud after re-engaging. That's with version 1.75. I thought it was the lag from the headphones.

It's almost Christmas and kinda crazy so I was not on the net until today. Please look at my current responses. Things are going better with the PP thanks to all the suggestions here.

(park) not beach Pinpointing has been a Mix bag....... thanks for all the info